1999 Chevrolet Suburban - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Suburban model:
My Suburban
By D. Lewis on 02/28/05 17:15 PM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 LS 4dr SUV 4WD

What a great ride for long trips! Many trips across the states (sometimes towing a trailer) made for a smooth reliable ride. My only complaint is how the light bulbs burn out so easily in the dash and in particular the radio (I've seen this problem on numerous Chevy/GMC trucks/SUV's) Upgrading my shocks to Rancho 5000's made the ride smooth/predicable and better for towing.

Very roomy-lots of rattles & problems
By 99LT on 02/25/05 18:08 PM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 LT 4dr SUV 4WD

This is a great SUV for long road trips. Very roomy and can hold lots of cargo. Other than that, it is not a good choice in my opinion. Plan on spending much time and money at the local mechanic. Also plan on having many rattles, squeaks and wind noise. Purchased a used Suburban rather than new to avoid having a car payment but quarterly repairs have made this vehicle almost as expensive as a new Suburban. I would recommend the new body style if you must purchase a Suburban. I would not recommend this vehicle to anyone and do not plan on buying another Suburban in the future... which is too bad because I have been told the new models are much better.

Hooked
By MGVasquez on 11/15/04 23:28 PM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Suburban C1500 LT 4dr SUV

With more room than anybody knows what to do with, I have to say that the Marine Corps appreciates this vehicle a lot. With space for 8 Marines plus cargo, I can get my entire shop to the airstrip with ease. Cross country trips are a breeze, and the entertainment system helps keep the kids at ease. No major problems have occured, only a new battery at 77,000. And a minor A/C leak in a metal fitting that I patched for $3.00 And if you do buy any vehicle of this type I highly recommend buying bosch 4 prong platinum spark plugs that can raise gas mileage by up to 7 mpg.

Great for its size
By skudrunner on 10/28/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Suburban C1500 LS 4dr SUV

I bought my 99 LS new in 1998 for business reasons. Now has 138000 miles and still runs strong. Have replaced normal wear items and starter 3 times, blower control, manifold gasket. Service trans every 50k and use synthetic oil change every 5k. It rattles over bumps but not to bad, mileage between 15-17 and requires a mortgage to fill up when empty but will go 600 miles on a tank. Great on the hwy and not bad around town. Would buy another one if I needed the size, which I don't, and will go with a Honda Pilot when this one wears out.

Very Unreliable
By Todd P. on 10/21/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 LT 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought w/ 50,000 miles from private seller and had all maintenance records from the dealership where purchased. At 73,000 miles had intake replaced by dealer and at 75,000 had to have engine replaced. During this time have had to replace ALL automatic door locks, rear light, emissions sensor, and rear door catch. This has been a money pit since purchased. I love the room but the quality is awful. Chevrolet and the dealership refused to help on the engine even after a complaint to the Better Business Bureau. I am trading for a Toyota tomorrow and will never own a GM product again. Good luck to anyone who purchases one of these vehicles.

We dumped it!
By chbeyer on 08/19/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Suburban C1500 4dr SUV

Our suburban had numerous quality problems. We paid 38K for it and the left door (back seat) squeaked for the entire time we owned the vehicle. The dealer couldnt fix it. The power window on the drivers side went out. An incredibly overrated poor quality vehicle.

RATTLES
By gerald shokes on 06/21/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Suburban C1500 4dr SUV

VERY COMFORTABLE ON LONG TRIPS WITH LARGE LOAD CAPACITIES. ROAD MILAGE IS MUCH BETTER THAN THE EVERYDAY AROUND TOWN MILAGE. DRIVABILITY IS EXCELLENT. HANDLING IS EXCELLENT. POWER IS EXCELLENT. WORRY ABOUT THE TRANS. ,DUE TO MY SON HAS AREADY HAD TO REPLACE HIS 98' TAHOE TRANS. AT 50K MILES.ONLY USE MOBILE ONE OIL WITH NO LEAKS AND PRESENTLY HAVE 80K MILES ON MY SUBURBAN SINCE PURCHASED. DRIVES DOOR RATTLES GOING OVER BUMPS AT ANY SPEED, SUSPECT LOOSE AUTO WINDOW MECH.

1999 K2500 Diesel Suburban Testimony
By rbellew on 05/20/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Suburban K2500 4dr SUV 4WD

Here are the facts from the last 24 months/39K miles. Mostly highway time with no towing. - '99 diesel Suburban 4x4 with 83K - Injection pump resistor pack failed - Rear pinion bearing recently failed - Both motor mounts failed - Four door lock actuators failed - A/C compressor badly leaking oil - A/C condensation leaks on carpet - Rusting at the bottom of 4 doors - Rear barn doors leak severely - More repairs in prior GM records - Market value drops faster than loan This vehicle doesn't come close to the quality and reliability of my '94 Ford Ranger 4x4.

rear axle
By broke on 05/08/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased my suburban used with only 13400 original miles, buy the time I had reached 43000 I had to rebuild the rear end for $700.00, the brakes 600 and 1100.00 for Air Conditioning. Like a sponge, not a rock. The rear end was set up wrong by the factory. I have gotten an avg. of 14 mpg would I buy another no way.

Very good car...when parked.
By kody on 04/21/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased my 1999 Chevy Suburban only a year ago. The previous owner has all service records and apparently kept the vehicle on the recommended maintenance schedule. Unlike some reviewers have posted, I have not run into many major mechanical problems. However, I am going to complain about the countless rattles, squeaks and thumps. The build quality of this vehicle may be the worst I have ever come across (and I have owned many different cars). The new Suburbans appear to be more solid than the pre 2000 models but this car may prevent me from ever buying GM again.