Used 2001 Chevrolet Suburban SUV Consumer Reviews - 78 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Chevrolet Suburban SUV - Consumer Reviews

2001 Chevrolet Suburban SUV

View reviews for a specific Suburban model:

Driving on clouds
By Danielle White

2001 Chevrolet Suburban SUV 2500 4WD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

Know that if you buy this vehicle you will have a reliable vehicle for life. I purchased my Suburban in 2001 with 22K miles on it and have driven this vehicle for 13 years as far as Nova Scotia Canada as well as many, many other states but this vehicle has taken me many miles and I have not had any problems with it. The tires are a little pricey but what can you expect for such a mega vehicle. The seats are comfortable, seating is awesome and which is why I purchased. I was infatuated with having a vehicle that seated 9 although at the time I only had 1 child. The vehicle has so much space. We would travel and be able to leave all the seats in and take our child bike as well as luggage. When we all wanted to take bikes we would take out the 3rd row and the bikes would sit up in there without taking any wheels off as well as luggage and cooler. I can't say anything bad about the Suburban. I cried when I sold mine. So 13years later and 289,000 miles!!!!! I sold my vehicle because I did notice around 270,000 miles the engine requires work. Watch out for the coils, its like 8 of them and they cost a whopping chunk of change. I could not get the check engine light to go off once I hit 270K miles no matter what I did to repair the vehicle. I still have no complaints because for the whole life of the truck I never fixed anything on the truck except replacing the fuel pump $600 so this baby has been good to me. Also please note as the truck gets older the gas mileage gets better. I drove from Raleigh NC to Orlando FL roundtrip for $228. Awesome!!!Once I had the engine problems I spent about $1200 on the car and still couldn't get the truck to drive as it once did and I lost my job and was unable to continue to work on the truck so I sold it for $3000 which I am more than satisfied with. I cried and kissed my baby on the day of sale. I wish I could have kept it forever and I would have changed out the motor and kept it moving....Please keep in mind, I am a woman driver and drove my baby like she was built but at the same time I took great care of her so I know that had something to do with how good of shape she was still in and how she was able to be reliable for me. I am in the market for buying another one.....

Great big family on the move vehicle
By flfamonthegogo

2001 Chevrolet Suburban SUV 1500 2WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

We bought our 2001 suburban in 2003 with fairly low miles, after our 4th son was born and we realized that we were not 'van people'. We have almost 300,000 miles on it!! We have had to get the transmission rebuilt twice, and the fuel pump replace. It leaks oil, and coolant. We live in Florida, so we just use water....nothing freezes here . :) I get regular maintenance on it, and keep the tires good. It does eat some gas, but truly it isn't as bad as it could be. We can go from Tampa-Daytona and back on a tank, with spare to run all over Daytona. And Tampa-Atlanta is just over a tank each way. It takes awhile to heat up now (on cold mornings) but it's also old.

I love my 'big white bus' and everything it offers me; very comfortable heated leather seats, lumbar support, storage galore!!! I love the hide away tire changing kit.

Indestructible
By jaspell

2001 Chevrolet Suburban SUV 1500 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

We are now at 290,000 on Old Bessie and she is still going strong.
We change the oil every 4000 miles and it's still going strong.
The only repairs we have had are the power steering pump, the belt tensioner, and an intake plenum.
I think we may have put it one starter but I'm not sure.
Basically this car is start and drive.

It's old, it's dented and it leaks oil a bit (leaks, not burns) but I would still drive this thing through hell.
Awesome comfortable car.

Dependability, comfort, power, roominess.

None.

The Burb Keeps Going!
By Dave

2001 Chevrolet Suburban SUV 1500 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

We have used our Suburban for just about everything. We travel all over the city hauling the kids and their sports equipment every weekend and also use the vehicle to pull our seadoos. Have used the Suburban in the snow, sand, and mud with no problems driving the vehicle on/off road. Plenty of power for highway driving which is fun to drive!

Plenty of interior room, dual buckets seats, and the heated seats are nice too! Plenty of horsepower and we get pretty good mileage on the highway.

Great SUV
By Sergio

2001 Chevrolet Suburban SUV 1500 2WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this vehicle new and it has been great. It has 85,000 miles and only major repair has been a leaking water pump. It is great for long trips with plenty of room for the family, baggage and equipment.

Ride, looks, and comfort.