Used 1999 Chevrolet Suburban SUV Consumer Reviews - 99 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Chevrolet Suburban SUV - Consumer Reviews

1999 Chevrolet Suburban SUV

View reviews for a specific Suburban model:

My Burb
By Boomer

1999 Chevrolet Suburban SUV K2500 LT 4dr SUV 4WD

I love my truck. Last of the big ones and I will put it up to an Excursion any day. Interestingly enough, this truck has a 7.4 (454 Big Block) and pulls much better mileage than those I have spoken to with the smaller Ford V-10. I pull 16 mpg on the hwy, they pull 10-12. This truck is my dream truck. I would not have ordered new any other way. I have been a suburban fan for years and probably have owned 20 in my lifetime, but this one is special. There is nothing this truck can't pull. This is my baby and I hope to have many years of enjoyment with it.

Power, smooth ride.

I really can't think of any.

More than Basic
By Burban Mom

1999 Chevrolet Suburban SUV C2500 4dr SUV

"We have a 2wd 2500 5.7 liter engine. Wanted a base model, but you can't find them unless you buy a fleet vehicle. Found a lightly used contractor's vehicle. Vinyl floors & cloth seats, but power windows & locks. The engine & trans have been very reliable. It's a nice, strong tow vehicle. The only real complaint I have is that the power equipment (which I didn't really want anyway) has given us trouble since it was 5 years old. The power locks don't work on 2 of the doors & have had to repair 3 of the windows (1 has stuck twice). This is a great utility truck & has tons of kid, cargo and dog room. We do love it, just wish the 'no frills' trim levels were easier to find."

Versatility - huge cargo & passenger space. Great for towing.

I wish the power locks & windows were more reliable. Even so, I'd still buy another one.

Work Horse with Reliability
By Ryan

1999 Chevrolet Suburban SUV K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought the truck new in 1999 and still own it today. It is a nice rough truck with a lot of comfort and space on the interior. I have experienced a few problems. These problems include the door locks sticking or just not working, the door handles breaking, steering shaft, and other problems that are normal for a ten year old car. Because the car is so heavy you burn through breaks and tires but besides that I have no major complaints other than the design of the door locks and handles. It makes road trips a breeze and can haul a ton.

The comfort and the safe feeling while driving. I never once have worried about breaking down on the road while driving. The gas tank is huge which is great for long distance trips. (Up to 700 miles before a fill up again. The trunk space is great too.

Design of the door locks and handles. The placement of the radio buttons because the transmission handle is in the way and often times when I have reached for the radio, I have hit the transmission handle into neutral. The fold down sunvisor also hangs to low and covers to much of the windshield.

Good Value - Work Horse
By Mark

1999 Chevrolet Suburban SUV K1500 LT 4dr SUV 4WD

I have had this vehicle since 2002, and now have 160,000 miles. Great truck for family. Can easily haul 4 family members and the dog and all the gear (golf clubs, luggage, etc...). Makes long trips a breeze. For a truck with 160,000 mile it still functions great and is very comfortable.

Space, comfort, big gas tank that allows 700 miles between stops.

Head lights.

junk
By David

1999 Chevrolet Suburban SUV K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

Had a 78 and a 90 burb, loved them both. Very surprised to see the good reviews for this truck. Mechanically speaking this truck was junk. Constant problems, most very expensive to fix. Door lock acuaters, two fuel pumps, door handles, a/c, two flywheels, oxygen sensors, both batteries, abs braking system, wiper motor. When I finally got rid of it it still ran like crap, the transmission was slipping and the gm service center could not figure out why it ran so bad. I would love to have another burb but I will be very diligent about my research of model years before I buy another one. My father has a 99 with the same opinion of his. I just looked at a used 99 for sale, ran like crap, engine light on.

Size,versatility,styling

How can you make suggestions for improvement to such a poorly designed and built truck?