Used 1999 Chevrolet Suburban SUV Consumer Reviews - 99 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Chevrolet Suburban SUV - Consumer Reviews

1999 Chevrolet Suburban SUV

View reviews for a specific Suburban model:

Suburban K1500 4X4
By BourbonK1500

1999 Chevrolet Suburban SUV K1500 LS 4dr SUV 4WD

I have mixed reviews on the Suburban. The 4x4 was a must, and has worked well, though i have been stuck. The Suburban is fast for its size and accelerates well, however it gets 10 mpg, and needs the 44 gallon tank, which now gosts about $200 to fill. Since my purchase at the end of 05 I have put 50k on the vehicle but had to replace the fuel pump, alternator, water pump, and the entire rear end, and (get this) 2 new transmissions. First replacement at 80k and one at 110k. Currenlty vehicle has 120k. Nice power locks, windows, leather seats, comfortable to drive and take on trips.

Heavy, acceleration, 4x4, good overall speed, smoothest ride, better than any truck for taking bumps on the road. I would rather be in this than any other vehicle in a crash. It is almost like driving a tank.

How about a little more mpg? Chevy, can you build a damn transmission that doesn't go out at 80k? This is the 3rd Chevy vehicle I have had to replace the tranny at 80k.

A Total Work Horse
By ALM396

1999 Chevrolet Suburban SUV K2500 LT 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought it two years old off a lease return and it has performed awesome since. Pulls my race car trailer with little effort and holds hockey equipment for three kids with room to spare. At 160K I replaced the fuel pump and the water pump twice since I've owned it plus the intake gasket which is a know issue. Since it just turned 183K I can't call that excessive. It always starts and drives well and handles the New England snow like a champ. It's as roomy and comfortable as my living room. Love this truck!

Towing capacity is great and it town nice a straight. Plenty of space for my kids and anything they can think of packing with them.

Headlamp bezels made of glass, not plastic. Mine are showing their age. Stronger fold down flaps. My old Suburban had metal flaps but these are lighweight boards of some type. Bad idea. Lay down a sheet of plywood before anyting heavy goes in.

The Best large SUV made
By CJ

1999 Chevrolet Suburban SUV K1500 LS 4dr SUV 4WD

I have had my Chevy suburban for nearly 9 years, I have thought of selling it for a newer SUV but it is so reliable and it handles great in all weather conditions, I just can't part with it. It can pull our boat or camper, take the baseball equiptment and players to the field, or pack our college student up for school. It also fits all my daughters comp. dance equiptment, and I can fit the full size garment rack in it, without taking it apart. I don't travel very far on normal weeks, so I only have to fill the gas tank every 3 weeks. Great family vehicle.

The amazing amount of space for cargo and passengers, drives like a car not a truck. The winter weather handling gives me a sense of safty. Dual air/heat.

Brighter back up lights

1999 Suburban - OK, but could be better
By Helpsuburban

1999 Chevrolet Suburban SUV K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

My wife bought used in July 2007 from used car dealer. Looked good on lot, everything appeared to work. Dealer said transmission had already been replaced. As previous postings said - door locks and actuators not working properly. Would not start, could not find problem. After major tune-up restarted. Had to replace brakes. Serpentine belt broke. It's OK, but could be better for the money.

Spacious, nice interior, rides great.

Most postings report the same problems. Chevy should have had these issues ironed out before putting on market. What happened to pre-testing?

A beast of comfort and reliability.
By father of four

1999 Chevrolet Suburban SUV K1500 LT 4dr SUV 4WD

Yes, these times might make you say to yourself - my gosh, can I afford the gas. Well, if you can find a vehicle that can haul as much as this can, can motor across most any surface - dry, slick, or wet, and can haul this many folks in comfort all while getting better gas mileage, well, I say go for it. I have had this vehicle since it was new, and I swear by it. Yep, it'll eat brakes, but its about 4 tons of truck so that's to be expected. Comfort is an understatement. Safety is an understatement. Put the kids in their seats and strap them in and you're fine. And I have had no real issues with relability, just normal maintenance issues that were easily fixed.

Front and rear A/C. Good sound system. Good torque and HP. Outstanding comfort. Can pull with vigor. Good traction in all conditions with the right tires.

The sliding seat forward on the right passenger side can be removed, but sliding it back and forth for access to the 3d seat is a non starter for kids. They just jump the seat and plop down in the back.