Used 1997 Chevrolet Suburban Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Chevrolet Suburban - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Suburban model:

Mine has been good to me
By Bulletproof Burban

1997 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

I like mine, it has been a reliable companion. I have had to replace wear items, but nothing unusual, and it has never left me stranded in 6 years and 110K miles. I have no complaints about its reliability, and I am a Toyota salesman! Been off road way more than the average Suburban, and never broke down or got stuck. It has been coast to coast, and gets 21- 24 highway. Worst highway mileage I ever got was 19 MPG before I had it tuned up. I will get another of this generation, a Gold 1999, when I return to living in the mountains. They are easy to maintain yourself. I only have used my '97 off road and in the winter, but I bet I could put a million miles on one.

Favorite Features

Cargo room, headroom, looks, 4WD. Mine has the locking differential in the rear, so I rarely need to engage the 4WD in less than a foot of snow.

Suggested Improvements

The interior door handle broke this winter at 10 below. It was made from powdered metal. Should be made from better steel for longevity.

Good Value
By Fred Red

1997 Chevrolet Suburban K2500 4dr SUV 4WD

Owned for 7 years - hardly any problems except one bad alternator. Excellent value, huge capacity, dependable performance. One of the better cars I have owned.

SUV of the Year
By Elgast

1997 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

We have owned 3 Suburban and we love them. Our last one was totalled last week (a car pulled out in front of us while we were going 60+mph) The car handled beautiful. After a head on collision with another car we just wouldn't have any other vehicle. Besides we have 4 kids and need the space.

SUV of the Year
By Lovin the NW

1997 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

We have owned 3 Suburbans and we love them. Our last one was totalled last week (a car pulled out in front of us while we were going 60+mph) The car handled beautiful. After a head on collision with another car we just wouldn't have any other vehicle. Besides we have 4 kids and need the space. We did have to put a transmission in our 2nd one HINT: Have them put a shift kit in.

Favorite Features

Lots of room to haul everything home from Costco!

Suggested Improvements

For the window to automatically come down in a collision. We could not breathe from the airbag smoke and I could think to roll the window down. Heavier brakes.

Bring you Wallet
By MN-Suburban

1997 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

Purchased new; Back in the shop within one week; In the shop every 6 months. On my 3rd tranny and I don't tow anything! So far, $14,000 in repair bills. To the point now that fixing it is still cheaper than a new truck payment. I'll try and hang on for 10 years.

Favorite Features

Ride comfort.

Suggested Improvements

Chevy should own up to the reliablity problems. Lot's of people on this and other sites, echo the same issues. The dealerships are laughing all the way to the bank with all the repairs they do.