Used 1999 Chevrolet Suburban SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Chevrolet Suburban SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Suburban model:
Dependable at times
By Bigg Poppa P on 08/06/07 07:56 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Suburban SUV C1500 LT 4dr SUV

Bought used with 78K to tow our 21 foot Outback TT. Tows OK. Replaced battery, altenator, starter and original tires at 80000. Fuel gauge needle vibrates. Changed engine oil to synthetic had minor leaks, went back to regular QS. Installed Magnaflow muffler with dual outs, K&N air filter and throttle body spacer. HP and mileage improved. Front discs warped did complete brake job. Manifold gasket replaced at 111000 and new starter. The DRL's worked when we bought it. Now they come on whenever. Fuel pump very loud since we bought it and is hanging in there. Small leak in A/C system. Water leaks from hard rains cleaned drain no luck. Headlite lenses dull bought new ones. Buy again? Newer maybe!

Lots of room, that's it
By Kevin on 06/27/07 02:54 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Suburban SUV K1500 LT 4dr SUV 4WD

Love the room. Thatís all. Man, this thing has been expensive to maintain. At 110,000, had to put an $800 fuel pump in it while on vacation. The ac/heat blower motor only works on high now. Mechanics say a $40.00 sensor is bad, but since it requires the removal of the dash... labor alone is $450.00. Power locks usually donít work. Left rear window only rolls down half way. Passenger seat heater comes on and off.

I love my Suburban
By Jett1 on 05/11/07 08:38 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Suburban SUV K1500 LT 4dr SUV 4WD

Gas mileage is what you would expect for size and capacity. In short, extremely reliable, 5.7 4wd it has taken care of my wife and 3 kids very well. Been in 2 accidents. The truck has over 170k on it now I'm getting concerned about the transmission but it hasnt given me a reason yet. I plan on keeping it till they ban gas or it rusts out.

I love my truck
By Mo on 05/03/07 20:03 PM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Suburban SUV K1500 LS 4dr SUV 4WD

Purchased this truck used with 47,000 miles on it in 2001. Have taken several major road trips, now have over 160,000 miles on it. Last summer, in the mountains, fuel pump went, not good. Need to expect some major repairs on a vehicle with this many miles tho'. With soaring gas prices I have entertained getting something more economical, however, after reading these reviews, I am encouraged that reliability, power and comfort might be worth the trade off in gas dollars. There's no beating it for hiway driving, so much more visibility and appreciate the higher profile. Still hauling kids, think I've convinced myself to keep it til it dies! Been told they can go for 300K

Great Truck
By mike on 04/03/07 20:06 PM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Suburban SUV K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

Great vehicle very little problems even with 113k on the odometer. Plenty of room inside for my family of 6, plus a friend or two. It's great for long trips, very comfortable to drive. Tows the camper or Jeep great.

1999 1500 LS Chevy Suburban
By JIM C on 02/22/07 19:55 PM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Suburban SUV C1500 LS 4dr SUV

Great vehicle, towing power, and easy to drive. Great on road. Paint and quality good.

Like my 1999 Suburban
By One happy owner on 09/27/06 12:13 PM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Suburban SUV C1500 LT 4dr SUV

I am the original owner of a 2WD LT with approx 130K miles. It's been a terrific vehicle. We're into middle-age repairs. Water pump, alternator, radiator, AC etc. Next job is new shocks and struts. Biggest complaint is the brake system. I plan on driving mine for at least another 100-150K miles. BTW, I'm averaging 16MPG in virtually all conditions and loads. My wife's new Pacifica is getting about 18MPG around town.

Love my 'Burb
By jim on 08/27/06 04:46 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Suburban SUV K1500 LT 4dr SUV 4WD

Drove vans and conversion vans for years. Bought this Burb used, and it is one of the best riding and towing vehicles I have ever owned. Fit and finish are exceptional.

Beware the Chevy
By Price on 06/14/06 10:38 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Suburban SUV C1500 LT 4dr SUV

For 30k I was impressed. Until the fuel pump, transmission, a/c system, heater core, front end, water pump (for the 2nd time) all went out in the same month. 5 grand later my truck is running again. Come to find out this is typical for a Chevy, and all before 100k miles. Unfortunately all at once for us. I love the room, but the true cost to own sends me back to Toyota. Get it together Chevrolet, you might as well be a Ford.

A Great Ride
By Alan Slightom on 03/06/06 14:27 PM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Suburban SUV K2500 LT 4dr SUV 4WD

Excellent truck, hauls Boy Scouts, church groups, band students and all their equipment. Trip out west pulling a 28 ft. trailer. Great towing capacity, extra large fuel tank (42 gal), just doesn't stop. Lease return, never worked hard. Have put 50K on it with no problems. 4WD is excellent, never stuck, snow, mud. Just keeps going.