Used 1999 Chevrolet Suburban Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Chevrolet Suburban - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Suburban model:

great truck
By Tommy

1999 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 LS 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought the Suburban used in 03 and it has been very reliable, safe, and comfortable. Only now that I have 140K is the truck showing it's age. Most annoying problems are with power door locks, fuel injectors, weak brakes and some plastic interior trim. The tranny seal now leaks. For all that I do with the truck, it is well worth trying to find or hold onto one.

Good looks, comfort, performance, and overall room for people and cargo.

Electrics and switches for door locks

Just can't let it go
By Andy

1999 Chevrolet Suburban C1500 LT 4dr SUV

I've had this truck since 2006. It was an intentionally sought out buy, and overall, I'm glad I bought it. I think the more people/weight/cargo, the better it drives and handles (minus the very weak braking). It is extremely comfortable, quick enough in its own right, and handles well. Economically, MPG are less than desirable (mine are about 10/11 and around 13 highway). Little did I know at the time of purchase, but this was a fleet vehicle that was very poorly maintained. It was beaten up pretty badly, but with some TLC, a new transmission, and routine maintenance, its a fine riding, good looking truck.

Creature comforts, ergonomics, style, performance

Brakes too small, door handles weak, terrible gas mileage

My Burb
By Boomer

1999 Chevrolet Suburban K2500 LT 4dr SUV 4WD

I love my truck. Last of the big ones and I will put it up to an Excursion any day. Interestingly enough, this truck has a 7.4 (454 Big Block) and pulls much better mileage than those I have spoken to with the smaller Ford V-10. I pull 16 mpg on the hwy, they pull 10-12. This truck is my dream truck. I would not have ordered new any other way. I have been a suburban fan for years and probably have owned 20 in my lifetime, but this one is special. There is nothing this truck can't pull. This is my baby and I hope to have many years of enjoyment with it.

Power, smooth ride.

I really can't think of any.

More than Basic
By Burban Mom

1999 Chevrolet Suburban C2500 4dr SUV

"We have a 2wd 2500 5.7 liter engine. Wanted a base model, but you can't find them unless you buy a fleet vehicle. Found a lightly used contractor's vehicle. Vinyl floors & cloth seats, but power windows & locks. The engine & trans have been very reliable. It's a nice, strong tow vehicle. The only real complaint I have is that the power equipment (which I didn't really want anyway) has given us trouble since it was 5 years old. The power locks don't work on 2 of the doors & have had to repair 3 of the windows (1 has stuck twice). This is a great utility truck & has tons of kid, cargo and dog room. We do love it, just wish the 'no frills' trim levels were easier to find."

Versatility - huge cargo & passenger space. Great for towing.

I wish the power locks & windows were more reliable. Even so, I'd still buy another one.

Work Horse with Reliability
By Ryan

1999 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought the truck new in 1999 and still own it today. It is a nice rough truck with a lot of comfort and space on the interior. I have experienced a few problems. These problems include the door locks sticking or just not working, the door handles breaking, steering shaft, and other problems that are normal for a ten year old car. Because the car is so heavy you burn through breaks and tires but besides that I have no major complaints other than the design of the door locks and handles. It makes road trips a breeze and can haul a ton.

The comfort and the safe feeling while driving. I never once have worried about breaking down on the road while driving. The gas tank is huge which is great for long distance trips. (Up to 700 miles before a fill up again. The trunk space is great too.

Design of the door locks and handles. The placement of the radio buttons because the transmission handle is in the way and often times when I have reached for the radio, I have hit the transmission handle into neutral. The fold down sunvisor also hangs to low and covers to much of the windshield.