1999 Chevrolet Suburban - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Suburban model:
Just can't let it go
By Andy on 03/29/10 20:14 PM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Suburban C1500 LT 4dr SUV

I've had this truck since 2006. It was an intentionally sought out buy, and overall, I'm glad I bought it. I think the more people/weight/cargo, the better it drives and handles (minus the very weak braking). It is extremely comfortable, quick enough in its own right, and handles well. Economically, MPG are less than desirable (mine are about 10/11 and around 13 highway). Little did I know at the time of purchase, but this was a fleet vehicle that was very poorly maintained. It was beaten up pretty badly, but with some TLC, a new transmission, and routine maintenance, its a fine riding, good looking truck.

A Little Work For An Older Gem
By Rambo on 07/23/08 17:09 PM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Suburban C1500 LT 4dr SUV

Bought this Sub with 60K on it. Now at 105K. Many mods made to it. K&N Air Filter, Slotted front rotors, HypertechIII programmer, True dual exhaust with glass packs/headers, 2" front suspension drop, wider tires, 18" wheels, larger front brakes. All this enables 18+MPG on the hi-way. Makes heads turn even at 9 years old. Will flat out fly for a heavy SUV. Won't beat a Mustang but eats "Sport" trucks up for lunch. Cruises like it's on glass after the 2" drop in the nose. All together, I can't complain. Driving a 4 ton truck like a Corvette more than makes up for the $100+ gas station stops. But so does room for 8 and 700 miles between fill-ups! A little time/money goes a long way with her.

Dependable at times
By Bigg Poppa P on 08/06/07 07:56 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Suburban C1500 LT 4dr SUV

Bought used with 78K to tow our 21 foot Outback TT. Tows OK. Replaced battery, altenator, starter and original tires at 80000. Fuel gauge needle vibrates. Changed engine oil to synthetic had minor leaks, went back to regular QS. Installed Magnaflow muffler with dual outs, K&N air filter and throttle body spacer. HP and mileage improved. Front discs warped did complete brake job. Manifold gasket replaced at 111000 and new starter. The DRL's worked when we bought it. Now they come on whenever. Fuel pump very loud since we bought it and is hanging in there. Small leak in A/C system. Water leaks from hard rains cleaned drain no luck. Headlite lenses dull bought new ones. Buy again? Newer maybe!

Like my 1999 Suburban
By One happy owner on 09/27/06 12:13 PM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Suburban C1500 LT 4dr SUV

I am the original owner of a 2WD LT with approx 130K miles. It's been a terrific vehicle. We're into middle-age repairs. Water pump, alternator, radiator, AC etc. Next job is new shocks and struts. Biggest complaint is the brake system. I plan on driving mine for at least another 100-150K miles. BTW, I'm averaging 16MPG in virtually all conditions and loads. My wife's new Pacifica is getting about 18MPG around town.

Beware the Chevy
By Price on 06/14/06 10:38 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Suburban C1500 LT 4dr SUV

For 30k I was impressed. Until the fuel pump, transmission, a/c system, heater core, front end, water pump (for the 2nd time) all went out in the same month. 5 grand later my truck is running again. Come to find out this is typical for a Chevy, and all before 100k miles. Unfortunately all at once for us. I love the room, but the true cost to own sends me back to Toyota. Get it together Chevrolet, you might as well be a Ford.

Good 'ol Faithful
By Happy Soccer Mom on 06/01/05 19:37 PM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Suburban C1500 LT 4dr SUV

"The beast" was purchased with 69k on it and has never skipped a beat (now 113k). I might have gotten a gem, but I swear by Toyota & Honda....now I swear by Chevy. The last year of the 350 engine in the Suburbans is a classic. The new 323 in year 2000 and newer has more torque but less oompf for towing than mine. Traveling highways out to Arizona, with 4 passengers and full luggage load we got 26mpg! Tows like a dream. I too, have a small A/C leak - glad to hear from previous review it's a cheap fix. Bilstein shocks and it rides like a Cadillac. PLENTY of room for carseats, dogs, etc. All power seats/heaters still work like brand new. I'm a very happy Chevy owner! I will drive this truck till the doors fall off!

Hooked
By MGVasquez on 11/15/04 23:28 PM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Suburban C1500 LT 4dr SUV

With more room than anybody knows what to do with, I have to say that the Marine Corps appreciates this vehicle a lot. With space for 8 Marines plus cargo, I can get my entire shop to the airstrip with ease. Cross country trips are a breeze, and the entertainment system helps keep the kids at ease. No major problems have occured, only a new battery at 77,000. And a minor A/C leak in a metal fitting that I patched for $3.00 And if you do buy any vehicle of this type I highly recommend buying bosch 4 prong platinum spark plugs that can raise gas mileage by up to 7 mpg.