Used 1998 Chevrolet Suburban Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Chevrolet Suburban - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Suburban model:

Suburban
By 123456789123456789

1998 Chevrolet Suburban C1500 4dr SUV

The Suburban of our family is the one we rely on and hauls the family and groceries. The mother of the home drives it and she thinks it is the best car out their.

Strong and powerfull engine, great cargo capacity, hauls 2 families easily, great for fiting in from the country to the mall and more

cheap interior and plastics, windshield wipers act up, only 15 inch wheels should be upsised a couple of inches.

Good so far.
By sellinghomes4u

1998 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

Best overall large SUV I've looked at. Checked out Explorers and Jeep Grand Cherokee and Durango. All WAY too small for a family. Overall it seems to be a well thought out vehicle. I wonder if some of the people who've rated it so badly perhaps hadn't gotten ones that had been abused wrecked or poorly modified. I also rated it highly on gas mileage. Mine has been averaging 15mpg in mixed driving, it's overall fuel economy isn't much different than my mini-van. I haven't owned it long enough to comment on reliabilty. It's comfortable, quiet, smooth and handles quite well (within the confines of what it is). Overall I'm quite pleased with it.

Large size interior. Good HVAC system. Very good fuel economy (considering size/weight), good overall performance. Hanndling, ride and acceleration very good for size of unit. Good looking truck.

The steering's on center feel is a litte weak. Rear visibility with barn doors could be better. Should have power outlets in rear. Brake feel could/should be better.

Love-Hate Relationship
By Dennis Richardt

1998 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought it used. Thank my lucky stars I purchased a warranty. 6 months Trani. 16 months rear end. 23 months signal switch, $400.00. Above average break wear. And it pulls the boat very well. It loves the Colorado 4x4 mountain trails. Never a lack of power. I love it & and sometimes hate it. But I would never be without it.

Big enough for family of 6 & our gear. Pulls 3000 lbs with ease. King of the Road & Off Road.

Wish I could get better gas milage, and I hope the breakdowns have been addressed in the more recent models.

Broken
By bdew

1998 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

Our suburban is on it's 4th alternator and it's 4th fuel pump which is a 400.00 part that is inside the fuel tank. The water pump and intake manifold gasket have both had to be replaced with countles other problems like brakes and electrical failures. The motor pings badly when under no load but going up a slight incline and has 60% of it's original power.

It will haul a lot of people or stuff

A 40,000.00 vehicle should not require the constant maintenance this has.

Favorite Vehicle in 30 years
By PEDE

1998 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

Purchased in order to carry 1 child, 3 Grandchildren and my faithful Dog. I couldn't be happier with any other vehicle. I'v been buying & driving for 30 years and have had some pretty raw deals. This one has been AWSOME. I would HIGHLY recommend a Suburban for a family or a person needing hauling/towing capacity.

Everything from bumper to bumper. The gas isn't really all that bad either. 19mpg on the highway. I travel 700 miles before needing to fill up when I'm on the road.

Build more of them.