Used 1999 Chevrolet Suburban SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Chevrolet Suburban - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Suburban model:

Dependable at times
By Bigg Poppa P

1999 Chevrolet Suburban SUV C1500 LT 4dr SUV

Bought used with 78K to tow our 21 foot Outback TT. Tows OK. Replaced battery, altenator, starter and original tires at 80000. Fuel gauge needle vibrates. Changed engine oil to synthetic had minor leaks, went back to regular QS. Installed Magnaflow muffler with dual outs, K&N air filter and throttle body spacer. HP and mileage improved. Front discs warped did complete brake job. Manifold gasket replaced at 111000 and new starter. The DRL's worked when we bought it. Now they come on whenever. Fuel pump very loud since we bought it and is hanging in there. Small leak in A/C system. Water leaks from hard rains cleaned drain no luck. Headlite lenses dull bought new ones. Buy again? Newer maybe!

Favorite Features

Inside space and exterior looks.

Suggested Improvements

Beefier brakes, bigger tire/wheel size, stronger tranny, reliable fuel pump, better manifold gaskets, higher output alternator and battery, more horsepower and torque. Overall quality!

Lots of room, that's it
By Kevin

1999 Chevrolet Suburban SUV K1500 LT 4dr SUV 4WD

Love the room. Thatís all. Man, this thing has been expensive to maintain. At 110,000, had to put an $800 fuel pump in it while on vacation. The ac/heat blower motor only works on high now. Mechanics say a $40.00 sensor is bad, but since it requires the removal of the dash... labor alone is $450.00. Power locks usually donít work. Left rear window only rolls down half way. Passenger seat heater comes on and off.

Favorite Features

Lots of power and lots of room

Suggested Improvements

Build some components that last. Other than the engine, this thing is very poor quality and reliability. Very dissappointed.

I love my Suburban
By Jett1

1999 Chevrolet Suburban SUV K1500 LT 4dr SUV 4WD

Gas mileage is what you would expect for size and capacity. In short, extremely reliable, 5.7 4wd it has taken care of my wife and 3 kids very well. Been in 2 accidents. The truck has over 170k on it now I'm getting concerned about the transmission but it hasnt given me a reason yet. I plan on keeping it till they ban gas or it rusts out.

Favorite Features

4wd, ton of space, great towing capacity my wife loves the heated seats

Suggested Improvements

Design of the front brakes. The single piston calipers tend to warp the rotors, which they did improve in new design. Lower the price of these trucks. A total year's salary to pay for a vehicle in crazy.

I love my truck
By Mo

1999 Chevrolet Suburban SUV K1500 LS 4dr SUV 4WD

Purchased this truck used with 47,000 miles on it in 2001. Have taken several major road trips, now have over 160,000 miles on it. Last summer, in the mountains, fuel pump went, not good. Need to expect some major repairs on a vehicle with this many miles tho'. With soaring gas prices I have entertained getting something more economical, however, after reading these reviews, I am encouraged that reliability, power and comfort might be worth the trade off in gas dollars. There's no beating it for hiway driving, so much more visibility and appreciate the higher profile. Still hauling kids, think I've convinced myself to keep it til it dies! Been told they can go for 300K

Favorite Features

Body style, roominess, smooth ride, large gas tank, 4WD (need it in Wisconsin)

Suggested Improvements

Just that gas mileage!

Great Truck
By mike

1999 Chevrolet Suburban SUV K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

Great vehicle very little problems even with 113k on the odometer. Plenty of room inside for my family of 6, plus a friend or two. It's great for long trips, very comfortable to drive. Tows the camper or Jeep great.

Favorite Features

I enjoy the heated leather seats on cold winter mornings. Sound system is decent for a '99 truck.