Used 1999 Chevrolet Suburban SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Chevrolet Suburban SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Suburban model:

The Classic SUV that sets the standard
By DAD OF FOUR

1999 Chevrolet Suburban SUV K1500 LT 4dr SUV 4WD

I have owned five 1999 Suburbans. I also own an Excursion for family trips. Between the two, I'd take the suburban any day. The excursion is a truck, plain and simple. Huge, cavernous. The Suburban is comfortable and quiet. Yes, the gas mileage is in the 'teens, but the trade off is the safety and comfort of those riding inside. The Suburban is easy to turn, provided you know what you're doing. You can load it up and still have room, and even after 12 years, the interiors still look good and feel tight - and not the cheap plastic highlights that are in cars today. With regular maintenance, these SUVs can literally run forever.

Awesome Truck
By msagewilson

1999 Chevrolet Suburban SUV K1500 LS 4dr SUV 4WD

I inherited my Suburban when I turned 16, it was my dads when his '85 GMC Blazer went out. It wasn't the prettiest ride when I got it, but thats changing now. I plan on finishing it with bigger, meaner wheels, a dual magnaflow, new trim, and new sound system. Its a very aggressive truck, and can go anywhere it can fit. I did have trouble with the coolant system, a series of problems arose after I waited too long to replace a bad radiator, my mistake, but other than that, NO problems. I turned down 2 newer cars to keep this truck, and I've never regretted it once. Long live the Suburban

Drivability, comfort, power, reliability

Electronics, wiring

'99 Suburban LT - Not worth the $$
By bilz3

1999 Chevrolet Suburban SUV K1500 LT 4dr SUV 4WD

We bought this used & had 85K miles on it. At 95k the fuel pump failed, $700. At 100k the upper intake gasket had to be replaced, $900. At 120k the trans failed, $1900. At 125k the steering box failed, $300 and I fixed that myself. Now at 163k the a/c won't blow from the vents and I was told that the whole dash has to come out. Also, one of the catalytic converters is bad. Overall, if I knew then what I know now we NEVER would have bought it. Biggest piece of crap I've ever owned.

It can seat 8 people.

Send your engineers to Honda or Toyota to learn how cars should be built.

White one
By landiran

1999 Chevrolet Suburban SUV K1500 LS 4dr SUV 4WD

I got a 99 suburban ls White. I got it in 06 with 120,000 miles. At first I hated this truck, it was in the shop often. So far intake gasket, 2 fuel pumps, water pump, fuel injection system, and brakes both rear and front. I just thought it was an older truck in need of some TLC. I was right now that the list of things have been done 2 it, it runs like a champ and now has 192,000 miles on it. I don't plan to ever get rid of it. I will always drive a suburban, wouldn't have it any other way. Whatever breaks I hope I can afford to fix it.

my 20 inch rims, the interior, the size and room 4 lots of ladies and the dark tinted windows

I wish it sat at least 4 inches higher 4 a monster look and the repair cost where cheaper

Love the 'burban
By eholmes

1999 Chevrolet Suburban SUV K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought this truck in '04 with 87K after my pregnant wife complained that her new caravan stunk in the snow. Well the Suburban has been with us ever since. This thing is a Sherman tank in the snow. The amount of room in this thing still amazes me. We fit a new washer and dryer in this thing behind the second row seats. Did the same thing with a Christmas tree. The reliability has been exceptional too. Replaced pads and rotors right after I bought it, then again last year with 122K. The only other repair I had to make was the intake gasket at about 100K which was about $500. Long live the "burban

Size, cargo capacity, and reliability

better fuel economy! Please!! 13 mpg! ouch!