1997 Chevrolet Suburban SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Suburban model:
solid family truck
By graniteman on 12/20/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Suburban SUV K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

After owning two GM trucks since 1990, I talked my wife into buying a burb to haul around our four kids. We bought it used with 62k on it. After only a few thousand miles I noticed the auto trans was shifting rough. It turns out the valve body(inside trans)was the culprit. The repair was $700. This burb will flat out roll down the highway-keeping it under 70 IS a problem.We use the 4wd daily to get up our steeeep gravel driveway. It is time for new brake pads,(and rotors I would guess), due to a pulsing feeling during hard braking. Better fuel economy than either of 2500 model pickups 13-18mpg vs. 17-20mpg.

kim's sub
By puppy on 12/11/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Suburban SUV C1500 4dr SUV

family car. great for vacations or road trips with kids and friends. garage keeped ever since it was bought. bought car from friend with 23000 miles on it.

Very poor vehicle
By kval87 on 12/01/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Suburban SUV K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

We are very displeased with this vehicle. in just five short years we have had to fork out over $8000 to fix this "lemon." I wouldn't recommend buying another one EVER.

Typical American Car
By amccoy on 11/15/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Suburban SUV C1500 4dr SUV

Our Suburban has a little over 50,000 on it, mostly city miles. We pull a Coleman popup trailer with it when we go camping which doesn't seem to strain the engine at all, even climbing. Overall, we like the vehicle, however, we have experience our share of the quality problems mentioned by the other reviewers. The transmission went out at just over 42,000, the alternator went out, and the things seems to go through batteries every few years and the brakes are terrible. My transmission guy said that it should have lasted longer than it did, however, after reading the other reviews, I see I am not alone.

A Great SUV for the Family and Trips
By TheFamilyMan on 10/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Suburban SUV K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

Great SUV for the whole family and for taking long trips. Lot's of room in the back (third seat can be removed for extra space). Great for the kids to get in and out. This is a home on wheels.

Great Suburban
By JDave on 09/23/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Suburban SUV C1500 4dr SUV

Our '97 Suburban has 86,000 miles on it and the only repairs which I have had to make on it was front brakes, battery and idler arm. I guess we were lucky after reading some of the other reviews. We have been very pleased with it overall.

our 97 Sub
By coxmcse on 07/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Suburban SUV K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

We bought the Suburban for several reasons. First, it can easily haul my wife and I and our three children and still give us a third row seat as well as cargo room. Second, it is a very safe vehicle. Third, it can haul our family, our camping gear and our pop-up camper with ease. This is the main reason we didn't go with a minivan. Fourth, the powertrain is reliable. The entire truck has been reliable ever since we bought it. We did buy used because, like many vehicles, this truck loses value too quick to warrant paying for a new one. This truck was four years old and in great shape and we picked it up for about 45% of the cost for a new one.

Oh My God!!!
By gcd on 06/01/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Suburban SUV K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

I have had everyhting break that you can imagine. Water pump, 3 alternators, exhaust pipe, universal joint, power seat, blower motor, fuel pump, a/c compressor, wiper switch, and a coolant leak on the intake manifold. And of course it all happened after the warranty. JUNK!!!!! Only has 70K miles.

$$$$uburban
By 737Captain on 05/01/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Suburban SUV C1500 4dr SUV

In the last 12 months of ownership: FAILURES: two transmissions, alternator, brakes, ignition, fuel injection, water pump, rear axle bearings, air conditioning. Repair costs: $6800. Mileage now: 74000.

poortruck
By walkingman on 04/26/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Suburban SUV C1500 4dr SUV

just this year i have spent over $2000 on this vehicle. stuff like the intake gasket due to the poor selection of antifreeze by gm.,the pitman arm, the power steering pump, the water pump, and rodding out the radiator. just today i have had to call a tow truck to come and get it. this time it is the transmission(bad news) i dont even tow stuff with this vehicle.