2000 Chevrolet Suburban SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Suburban model:
Love this Suburban
By Rick on 10/23/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet Suburban SUV 1500 LS 4dr SUV

This is the fourth suburban that I have owned and the first one that I have bought brand new. It has served me well in every function that I have used it. I occasionally have to drive off road to job sites in my job, only got stuck once and that was in a plowed field. I love the traction in deep snow which is needed for my driveway which is 600 feet long. It has great control during heavy rainstorms also. All this plus a great ride on the highway too. I have a big pop up camping trailer and it tows like it's not even there. I have had it loaded down and pulling a loaded 14 ft trailer moving people and furniture and it has performed excellently. Great ride for only having 2 wheel drive.

Chevy Quality?
By bman on 09/14/09 21:51 PM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet Suburban SUV 1500 LT 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought this truck in 2003 with 35k on it. have put 100k on it since then. steers more like a mini van than a truck, rides better also. Have replaced every power window motor at least once, replaced transmission at 105K have replaced 4 oxygen sensors and still have engine trouble light on. push button 4 WD switch doesn't always work, door locks occasionally don't work, check 4 WD light comes on but no mechanic can figure out why, wheel speed sensor in front wheel hubs were repaired under recall once but again don't work causing ABS to activate at speeds less than 5 mph such as when you are trying to stop at a redlight, causing brakes to not work, have had several near fender- benders.

Oldy but Goodie
By Dave on 12/01/08 14:09 PM (PST)

2000 Chevrolet Suburban SUV 1500 LS 4dr SUV 4WD

We purchased this truck used with 77K miles on it for the 3rd row seating. Plus my wife isn't the best of driver, so if she got into an accident, there is a good chance of her and my kids walking away. We now have 111K miles. I have replaced the shocks, tires, and alternator, in the last four years. American quality I feel is more than reached by this vehicle seeing how the above is routine/scheduled maintance. Gas is not the greatest in the city, but on the highway, fill up with Plus grade, and see your avg shoot from 18mgs to over 28 mpgs going 70 plus mph on the highway. We have done long road trips with this truck for quite sometime now. If you can find one in good shape buy it

Great car
By shane on 07/13/08 15:45 PM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet Suburban SUV 1500 LT 4dr SUV

Great car has lasted for years. Subarans are fun to drive. Had it for 8 years and looks brand new still. Great for going places and very reliable

189k and still going... what a tank
By mountainman68 on 05/24/07 12:29 PM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet Suburban SUV 2500 4dr SUV 4WD

My 2000 Suburban is a 3/4ton 4x4 LT and gets me anywhere I want to go. I've been through snow 4 feet deep. The 6.0L vortec really pulls through. Ive been up 7% grades 100 times. It has seen the backwoods, towed 11k trailers, and has been through deep mud and water on hunting season. I bought this truck with 16k on it and it now has nearly 190k with nothing more than belts, tires, and 2 sets of brakes replaced. I pull out trucks all the time up by our cabin in mariposa pines, our toyhauler on the beach, and i love the feeling of owning a huge american tank.

Safety, Safety, Safety!
By Campbell on 04/19/07 18:14 PM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet Suburban SUV 1500 LS 4dr SUV

My family was recently rear-ended by an 18-wheeler on I-75 in our Surburban. We all walked away with minor scratches and bruises. We have had some mechanical problems in the past(fuel pump, transmission and rear-end problems) but I don't think I will ever trust another vehicle as much. The "burb" was totalled and I felt I was leaving my "Best Friend behind". I don't think many cars would have taken the hit we did and keep us as safe as this one did. I will be buying another one, you better believe! Mechanical problems can be fixed, family sometimes can't.

What a fun, functional car!
By danblocker1106 on 11/10/06 16:04 PM (PST)

2000 Chevrolet Suburban SUV 1500 LT 4dr SUV

I have owned this car for 7yrs. It has been a great car. We have 6 in our home and often take our grown children and grandchildren places and to the lake. We can fill the car with 9 people, luggage in the back and top of car. In addition we tow a large pontoon boat or a travel trailer. Gas mileage is reasonable. The service cost has been very small. I have a very bad back with chronic pain. Yet, I am very comfortable in this car. It looks great!

Best Car Ever Built.
By Mike Barber on 12/01/05 14:54 PM (PST)

2000 Chevrolet Suburban SUV 1500 LT 4dr SUV

This is truly the best driving and most versatile vehicle ever built.It has all the power I need for any use.And for long trips there is no other way to go.I now have over 130k miles on this 2000 LT,and the only thing I have done to it is put a new water pump on it at 126k miles.And it still drives like new. I wish it got a little better gas milage,but its worth that sacrifice.We have this one and a GMC Yukon XL Denali and both of these vehicles are the cars of all cars.

Best one out of 5
By hardcore on 09/21/05 01:58 AM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet Suburban SUV 2500 4dr SUV 4WD

Have owned 4 other 'Burbs, this one is awesome. 4000 miles in first month. Should of bought it sooner. Excellent brakes, unlike prior models. 6.0 is a pleasant surprise. Doesn't ride like a 3/4 ton but tows like a 1 ton. Love the dash & A/C vent layout. Push button 4x4, way cool & AutoTrac already kept me on track once. Towing an ElDorado on a car trailer in terrain ranging from 1500' to 6000' I avg 10.5 mpg. With the 5 of us and luggage,(nothing towed) I saw 14.5 mpg on flat land. These are real numbers & I didn't spend time in the right lane. Besides, if you don't realize bigger is safer, and can't handle the gas bill, this isn't for you.

Fuel pump failure
By Noillinator on 07/05/05 10:07 AM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet Suburban SUV 1500 LT 4dr SUV

I have 60,000 miles on this truck and the fuel pump failed. The service center said they see this a lot and that you have to keep 1/4 tank of gas to keep the pump cool. That is nonsense if you ask me. I am glad I wasn't driving this vehicle when the pump went out. That could have been bad. This was a potential death trap. The interior isn't as nice as my 1996. They really cheapened the seat. The rear radio contriol can't take abuse. I had to replace this when I bought it. I used to be a supplier to GM and can't believe the abuse they gave me regarding my parts. I guess the best I can do is head a warning to GM that this is my last GM car.