1998 Chevrolet Suburban - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Suburban model:
Great truck-built with low quality components
By jbaggins on 07/22/12 09:23 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

Granted I did buy this in 2010 with 200,000 miles on it. Interior door handles broke inside. cheap plastic parts throughout break way too easily. Great interior space. Have 4 kids so we all fit comfortably. Rear heat works great, tinted windows and lots of power. It was starting to nickel and dime. Rear end differential parts broke, transmission wouldn't stay in overdrive, lots of electric gremlins left interior lights on randomly due to shorts behind dash. Intake manifold gasket went ($600 repair). Horrible gas mileage. Rusting in bad spots due to poor rust proofing. Water leaks into blower, rusting it out insid. I liked driving it but it was going to bankrupt me keeping it up.

Best SUV Ever Owned
By Best Ever Owned on 10/03/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

Purchased with 42k miles and now at 178k miles and still going. I perform maintenance at local mechanic when needed and never replaced the transmission in 178k miles. Brakes should be larger as others have suggested. Great SUV for families and very safe for highway and local traveling. Awesome camping vehicle for tent camping and now towing large Pop up camper. Recommend to anyone looking for late model large SUV.

Over 200K and still going strong
By Mark on 05/21/10 09:39 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

I sold my previous Suburban (1994 and 300K miles) to purchase this one. It came with about 100K on it and was lacking in the routine maintenance department, after fixing and servicing the vehicle it has served us very well. Always starts even at -40 F, its easy to get in and out of (a must for my line of work). Pulls/hauls my 31' camper, the boat, or the car trailer with ease. I now have a little over 215K and still use it regularly with minimal maintenance issues. I would highly recommend this to others. As with any vehicle preventative maintenance and a competent mechanic can make all the difference. In my five years of ownership I have replaced 1 radiator, 2 door handles, and 1 brake line

The Best SUV EVER!!!!
By The Guy on 08/26/09 01:21 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

Ever since I can remember my family has bought nothing but fords until me! I bought this Sub when I turned 16 and have never had a problem. My wife now owns a 2004 Sub my brother and my mom both have 1994 subs and my father has a 2002 Tahoe (but wants more room). These truly are the best SUV's ever!

Wow
By Ford guy on 08/12/09 16:55 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

I have had two suburbans now. I normally drive fords but the suburban is just a better rig than the expedition and the excursions is just too damn big. Anyway, it is true that these vehicles have a few weak spots. I have done the intake gasket, the radiator, power steering pump but that is about it. Both my suburbans required the above repairs at the same mileage. They are very predictable and considering how heavy duty these rigs are, not too bad in terms of maintenance. There simply isn't anything out there that can touch the suburban for its combination of utility, comfort, towing capacity, and yes fuel economy. Pound for pound this thing is as efficient as a honda civic.

Urban Tank
By OffRoading on 06/27/09 18:11 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Suburban C1500 4dr SUV

I've loved this truck since I bought it. I've been hit 4 times in it, only one required major work and it still runs great and no one was injured. I still get 18 mpg in the city. The transmission tends to go out at 110,000 miles, I know of 4 people that it happened to. Water pump and heater control valve both started to leak around 140,000 miles. Currently have 150,000. The brakes I put on last about 20,000 miles, but the rotor only lasts about 2 or 3 break changes.

Solid, safe and large SUV
By kv on 04/29/09 21:25 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Suburban C1500 4dr SUV

This has been a solid vehicle. We've pulled a 28 foot RV, which does pull pretty tough up some modest hills. Gas mileage pulling the RV is about 7 MPG. Without the RV, it seems to range from 12 to 16 MPG depending on temp and driving habits. Lots of interior room and we love the storage in the back behind the 3rd seat. The dash lights for the hot/cold have been out since we got it. The fan speed no longer works - its always on full blast. The engine has been solid and we have had good luck with it. There are still a lot of these on the road, a true testament to their durability.

Most reliable vehicle on the planet.
By Impressed on 12/17/08 17:32 PM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

This vehicle currently has 274,000 miles on it and has been the best vehicle I have ever driven. I have taken it all over the US and parts of Canada. I tow over 5000lbs on a weekly basis. The only things I have had to replace more often than would be common is the brakes. The brakes on this vehicle should have been upsized considerably. The front pads last about 10,000 miles if you are gentle. The water pump was replaced at 120k and again at 240k. No biggie. My Honda has to have it replaced every 60k.

Chevy Quality
By carconjam on 06/20/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought at 20K miles. Exhaust donoughts had to replaced every 35K miles. Electrical problems. Fun rig, but not reliable.

1998 DIESEL Suburban
By CSpectre on 06/05/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Suburban C2500 4dr SUV

Say what you want about SUV's.. Bought this 1998 Suburban Diesel.. love it.. 20mpg city 24 mpg hwy.. 6.5 turbo diesel is the way to go.. will buy another paid 1.58 for fuel 6/04