1999 Chevrolet Suburban - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Suburban model:
great truck
By Tommy on 04/23/10 04:12 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 LS 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought the Suburban used in 03 and it has been very reliable, safe, and comfortable. Only now that I have 140K is the truck showing it's age. Most annoying problems are with power door locks, fuel injectors, weak brakes and some plastic interior trim. The tranny seal now leaks. For all that I do with the truck, it is well worth trying to find or hold onto one.

Just can't let it go
By Andy on 03/29/10 20:14 PM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Suburban C1500 LT 4dr SUV

I've had this truck since 2006. It was an intentionally sought out buy, and overall, I'm glad I bought it. I think the more people/weight/cargo, the better it drives and handles (minus the very weak braking). It is extremely comfortable, quick enough in its own right, and handles well. Economically, MPG are less than desirable (mine are about 10/11 and around 13 highway). Little did I know at the time of purchase, but this was a fleet vehicle that was very poorly maintained. It was beaten up pretty badly, but with some TLC, a new transmission, and routine maintenance, its a fine riding, good looking truck.

My Burb
By Boomer on 01/31/10 23:25 PM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Suburban K2500 LT 4dr SUV 4WD

I love my truck. Last of the big ones and I will put it up to an Excursion any day. Interestingly enough, this truck has a 7.4 (454 Big Block) and pulls much better mileage than those I have spoken to with the smaller Ford V-10. I pull 16 mpg on the hwy, they pull 10-12. This truck is my dream truck. I would not have ordered new any other way. I have been a suburban fan for years and probably have owned 20 in my lifetime, but this one is special. There is nothing this truck can't pull. This is my baby and I hope to have many years of enjoyment with it.

More than Basic
By Burban Mom on 01/14/10 11:11 AM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Suburban C2500 4dr SUV

"We have a 2wd 2500 5.7 liter engine. Wanted a base model, but you can't find them unless you buy a fleet vehicle. Found a lightly used contractor's vehicle. Vinyl floors & cloth seats, but power windows & locks. The engine & trans have been very reliable. It's a nice, strong tow vehicle. The only real complaint I have is that the power equipment (which I didn't really want anyway) has given us trouble since it was 5 years old. The power locks don't work on 2 of the doors & have had to repair 3 of the windows (1 has stuck twice). This is a great utility truck & has tons of kid, cargo and dog room. We do love it, just wish the 'no frills' trim levels were easier to find."

Work Horse with Reliability
By Ryan on 01/06/10 10:16 AM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought the truck new in 1999 and still own it today. It is a nice rough truck with a lot of comfort and space on the interior. I have experienced a few problems. These problems include the door locks sticking or just not working, the door handles breaking, steering shaft, and other problems that are normal for a ten year old car. Because the car is so heavy you burn through breaks and tires but besides that I have no major complaints other than the design of the door locks and handles. It makes road trips a breeze and can haul a ton.

Good Value - Work Horse
By Mark on 07/31/09 19:29 PM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 LT 4dr SUV 4WD

I have had this vehicle since 2002, and now have 160,000 miles. Great truck for family. Can easily haul 4 family members and the dog and all the gear (golf clubs, luggage, etc...). Makes long trips a breeze. For a truck with 160,000 mile it still functions great and is very comfortable.

junk
By David on 04/16/09 06:34 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

Had a 78 and a 90 burb, loved them both. Very surprised to see the good reviews for this truck. Mechanically speaking this truck was junk. Constant problems, most very expensive to fix. Door lock acuaters, two fuel pumps, door handles, a/c, two flywheels, oxygen sensors, both batteries, abs braking system, wiper motor. When I finally got rid of it it still ran like crap, the transmission was slipping and the gm service center could not figure out why it ran so bad. I would love to have another burb but I will be very diligent about my research of model years before I buy another one. My father has a 99 with the same opinion of his. I just looked at a used 99 for sale, ran like crap, engine light on.

a hoss
By jim on 03/27/09 10:03 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought used 89,000 miles. Now have 205,000 have had no problems except brakes. Am on 4th set of brakes and 2nd set of front rotors. Interior not of great quality too much plastic. Have had to put Freon in a/c only once but discovered has a large capacity. Replaced battery once. Do not like screw terminals they vibrate loose. Has 44 gallon tank gets 18 mpg on hwy and 14 city. In terms of bang for the buck I feel I for once got the better deal. I will probably replace once I get to 250,000 and have really fallen in love with the Nissan armada. I think the suburban has been overpriced for the cheap interior but give it an "a" for the past 6 years

Love form Saudi Arabia
By Mohammed Omar on 02/15/09 01:31 AM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 LT 4dr SUV 4WD

I imported my Suburban from New Jersey to Jeddah, Saudi Arabia. it had 130K when I purchased it. My family traveled with it thousands miles around the Kingdom, it's brilliant on highways & very strongly-built, every thing in it says you can't break me. I've added about 12K, praises to God, it's never been to a mechanic, except for fluids and AC gas refilling. Nephews & nieces are crazy to ride it. they like jumping to third row. Holidays without it are boring. I load it with family members. I have to admit that I'm in love of this vehicle and wish to afford the 2009 one.

1999 Suburban - long term ownership
By Rob on 01/05/09 10:05 AM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 LT 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my Suburban new from the dealer with long distance driving in mind. The 4x4 option was not a consideration, but ended up with it anyway. Due to the weight of this vehicle it does go through brakes and tires frequently. Tire vibration indicates the tires have reached their limit. I've replaced all suspension pieces, upgrading as I go, as well as all electrical (starter, alternator) and the water pump/radiator. I strongly suggest upgrading components as they fail and follow the recommended replacement schedule for the fuel filter. My original fuel pump still works fine after 136,000 miles.