Used 1997 Chevrolet Suburban SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Chevrolet Suburban SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Suburban model:

Ultimate family hauler - 4wd diesel Sub
By 4smiths

1997 Chevrolet Suburban SUV K2500 4dr SUV 4WD

After 20 months and 24,000 miles, my wife loves this truck for its overall capability and family friendliness. Gets 18mpg @ 75 mph cruising, and 15mpg in strictly around-town driving. The 6.5L turbodiesel is a remarkable powerplant for a full-size SUV, and the 4L-80E transmission is simply outstanding in every way. Surprisingly good handler for such a huge rig, although it will never fool a driver into thinking that it's a sports car!

People / cargo capacity. Comfort in long-distance cruising. All-weather transport (with proper tires). Crash safety (hope we never need this).

Better cargo net for area behind rear seat. Duramax diesel engine / Allison transmission.

Comfort, visability, Power
By Kevin01145

1997 Chevrolet Suburban SUV K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

I actually really am sorry to let this one go. I have a trailer and love to pull all sorts of things. This rig has been absolutly fabulous!

Height, Road feel...secure feelin!

Gas Mileage needs improvements

Lovin' it
By Sub-2

1997 Chevrolet Suburban SUV K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

This is my second Suburban. The firsat was a '92 2wd. This truck is a big improvement over my '92. The ride quality is awesome. There is a little corner sway that is common in big SUVs.I give Chevy an A for effort on this truck.

Heart attack of America
By Airmike

1997 Chevrolet Suburban SUV K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

Where can I start, brakes inadequate for this heavy vehicle- rotors always going out - calipers replaced ,on the 3rd transmission - replaced fuel pump - universal joint - alternator - starter - water pump - heater control valve - a/c evaporator - battery post problems - fusible link - it now has 146000 miles, I have owned for almost 3 years , about $9000 in repairs. Every time I think nothing else can go wrong , it does. If you own one of these I strongly suggest joining AAA, they have towed me 3 times this year. Don't get me wrong, I have a 86 K1500 truck and it is great, I guess I got a Friday or Monday build.

Size

Newer models have made significant changes - but I am not going to try one next time

K2500 4WD Diesel
By kegler

1997 Chevrolet Suburban SUV K2500 4dr SUV 4WD

I have the diesel version, so my experience is probably different than others. The diesel runs very well and is extremely reliable. It pulls a trailer without problems (both a heavy boat and a camper). Overall, a very nice vehicle that gets better than normal fuel mileage because of the diesel package.

Diesel package, cargo room

the 3/4 ton rides a little harsh. Would like to see it be smoother. Would also like to see the diesel returned to the options for new Suburbans.

• SUV