Used 1999 Chevrolet Suburban SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Chevrolet Suburban SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Suburban model:

Disappointed!
By SUBMOM

1999 Chevrolet Suburban SUV K1500 LS 4dr SUV 4WD

We had a 94 Suburban for many years, was very satisfied. But with diesel going up, and it had over 200,000 miles, we had to say goodbye. Long story short, we purchased the 99. Where do I start? Brakes, plastic interior, intake gasket, cruise control, we now have three doors that will not lock or unlock,dash cracks loudly and pops when hot. Gas mileage, 12 miles in town, 15 HWY. We are very sad and disappointed. Loved the 94, do not like the 99.

Looks great, runs great after fixing all the problems. Love the room!

Better interior, brakes,more power for a 350. Door locks need a lot of work!

A Little Work For An Older Gem
By Rambo

1999 Chevrolet Suburban SUV C1500 LT 4dr SUV

Bought this Sub with 60K on it. Now at 105K. Many mods made to it. K&N Air Filter, Slotted front rotors, HypertechIII programmer, True dual exhaust with glass packs/headers, 2" front suspension drop, wider tires, 18" wheels, larger front brakes. All this enables 18+MPG on the hi-way. Makes heads turn even at 9 years old. Will flat out fly for a heavy SUV. Won't beat a Mustang but eats "Sport" trucks up for lunch. Cruises like it's on glass after the 2" drop in the nose. All together, I can't complain. Driving a 4 ton truck like a Corvette more than makes up for the $100+ gas station stops. But so does room for 8 and 700 miles between fill-ups! A little time/money goes a long way with her.

350 V8. Abundance of aftermarket "toys". Much cheaper and easier to work on than imports or newer SUVs/trucks. 44gal gas tank means I can pick and choose when to fill up. Plenty of room for a custom stereo and 8 adults. Went thru 12" of snow last winter with a 2WD and didn't get stuck. Chevy rules!

Bring back a real V8. You're buying a tank. Don't expect the fuel mileage of a motorcycle out of it. Hybrids and AFM systems are just more complex systems waiting to break down. If you're buying a 8+ year old vehicle, expect things to break. They don't last forever without some investment into them!

Suburban K1500 4X4
By BourbonK1500

1999 Chevrolet Suburban SUV K1500 LS 4dr SUV 4WD

I have mixed reviews on the Suburban. The 4x4 was a must, and has worked well, though i have been stuck. The Suburban is fast for its size and accelerates well, however it gets 10 mpg, and needs the 44 gallon tank, which now gosts about $200 to fill. Since my purchase at the end of 05 I have put 50k on the vehicle but had to replace the fuel pump, alternator, water pump, and the entire rear end, and (get this) 2 new transmissions. First replacement at 80k and one at 110k. Currenlty vehicle has 120k. Nice power locks, windows, leather seats, comfortable to drive and take on trips.

Heavy, acceleration, 4x4, good overall speed, smoothest ride, better than any truck for taking bumps on the road. I would rather be in this than any other vehicle in a crash. It is almost like driving a tank.

How about a little more mpg? Chevy, can you build a damn transmission that doesn't go out at 80k? This is the 3rd Chevy vehicle I have had to replace the tranny at 80k.

A Total Work Horse
By ALM396

1999 Chevrolet Suburban SUV K2500 LT 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought it two years old off a lease return and it has performed awesome since. Pulls my race car trailer with little effort and holds hockey equipment for three kids with room to spare. At 160K I replaced the fuel pump and the water pump twice since I've owned it plus the intake gasket which is a know issue. Since it just turned 183K I can't call that excessive. It always starts and drives well and handles the New England snow like a champ. It's as roomy and comfortable as my living room. Love this truck!

Towing capacity is great and it town nice a straight. Plenty of space for my kids and anything they can think of packing with them.

Headlamp bezels made of glass, not plastic. Mine are showing their age. Stronger fold down flaps. My old Suburban had metal flaps but these are lighweight boards of some type. Bad idea. Lay down a sheet of plywood before anyting heavy goes in.

The Best large SUV made
By CJ

1999 Chevrolet Suburban SUV K1500 LS 4dr SUV 4WD

I have had my Chevy suburban for nearly 9 years, I have thought of selling it for a newer SUV but it is so reliable and it handles great in all weather conditions, I just can't part with it. It can pull our boat or camper, take the baseball equiptment and players to the field, or pack our college student up for school. It also fits all my daughters comp. dance equiptment, and I can fit the full size garment rack in it, without taking it apart. I don't travel very far on normal weeks, so I only have to fill the gas tank every 3 weeks. Great family vehicle.

The amazing amount of space for cargo and passengers, drives like a car not a truck. The winter weather handling gives me a sense of safty. Dual air/heat.

Brighter back up lights