Used 1999 Chevrolet Suburban SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Chevrolet Suburban SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Suburban model:

Love form Saudi Arabia
By Mohammed Omar

1999 Chevrolet Suburban SUV K1500 LT 4dr SUV 4WD

I imported my Suburban from New Jersey to Jeddah, Saudi Arabia. it had 130K when I purchased it. My family traveled with it thousands miles around the Kingdom, it's brilliant on highways & very strongly-built, every thing in it says you can't break me. I've added about 12K, praises to God, it's never been to a mechanic, except for fluids and AC gas refilling. Nephews & nieces are crazy to ride it. they like jumping to third row. Holidays without it are boring. I load it with family members. I have to admit that I'm in love of this vehicle and wish to afford the 2009 one.

Seat lumbar, electric seats, 4WD, transmission smoothness, roominess, rear AC, audio system, cruise control, parts cost in Saudi, horsepower and leather seats.

All things I want to suggest are available in the new 2009 Suburban and more.

1999 Suburban - long term ownership
By Rob

1999 Chevrolet Suburban SUV K1500 LT 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my Suburban new from the dealer with long distance driving in mind. The 4x4 option was not a consideration, but ended up with it anyway. Due to the weight of this vehicle it does go through brakes and tires frequently. Tire vibration indicates the tires have reached their limit. I've replaced all suspension pieces, upgrading as I go, as well as all electrical (starter, alternator) and the water pump/radiator. I strongly suggest upgrading components as they fail and follow the recommended replacement schedule for the fuel filter. My original fuel pump still works fine after 136,000 miles.

Room for the kids and their sports gear, large tank (went 700 miles last summer without a required gas stop).

Aircondition compressor is of poor design. AC Delco parts failed more frequently than aftermarket replacements. Best to go with upgrades when replacing parts, especially brake and electrical parts.

Disappointed!
By SUBMOM

1999 Chevrolet Suburban SUV K1500 LS 4dr SUV 4WD

We had a 94 Suburban for many years, was very satisfied. But with diesel going up, and it had over 200,000 miles, we had to say goodbye. Long story short, we purchased the 99. Where do I start? Brakes, plastic interior, intake gasket, cruise control, we now have three doors that will not lock or unlock,dash cracks loudly and pops when hot. Gas mileage, 12 miles in town, 15 HWY. We are very sad and disappointed. Loved the 94, do not like the 99.

Looks great, runs great after fixing all the problems. Love the room!

Better interior, brakes,more power for a 350. Door locks need a lot of work!

A Little Work For An Older Gem
By Rambo

1999 Chevrolet Suburban SUV C1500 LT 4dr SUV

Bought this Sub with 60K on it. Now at 105K. Many mods made to it. K&N Air Filter, Slotted front rotors, HypertechIII programmer, True dual exhaust with glass packs/headers, 2" front suspension drop, wider tires, 18" wheels, larger front brakes. All this enables 18+MPG on the hi-way. Makes heads turn even at 9 years old. Will flat out fly for a heavy SUV. Won't beat a Mustang but eats "Sport" trucks up for lunch. Cruises like it's on glass after the 2" drop in the nose. All together, I can't complain. Driving a 4 ton truck like a Corvette more than makes up for the $100+ gas station stops. But so does room for 8 and 700 miles between fill-ups! A little time/money goes a long way with her.

350 V8. Abundance of aftermarket "toys". Much cheaper and easier to work on than imports or newer SUVs/trucks. 44gal gas tank means I can pick and choose when to fill up. Plenty of room for a custom stereo and 8 adults. Went thru 12" of snow last winter with a 2WD and didn't get stuck. Chevy rules!

Bring back a real V8. You're buying a tank. Don't expect the fuel mileage of a motorcycle out of it. Hybrids and AFM systems are just more complex systems waiting to break down. If you're buying a 8+ year old vehicle, expect things to break. They don't last forever without some investment into them!

Suburban K1500 4X4
By BourbonK1500

1999 Chevrolet Suburban SUV K1500 LS 4dr SUV 4WD

I have mixed reviews on the Suburban. The 4x4 was a must, and has worked well, though i have been stuck. The Suburban is fast for its size and accelerates well, however it gets 10 mpg, and needs the 44 gallon tank, which now gosts about $200 to fill. Since my purchase at the end of 05 I have put 50k on the vehicle but had to replace the fuel pump, alternator, water pump, and the entire rear end, and (get this) 2 new transmissions. First replacement at 80k and one at 110k. Currenlty vehicle has 120k. Nice power locks, windows, leather seats, comfortable to drive and take on trips.

Heavy, acceleration, 4x4, good overall speed, smoothest ride, better than any truck for taking bumps on the road. I would rather be in this than any other vehicle in a crash. It is almost like driving a tank.

How about a little more mpg? Chevy, can you build a damn transmission that doesn't go out at 80k? This is the 3rd Chevy vehicle I have had to replace the tranny at 80k.

• SUV