Used 1999 Chevrolet Suburban SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Chevrolet Suburban SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Suburban model:

Good Value - Work Horse
By Mark

1999 Chevrolet Suburban SUV K1500 LT 4dr SUV 4WD

I have had this vehicle since 2002, and now have 160,000 miles. Great truck for family. Can easily haul 4 family members and the dog and all the gear (golf clubs, luggage, etc...). Makes long trips a breeze. For a truck with 160,000 mile it still functions great and is very comfortable.

Space, comfort, big gas tank that allows 700 miles between stops.

Head lights.

junk
By David

1999 Chevrolet Suburban SUV K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

Had a 78 and a 90 burb, loved them both. Very surprised to see the good reviews for this truck. Mechanically speaking this truck was junk. Constant problems, most very expensive to fix. Door lock acuaters, two fuel pumps, door handles, a/c, two flywheels, oxygen sensors, both batteries, abs braking system, wiper motor. When I finally got rid of it it still ran like crap, the transmission was slipping and the gm service center could not figure out why it ran so bad. I would love to have another burb but I will be very diligent about my research of model years before I buy another one. My father has a 99 with the same opinion of his. I just looked at a used 99 for sale, ran like crap, engine light on.

Size,versatility,styling

How can you make suggestions for improvement to such a poorly designed and built truck?

a hoss
By jim

1999 Chevrolet Suburban SUV K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought used 89,000 miles. Now have 205,000 have had no problems except brakes. Am on 4th set of brakes and 2nd set of front rotors. Interior not of great quality too much plastic. Have had to put Freon in a/c only once but discovered has a large capacity. Replaced battery once. Do not like screw terminals they vibrate loose. Has 44 gallon tank gets 18 mpg on hwy and 14 city. In terms of bang for the buck I feel I for once got the better deal. I will probably replace once I get to 250,000 and have really fallen in love with the Nissan armada. I think the suburban has been overpriced for the cheap interior but give it an "a" for the past 6 years

mechanically sound-ease of maintenance- fun to drive--big gas tank with decent mileage

interior redesign--change battery cables for ease of maintenance

Love form Saudi Arabia
By Mohammed Omar

1999 Chevrolet Suburban SUV K1500 LT 4dr SUV 4WD

I imported my Suburban from New Jersey to Jeddah, Saudi Arabia. it had 130K when I purchased it. My family traveled with it thousands miles around the Kingdom, it's brilliant on highways & very strongly-built, every thing in it says you can't break me. I've added about 12K, praises to God, it's never been to a mechanic, except for fluids and AC gas refilling. Nephews & nieces are crazy to ride it. they like jumping to third row. Holidays without it are boring. I load it with family members. I have to admit that I'm in love of this vehicle and wish to afford the 2009 one.

Seat lumbar, electric seats, 4WD, transmission smoothness, roominess, rear AC, audio system, cruise control, parts cost in Saudi, horsepower and leather seats.

All things I want to suggest are available in the new 2009 Suburban and more.

1999 Suburban - long term ownership
By Rob

1999 Chevrolet Suburban SUV K1500 LT 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my Suburban new from the dealer with long distance driving in mind. The 4x4 option was not a consideration, but ended up with it anyway. Due to the weight of this vehicle it does go through brakes and tires frequently. Tire vibration indicates the tires have reached their limit. I've replaced all suspension pieces, upgrading as I go, as well as all electrical (starter, alternator) and the water pump/radiator. I strongly suggest upgrading components as they fail and follow the recommended replacement schedule for the fuel filter. My original fuel pump still works fine after 136,000 miles.

Room for the kids and their sports gear, large tank (went 700 miles last summer without a required gas stop).

Aircondition compressor is of poor design. AC Delco parts failed more frequently than aftermarket replacements. Best to go with upgrades when replacing parts, especially brake and electrical parts.