Used 1999 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LT Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Chevrolet Suburban - Consumer Reviews

1999 Chevrolet Suburban

View reviews for a specific Suburban model:

Just can't let it go
By Andy

1999 Chevrolet Suburban C1500 LT 4dr SUV

I've had this truck since 2006. It was an intentionally sought out buy, and overall, I'm glad I bought it. I think the more people/weight/cargo, the better it drives and handles (minus the very weak braking). It is extremely comfortable, quick enough in its own right, and handles well. Economically, MPG are less than desirable (mine are about 10/11 and around 13 highway). Little did I know at the time of purchase, but this was a fleet vehicle that was very poorly maintained. It was beaten up pretty badly, but with some TLC, a new transmission, and routine maintenance, its a fine riding, good looking truck.

Favorite Features

Creature comforts, ergonomics, style, performance

Suggested Improvements

Brakes too small, door handles weak, terrible gas mileage

A Little Work For An Older Gem
By Rambo

1999 Chevrolet Suburban C1500 LT 4dr SUV

Bought this Sub with 60K on it. Now at 105K. Many mods made to it. K&N Air Filter, Slotted front rotors, HypertechIII programmer, True dual exhaust with glass packs/headers, 2" front suspension drop, wider tires, 18" wheels, larger front brakes. All this enables 18+MPG on the hi-way. Makes heads turn even at 9 years old. Will flat out fly for a heavy SUV. Won't beat a Mustang but eats "Sport" trucks up for lunch. Cruises like it's on glass after the 2" drop in the nose. All together, I can't complain. Driving a 4 ton truck like a Corvette more than makes up for the $100+ gas station stops. But so does room for 8 and 700 miles between fill-ups! A little time/money goes a long way with her.

Favorite Features

350 V8. Abundance of aftermarket "toys". Much cheaper and easier to work on than imports or newer SUVs/trucks. 44gal gas tank means I can pick and choose when to fill up. Plenty of room for a custom stereo and 8 adults. Went thru 12" of snow last winter with a 2WD and didn't get stuck. Chevy rules!

Suggested Improvements

Bring back a real V8. You're buying a tank. Don't expect the fuel mileage of a motorcycle out of it. Hybrids and AFM systems are just more complex systems waiting to break down. If you're buying a 8+ year old vehicle, expect things to break. They don't last forever without some investment into them!

Dependable at times
By Bigg Poppa P

1999 Chevrolet Suburban C1500 LT 4dr SUV

Bought used with 78K to tow our 21 foot Outback TT. Tows OK. Replaced battery, altenator, starter and original tires at 80000. Fuel gauge needle vibrates. Changed engine oil to synthetic had minor leaks, went back to regular QS. Installed Magnaflow muffler with dual outs, K&N air filter and throttle body spacer. HP and mileage improved. Front discs warped did complete brake job. Manifold gasket replaced at 111000 and new starter. The DRL's worked when we bought it. Now they come on whenever. Fuel pump very loud since we bought it and is hanging in there. Small leak in A/C system. Water leaks from hard rains cleaned drain no luck. Headlite lenses dull bought new ones. Buy again? Newer maybe!

Favorite Features

Inside space and exterior looks.

Suggested Improvements

Beefier brakes, bigger tire/wheel size, stronger tranny, reliable fuel pump, better manifold gaskets, higher output alternator and battery, more horsepower and torque. Overall quality!

Like my 1999 Suburban
By One happy owner

1999 Chevrolet Suburban C1500 LT 4dr SUV

I am the original owner of a 2WD LT with approx 130K miles. It's been a terrific vehicle. We're into middle-age repairs. Water pump, alternator, radiator, AC etc. Next job is new shocks and struts. Biggest complaint is the brake system. I plan on driving mine for at least another 100-150K miles. BTW, I'm averaging 16MPG in virtually all conditions and loads. My wife's new Pacifica is getting about 18MPG around town.

Favorite Features

Size, cargo capacity. Best long-distance driver I've ever owned. There's no single attribute that is outstanding. However, the total package is terrific.

Suggested Improvements

Brakes are soft. Stopping power doesn't instill confidence

Beware the Chevy
By Price

1999 Chevrolet Suburban C1500 LT 4dr SUV

For 30k I was impressed. Until the fuel pump, transmission, a/c system, heater core, front end, water pump (for the 2nd time) all went out in the same month. 5 grand later my truck is running again. Come to find out this is typical for a Chevy, and all before 100k miles. Unfortunately all at once for us. I love the room, but the true cost to own sends me back to Toyota. Get it together Chevrolet, you might as well be a Ford.

Favorite Features

Roominess & versatility, when it is running.

Suggested Improvements

Quality of everything else. Namely, transmission, fuel pump, a/c leaks. Haven't met a Suburban owner yet who hasn't had the same problems.