Used 1999 Chevrolet Suburban SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Chevrolet Suburban SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Suburban model:

The Best large SUV made
By CJ

1999 Chevrolet Suburban SUV K1500 LS 4dr SUV 4WD

I have had my Chevy suburban for nearly 9 years, I have thought of selling it for a newer SUV but it is so reliable and it handles great in all weather conditions, I just can't part with it. It can pull our boat or camper, take the baseball equiptment and players to the field, or pack our college student up for school. It also fits all my daughters comp. dance equiptment, and I can fit the full size garment rack in it, without taking it apart. I don't travel very far on normal weeks, so I only have to fill the gas tank every 3 weeks. Great family vehicle.

The amazing amount of space for cargo and passengers, drives like a car not a truck. The winter weather handling gives me a sense of safty. Dual air/heat.

Brighter back up lights

1999 Suburban - OK, but could be better
By Helpsuburban

1999 Chevrolet Suburban SUV K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

My wife bought used in July 2007 from used car dealer. Looked good on lot, everything appeared to work. Dealer said transmission had already been replaced. As previous postings said - door locks and actuators not working properly. Would not start, could not find problem. After major tune-up restarted. Had to replace brakes. Serpentine belt broke. It's OK, but could be better for the money.

Spacious, nice interior, rides great.

Most postings report the same problems. Chevy should have had these issues ironed out before putting on market. What happened to pre-testing?

A beast of comfort and reliability.
By father of four

1999 Chevrolet Suburban SUV K1500 LT 4dr SUV 4WD

Yes, these times might make you say to yourself - my gosh, can I afford the gas. Well, if you can find a vehicle that can haul as much as this can, can motor across most any surface - dry, slick, or wet, and can haul this many folks in comfort all while getting better gas mileage, well, I say go for it. I have had this vehicle since it was new, and I swear by it. Yep, it'll eat brakes, but its about 4 tons of truck so that's to be expected. Comfort is an understatement. Safety is an understatement. Put the kids in their seats and strap them in and you're fine. And I have had no real issues with relability, just normal maintenance issues that were easily fixed.

Front and rear A/C. Good sound system. Good torque and HP. Outstanding comfort. Can pull with vigor. Good traction in all conditions with the right tires.

The sliding seat forward on the right passenger side can be removed, but sliding it back and forth for access to the 3d seat is a non starter for kids. They just jump the seat and plop down in the back.

My 99 Burban
By Brian

1999 Chevrolet Suburban SUV K1500 LT 4dr SUV 4WD

It used to have a 2" lift in the rear & ran gr8 until my boss sold it to my job. They replaced the motor at 110k. The day I bought it, the radiator broke. It ran great for a while. Besides the regular maintenance, I replaced oil plug (thanks castrol 10 min oil change), distributor, front rotors, hub bearings, 4 shocks, new tires, u- joints, rotors, shoes & pads, bank 2 cat. converter & o2 sensor. I still have a shake in the rear end but no one knows what is causing the truck to shake. They told me tires but I am not changing them again unless they are paying for it. I was told rear end or trany but unless they are going to pay 4 it, i'm leaving it alone. Cannot go over 70 mph.

Besides the shake, it is an awesome truck. I get 630 miles the the big 42 gal. tank. It costs around $90 to $130.00 to fill up. I can drive from central Fla. to central Norht Carolina in one tank.

Get rid of the shake while driving & the shake when iddleing (the shake when iddleing & driving is 2 different shakes). I have proved it to the mechanics but no one can tell me what is causing it.

My family loves it
By Love it

1999 Chevrolet Suburban SUV K1500 LS 4dr SUV 4WD

We bought this truck for trips and moderate city driving. It has been great with a family of three and two large labs. My wife loves to drive it even though it seems like a very large vehicle. This is the best experience I've had with a Chevy. I plan on driving it until the wheels fall off. We have had good luck with maintance. Currently it has 89000 miles.

Love the room and large gas tank

Better access to third row