1999 Chevrolet Suburban SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Suburban model:
The best large size SUV ever
By Eyal on 10/07/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Suburban SUV C1500 4dr SUV

I had this vehicle for 4 1/2 years,LT 4x4 and all the toys+entertainment center for the kids,nothing but joy.Made a huge!!!!! mistake and traded it in last year for a 2003 nissan pathfinder,what a mistake!

I enjoy it!
By Daiquiri27 on 09/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Suburban SUV C1500 4dr SUV

I bought my 1999 used (70K) and don't have anything negative to say about it. I really enjoy driving it. I also drive a 2002 Mazda Miata and frankly it's a refreshing change of pace to drive the Suburban. It's very comfortable and I feel extremely safe.

Love my Suburban
By gagrice on 09/01/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Suburban SUV K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

I use the vehicle for trips and a bit around town. Get 13 mpg consistently in town and 17 - 19 on the highway. The only thing that has acted up is the trip odometer. A dealer in San Diego replaced the unit. I have had the vehicle over 5 years with no mechanical problems. I am still driving on the original Firestone tires at 42,000 miles. I think it is a great vehicle with more room than anything on the road including the Excursion.

My 1999 Suburban
By Ken Garwick on 08/30/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Suburban SUV C1500 4dr SUV

The only major problem experienced was the computer/transmission glitch where code 1870 kept coming up after "Check engine soon" warning. First happened at 12,000 miles. At 60,000 miles I had to replace valve body ($1,100) but that did not fix the problem and the "bumb" rough shifting from start thru 2nd. Replaced valve body again at 160,000 and all is fine. Chevy tried many times to sell me a $3,000 tranny.

Poor Review
By dhhd222 on 07/25/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Suburban SUV C1500 4dr SUV

This car takes so much gas...there are so many more suv's that can hold the same amount of passangers but do not have such a poor fuel economy...i have needed a new alternator 3 times and a new transmission 2 times...i will never buy another cheverolet again

Good Road Vehicle
By shine on 06/20/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Suburban SUV K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased this Suburban new in 1999. At 21,000 miles it began to use oil. The number 5 cylinder valve guide had to be replaced. At 55,000 miles the right side head gasket began to leak antifreeze and had to replace gasket. However, I will say this is the best highway vehicle built. It rides better than the best cars. The 5.7 L (350) is too small for this size of a vehicle and that is a downer. The 4wd works like a champ in mud and slick roads. The auto on the fly is great. This will be the last "beast" I will own as gas goes up in price.

199 subur4ban
By RNA on 06/14/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Suburban SUV K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought the car with 35k miles and have spent $1000 on brakes, The rotors are nearly gone, they squeal when new and old and everything in between and have never worked very well. But the worst is the rear differential.I pull a trailer, about 5000 lbs,and the differential has gone out twice. It definitely can not handle the load claimed by the factory for towing and the factory won't stand behind it. Also the gas gauge stopped working at 80k miles and the dealer says it is $750 to fix and no offers from the factory. I have talked to other people who have had the same problem with chevy trucks gas gauges.

Utility at a price
By Jwelch on 05/13/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Suburban SUV C1500 4dr SUV

The 1999 LS 2wd was our fourth Burb, but the first one purchased new. Replaced transmission at 41000. Seems like new brakes every 16000 miles. My biggest irritation has been a periodic starting problem--probably 12 times so far. It will decide not to start. You turn the key and it sounds like a normal start, except it does not progress to idle. The illness can last anywhere from 20 minutes to 3 hours. Then, it starts and runs as if nothing has been wrong. Typically, these incidents occur when we're out of town.

Has done the job
By Spain1966 on 02/26/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Suburban SUV K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

The one and only. Gas guzzler extrodinaire, but we have enjoyed it as a multipurpose family car. Great for long trips, and great in bad weather.

1999 suburban
By rffortier on 02/12/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Suburban SUV K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

This is my 4th suburban, and I would not drive anything else with my 8 kids!