1999 Chevrolet Suburban SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Suburban model:
No more Suburbans for us
By Dean on 12/14/05 21:26 PM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Suburban SUV C1500 4dr SUV

Purchased three years ago at 70,000 from individual with all receipts, maintained exclusively by Chevy dealer. ALL scheduled maintenance is faithfully done, and we keep it looking clean & new. BUT, since reaching 90,000 miles, something breaks about every week. In last two years, we have replaced the transmission, all 8 fuel injectors, head gasket, radiator, water pump, alternator, fuel pump, and A/C compressor. Pass-side rear window doesn't work. Power locks quit working last week. A truly sad example of poor quality & reliability throughout. It's comfortable & great for interior capacity & towing, but we've bought the car twice due to the repair expense. Definitely don't recommend

We dumped it!
By chbeyer on 08/19/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Suburban SUV C1500 4dr SUV

Our suburban had numerous quality problems. We paid 38K for it and the left door (back seat) squeaked for the entire time we owned the vehicle. The dealer couldnt fix it. The power window on the drivers side went out. An incredibly overrated poor quality vehicle.

RATTLES
By gerald shokes on 06/21/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Suburban SUV C1500 4dr SUV

VERY COMFORTABLE ON LONG TRIPS WITH LARGE LOAD CAPACITIES. ROAD MILAGE IS MUCH BETTER THAN THE EVERYDAY AROUND TOWN MILAGE. DRIVABILITY IS EXCELLENT. HANDLING IS EXCELLENT. POWER IS EXCELLENT. WORRY ABOUT THE TRANS. ,DUE TO MY SON HAS AREADY HAD TO REPLACE HIS 98' TAHOE TRANS. AT 50K MILES.ONLY USE MOBILE ONE OIL WITH NO LEAKS AND PRESENTLY HAVE 80K MILES ON MY SUBURBAN SINCE PURCHASED. DRIVES DOOR RATTLES GOING OVER BUMPS AT ANY SPEED, SUSPECT LOOSE AUTO WINDOW MECH.

First and last Sub for me
By mr steve on 03/16/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Suburban SUV C1500 4dr SUV

On the positive side this SUV has good power and tows fairly well but upkeep is getting expensive. At 60k miles replaced rearend (started out as a roar from a wheel bearing), 75K miles Transmission rebuilt (broken planetary gears and bad bearings). While in the shop for the trans. Intake starts leaking coolant. These repairs along with three altenators before 76K miles makes me believe that Chevy has a problem. I will not buy another one, might lease one and turn it in before things go bad!

Very Poorly Built Vehicle
By LPapet on 01/31/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Suburban SUV C1500 4dr SUV

Vehicle quality leaves much to be desired... so much so that I would caution any potential Chevy/GM/Suburban buyers against purchasing. Vehicle has only 50K miles and already has left my wife stranded on 3 separate occasions (we're on 3rd alternator and have had to replace various electronic components (all at considerable cost). Bottom line, Chevy advertises it's trucks as built like a rock... well, if they were building rocks they'd be O.K... unfortunately, automobiles are complicated machines that should be provided a higher level of engineering and quality that Chevy has provided to it's products.

Sneroll
By sneroll on 12/16/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Suburban SUV C1500 4dr SUV

An extremely reliable car, with lots of space for both passanges and cargo. Very versatile and easy to drive despite size.

A great vehicle
By MilMan on 10/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Suburban SUV C1500 4dr SUV

This truck has been very reliable.it has 62000 miles on it. The only warranty parts that I,ve replaced are the master cylinder(30000 miles),rear shocks(21000miles), serpertine belt and pulley(35000 miles),battery(35000 miles).

The best large size SUV ever
By Eyal on 10/07/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Suburban SUV C1500 4dr SUV

I had this vehicle for 4 1/2 years,LT 4x4 and all the toys+entertainment center for the kids,nothing but joy.Made a huge!!!!! mistake and traded it in last year for a 2003 nissan pathfinder,what a mistake!

I enjoy it!
By Daiquiri27 on 09/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Suburban SUV C1500 4dr SUV

I bought my 1999 used (70K) and don't have anything negative to say about it. I really enjoy driving it. I also drive a 2002 Mazda Miata and frankly it's a refreshing change of pace to drive the Suburban. It's very comfortable and I feel extremely safe.

My 1999 Suburban
By Ken Garwick on 08/30/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Suburban SUV C1500 4dr SUV

The only major problem experienced was the computer/transmission glitch where code 1870 kept coming up after "Check engine soon" warning. First happened at 12,000 miles. At 60,000 miles I had to replace valve body ($1,100) but that did not fix the problem and the "bumb" rough shifting from start thru 2nd. Replaced valve body again at 160,000 and all is fine. Chevy tried many times to sell me a $3,000 tranny.