An absolute Juggernaut
By james_nicklin on
1997 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 4dr SUV 4WD
Purchased used for $5k @ 150,000 miles. 20,000 miles later I still think it is the Best truck I have ever owned. I have carried two families of 8 (4 car seats and 4 adults). I have hauled 1,500 lbs of equipment with space to spare. I pulled a friends crew cab truck out of 3 1/2 feet of running water (interior and bed flooded) uphill on gravel at idle. It has protected my family through two car accidents in which the other vehicles were totaled and the Suburban withstood cosmetic/no damage. Fantastic comfort for long drives, 3 leather rows. Moving from Tacoma Wa to Phoenix AZ took two tank-fulls for a 1,600 mile drive. Over my 20k miles I have averaged 16.3 mpg and maxed at 19.3
Favorite Features
Safety, fuel-economy (for size), gas tank (42 gal), comfort, and most of all the unbelievable amount of torque from 600 rpm to 2,000 rpm. Great rear visibility makes backing into a parking spot a cinch.
Suggested Improvements
Handles like an aircraft carrier, I wish it had Quadrasteer. Brakes mostly feel like they are politely asking the 3+ tons to stop instead of commanding it unless you press the pedal all the way down. Also wish the third row was fold-flat, something they don't even have now for Subs.