Used 2000 Chevrolet Suburban SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Chevrolet Suburban - Consumer Reviews

2000 Chevrolet Suburban SUV

View reviews for a specific Suburban model:

Safety, Safety, Safety!
By Campbell

2000 Chevrolet Suburban SUV 1500 LS 4dr SUV

My family was recently rear-ended by an 18-wheeler on I-75 in our Surburban. We all walked away with minor scratches and bruises. We have had some mechanical problems in the past(fuel pump, transmission and rear-end problems) but I don't think I will ever trust another vehicle as much. The "burb" was totalled and I felt I was leaving my "Best Friend behind". I don't think many cars would have taken the hit we did and keep us as safe as this one did. I will be buying another one, you better believe! Mechanical problems can be fixed, family sometimes can't.

Favorite Features

Love the roominess, we have had all nine places in use and we were very comfortable. I have had it loaded with even kitchen cabinets. Its huge! Again, though, my favorite would have to be safety.

Suggested Improvements

My husband would like to see Chevy work on the mechanical problems more. We got 18 MPG though, not bad for such a huge SUV.

What a fun, functional car!
By danblocker1106

2000 Chevrolet Suburban SUV 1500 LT 4dr SUV

I have owned this car for 7yrs. It has been a great car. We have 6 in our home and often take our grown children and grandchildren places and to the lake. We can fill the car with 9 people, luggage in the back and top of car. In addition we tow a large pontoon boat or a travel trailer. Gas mileage is reasonable. The service cost has been very small. I have a very bad back with chronic pain. Yet, I am very comfortable in this car. It looks great!

Favorite Features

Room for 9. The 4 wheel drive (fun for hunting, fishing, and camping.) Child safety door locks. Reasonable gas mileage. Very reliable!

Suggested Improvements

I love the new climate controls on 2007's. I think the new towing package on the back that has changed on the 2007 has solved the biggest problem. I can think of nothing else that needs work!

Best Car Ever Built.
By Mike Barber

2000 Chevrolet Suburban SUV 1500 LT 4dr SUV

This is truly the best driving and most versatile vehicle ever built.It has all the power I need for any use.And for long trips there is no other way to go.I now have over 130k miles on this 2000 LT,and the only thing I have done to it is put a new water pump on it at 126k miles.And it still drives like new. I wish it got a little better gas milage,but its worth that sacrifice.We have this one and a GMC Yukon XL Denali and both of these vehicles are the cars of all cars.

Best one out of 5
By hardcore

2000 Chevrolet Suburban SUV 2500 4dr SUV 4WD

Have owned 4 other 'Burbs, this one is awesome. 4000 miles in first month. Should of bought it sooner. Excellent brakes, unlike prior models. 6.0 is a pleasant surprise. Doesn't ride like a 3/4 ton but tows like a 1 ton. Love the dash & A/C vent layout. Push button 4x4, way cool & AutoTrac already kept me on track once. Towing an ElDorado on a car trailer in terrain ranging from 1500' to 6000' I avg 10.5 mpg. With the 5 of us and luggage,(nothing towed) I saw 14.5 mpg on flat land. These are real numbers & I didn't spend time in the right lane. Besides, if you don't realize bigger is safer, and can't handle the gas bill, this isn't for you.

Favorite Features

4 wheel disc brakes, side airbags, T/V, 4 captian chairs, spare outside, sound system, leather interior, build quality, ice cold A/C, easy & enjoyable to drive, factory tow package, 6.0 powerband different (higher RPM) than 7.4 but much, much more. In short, I like EVERYTHING about it.

Suggested Improvements

NorthStar overrated & to much money. Where's the Duramax? Not all diesel fans can use a p/u. More rear cargo room needed. When you see a 73-91 burb, you KNOW it's a burb, GM needs to find that attitude again & apply it to the exterior. Trucks included.

Fuel pump failure
By Noillinator

2000 Chevrolet Suburban SUV 1500 LT 4dr SUV

I have 60,000 miles on this truck and the fuel pump failed. The service center said they see this a lot and that you have to keep 1/4 tank of gas to keep the pump cool. That is nonsense if you ask me. I am glad I wasn't driving this vehicle when the pump went out. That could have been bad. This was a potential death trap. The interior isn't as nice as my 1996. They really cheapened the seat. The rear radio contriol can't take abuse. I had to replace this when I bought it. I used to be a supplier to GM and can't believe the abuse they gave me regarding my parts. I guess the best I can do is head a warning to GM that this is my last GM car.

Favorite Features

None

Suggested Improvements

The fuel pump design.