Used 1998 Chevrolet Suburban SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Chevrolet Suburban - Consumer Reviews

1998 Chevrolet Suburban SUV

View reviews for a specific Suburban model:

Great truck-built with low quality components
By jbaggins

1998 Chevrolet Suburban SUV K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

Granted I did buy this in 2010 with 200,000 miles on it. Interior door handles broke inside. cheap plastic parts throughout break way too easily. Great interior space. Have 4 kids so we all fit comfortably. Rear heat works great, tinted windows and lots of power. It was starting to nickel and dime. Rear end differential parts broke, transmission wouldn't stay in overdrive, lots of electric gremlins left interior lights on randomly due to shorts behind dash. Intake manifold gasket went ($600 repair). Horrible gas mileage. Rusting in bad spots due to poor rust proofing. Water leaks into blower, rusting it out insid. I liked driving it but it was going to bankrupt me keeping it up.

Favorite Features

Huge amount of space. Great power and towing capacity. Perfect in snow with 4x4. Good looking truck. Lots of cupholders. Good interior storage and cubbys. Great road presence.

Suggested Improvements

Getting in and out of rear seat difficult due to sliding middle seats which were hard to slide. High step really needs a running board as standard for ease of access. Serious quality issues due to GM cost cutting of engine gaskets, rust proofing, cheap electrical parts etc.

Best SUV Ever Owned
By Best Ever Owned

1998 Chevrolet Suburban SUV K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

Purchased with 42k miles and now at 178k miles and still going. I perform maintenance at local mechanic when needed and never replaced the transmission in 178k miles. Brakes should be larger as others have suggested. Great SUV for families and very safe for highway and local traveling. Awesome camping vehicle for tent camping and now towing large Pop up camper. Recommend to anyone looking for late model large SUV.

Favorite Features

Ample seating, storage and roof rack very useful for travel. Great handling for large SUV. Spacious and safe feel on highway and in snow. Recommend BF Goodrich Long Trail LT if you load it up.

Suggested Improvements

Needs larger braking system. Recommend some aftermarket upgrades to brakes. Somewhat expensive to maintain due to being larger size vehicle, but worth every bit.

Over 200K and still going strong
By Mark

1998 Chevrolet Suburban SUV K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

I sold my previous Suburban (1994 and 300K miles) to purchase this one. It came with about 100K on it and was lacking in the routine maintenance department, after fixing and servicing the vehicle it has served us very well. Always starts even at -40 F, its easy to get in and out of (a must for my line of work). Pulls/hauls my 31' camper, the boat, or the car trailer with ease. I now have a little over 215K and still use it regularly with minimal maintenance issues. I would highly recommend this to others. As with any vehicle preventative maintenance and a competent mechanic can make all the difference. In my five years of ownership I have replaced 1 radiator, 2 door handles, and 1 brake line

Favorite Features

The visibility is great as is the interior space and towing capacity

Suggested Improvements

I wish they still offered the diesel engine option. My parents had one back in the 80's and on family vacations we would see mileage in the high 20's. I don't know of any SUVs or crossovers that can do that let alone a suburban.

The Best SUV EVER!!!!
By The Guy

1998 Chevrolet Suburban SUV K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

Ever since I can remember my family has bought nothing but fords until me! I bought this Sub when I turned 16 and have never had a problem. My wife now owns a 2004 Sub my brother and my mom both have 1994 subs and my father has a 2002 Tahoe (but wants more room). These truly are the best SUV's ever!

Favorite Features

All around Size makes you feel safe and comfortable

Suggested Improvements

Bigger cup holders

Wow
By Ford guy

1998 Chevrolet Suburban SUV K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

I have had two suburbans now. I normally drive fords but the suburban is just a better rig than the expedition and the excursions is just too damn big. Anyway, it is true that these vehicles have a few weak spots. I have done the intake gasket, the radiator, power steering pump but that is about it. Both my suburbans required the above repairs at the same mileage. They are very predictable and considering how heavy duty these rigs are, not too bad in terms of maintenance. There simply isn't anything out there that can touch the suburban for its combination of utility, comfort, towing capacity, and yes fuel economy. Pound for pound this thing is as efficient as a honda civic.

Favorite Features

Power, room, towing capacity, turning radius (better than many cars)

Suggested Improvements

The intake gasket problem on the GM as well as many others really needs to be addressed. I believe it is due to the use of plastic intakes. Go back to metal, it only saves a few pounds and the price is reliability/reputation...