1999 Chevrolet Suburban - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Suburban model:
Disappointed!
By SUBMOM on 08/06/08 11:05 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 LS 4dr SUV 4WD

We had a 94 Suburban for many years, was very satisfied. But with diesel going up, and it had over 200,000 miles, we had to say goodbye. Long story short, we purchased the 99. Where do I start? Brakes, plastic interior, intake gasket, cruise control, we now have three doors that will not lock or unlock,dash cracks loudly and pops when hot. Gas mileage, 12 miles in town, 15 HWY. We are very sad and disappointed. Loved the 94, do not like the 99.

A Little Work For An Older Gem
By Rambo on 07/23/08 17:09 PM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Suburban C1500 LT 4dr SUV

Bought this Sub with 60K on it. Now at 105K. Many mods made to it. K&N Air Filter, Slotted front rotors, HypertechIII programmer, True dual exhaust with glass packs/headers, 2" front suspension drop, wider tires, 18" wheels, larger front brakes. All this enables 18+MPG on the hi-way. Makes heads turn even at 9 years old. Will flat out fly for a heavy SUV. Won't beat a Mustang but eats "Sport" trucks up for lunch. Cruises like it's on glass after the 2" drop in the nose. All together, I can't complain. Driving a 4 ton truck like a Corvette more than makes up for the $100+ gas station stops. But so does room for 8 and 700 miles between fill-ups! A little time/money goes a long way with her.

Suburban K1500 4X4
By BourbonK1500 on 06/10/08 15:30 PM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 LS 4dr SUV 4WD

I have mixed reviews on the Suburban. The 4x4 was a must, and has worked well, though i have been stuck. The Suburban is fast for its size and accelerates well, however it gets 10 mpg, and needs the 44 gallon tank, which now gosts about $200 to fill. Since my purchase at the end of 05 I have put 50k on the vehicle but had to replace the fuel pump, alternator, water pump, and the entire rear end, and (get this) 2 new transmissions. First replacement at 80k and one at 110k. Currenlty vehicle has 120k. Nice power locks, windows, leather seats, comfortable to drive and take on trips.

A Total Work Horse
By ALM396 on 05/08/08 10:15 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Suburban K2500 LT 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought it two years old off a lease return and it has performed awesome since. Pulls my race car trailer with little effort and holds hockey equipment for three kids with room to spare. At 160K I replaced the fuel pump and the water pump twice since I've owned it plus the intake gasket which is a know issue. Since it just turned 183K I can't call that excessive. It always starts and drives well and handles the New England snow like a champ. It's as roomy and comfortable as my living room. Love this truck!

The Best large SUV made
By CJ on 04/11/08 09:50 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 LS 4dr SUV 4WD

I have had my Chevy suburban for nearly 9 years, I have thought of selling it for a newer SUV but it is so reliable and it handles great in all weather conditions, I just can't part with it. It can pull our boat or camper, take the baseball equiptment and players to the field, or pack our college student up for school. It also fits all my daughters comp. dance equiptment, and I can fit the full size garment rack in it, without taking it apart. I don't travel very far on normal weeks, so I only have to fill the gas tank every 3 weeks. Great family vehicle.

1999 Suburban - OK, but could be better
By Helpsuburban on 02/23/08 06:57 AM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

My wife bought used in July 2007 from used car dealer. Looked good on lot, everything appeared to work. Dealer said transmission had already been replaced. As previous postings said - door locks and actuators not working properly. Would not start, could not find problem. After major tune-up restarted. Had to replace brakes. Serpentine belt broke. It's OK, but could be better for the money.

A beast of comfort and reliability.
By father of four on 02/22/08 15:47 PM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 LT 4dr SUV 4WD

Yes, these times might make you say to yourself - my gosh, can I afford the gas. Well, if you can find a vehicle that can haul as much as this can, can motor across most any surface - dry, slick, or wet, and can haul this many folks in comfort all while getting better gas mileage, well, I say go for it. I have had this vehicle since it was new, and I swear by it. Yep, it'll eat brakes, but its about 4 tons of truck so that's to be expected. Comfort is an understatement. Safety is an understatement. Put the kids in their seats and strap them in and you're fine. And I have had no real issues with relability, just normal maintenance issues that were easily fixed.

My 99 Burban
By Brian on 02/09/08 21:02 PM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 LT 4dr SUV 4WD

It used to have a 2" lift in the rear & ran gr8 until my boss sold it to my job. They replaced the motor at 110k. The day I bought it, the radiator broke. It ran great for a while. Besides the regular maintenance, I replaced oil plug (thanks castrol 10 min oil change), distributor, front rotors, hub bearings, 4 shocks, new tires, u- joints, rotors, shoes & pads, bank 2 cat. converter & o2 sensor. I still have a shake in the rear end but no one knows what is causing the truck to shake. They told me tires but I am not changing them again unless they are paying for it. I was told rear end or trany but unless they are going to pay 4 it, i'm leaving it alone. Cannot go over 70 mph.

My family loves it
By Love it on 01/23/08 17:19 PM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 LS 4dr SUV 4WD

We bought this truck for trips and moderate city driving. It has been great with a family of three and two large labs. My wife loves to drive it even though it seems like a very large vehicle. This is the best experience I've had with a Chevy. I plan on driving it until the wheels fall off. We have had good luck with maintance. Currently it has 89000 miles.

Love the Beast
By Q on 11/16/07 15:01 PM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 LS 4dr SUV 4WD

Great truck. Plenty of power and room. Runs great at 130,000. 4x4 was a must and I was not disappointed. Got a great deal on the beast. Have a slight problem with the power locks. Leather interior is ridiculously comfortable. My favorite truck to date... easy. Did I mention the power?