1997 Chevrolet Suburban - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Suburban model:
1997 Chev Sub k1500
By greedorfear on 07/11/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

I am really enjoying it so far. I have only put 1200 miles on it so far. but i do plan on taking it all over the east coast

passes everthing but a gas station
By wiscasset on 06/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Suburban K2500 4dr SUV 4WD

so far this truck is great, gas consumption is poor 11-13mpg highway or city. lots of power and room for what ever you want. i live in maine and winter driving is very safe with this heavy suv

A true lemon
By jgm on 05/27/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

Clearly the least reliable vehicle I've ever owned. Breaks down every 15,000 miles. I average $1000-$2000 of unscheduled repairs each year. The transmission just gave out completely yesterday. I'm kind of glad, now I have a good excuse to buy another vehicle.

Sub-par-bun
By Sub-par-bun on 04/14/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Suburban C1500 4dr SUV

6 "extended shop visits" in six years. Major transmission work - twice. Head gasket. FUEL PUMP - WIRES SHORTED OUT AND MELTED (fuel pump is IN the gas tank), lucky to be alive. Water pump replaced. Rear end diff work. Glad I didn't buy a 4x4 (twice the repairs?) and glad I did buy the extended warranty (wish it was still in force). Still interested? Good, mine is for sale.

The 4 Suburbans Owner
By Cherokawa on 03/08/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

I'm a long time Suburban owner. I have 4 of them. My Likes are the sound system. for a factory stereo, it is outstanding. I like the feel of saftey in a truck like the Suburban, ( I hate the "Yuppie" word SUV )but it's loaded with more plastic and softer metal than the previous Suburbans I own. But still held up real well in the 60mph accident I had and I walked away, and drove away after the police finished the report.The utility truck I hit didn't fare out so well.the thing I hate the most is the Fuel Economy, but 12mpg local is pretty good for the weight and size of the truck. 17mpg highway with a 38 Ft. travel Trailer isn't too Shabby either.

A woman's review
By truckinmom on 03/04/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

Was afraid to drive such a big vehicle, but my husband wanted it and now I love it - I wouldn't trade it for the world. My kids love the room it has and we can carry the whole extended family around instead of taking two cars everywhere. As well as you can haul just about anything in it. It's an all around great vehicle and would recommend it to anyone. I find that I don't drive very fast in it, I drive faster in my Pontiac, just because my braking distance is longer than a regular car so I put extra distance between myself and other cars and I simply enjoy driving my Suburban.

Junk from the Get-Go
By Honest Abe on 01/24/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

This truck broke down day one. Within the first three months all of the fuel injectors were replaces, with multiple visits. The power assisted steerting took three visits to repair. A bunch of minor problems, but a trip to the dealership is still a problem. The front disc brakes are gone every 6 months. At 100,000 the real costs started to add up, new transimission, radiator, engine and the list goes on. It's fair to say that $15K in repairs have been done to this truck inside 150,000 miles.

Suburbans are junk
By fdl on 01/07/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

Worst vehicle I have ever owned. I've written Chevrolet letters and they don't even respond. The transmissions in these vehicles are defective and GM just ignores their customers. I will never own a GM vehicle again! Do yourself a favor and spend more on vehicles that have high quality and reliability ratings.

I'm buying a ford !!!!
By p/o owner!!!! on 01/07/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Suburban C1500 4dr SUV

I bought my 97 chevy 1500 suburban from a used car dealer that is very well know with 46000 miles on it.With in a year and puting 12,500 miles on it the transmission went out($3345.00)the front rotors went bad ($674.00)front tie rods and arms went bad (est.$568.00) I just had the fuel pump go out and computer go out ($933.00)water pump and the list goes on !I must say that the short that happened on the fuel pump and sending unit was in the GAS TANK ! the wires melted ! and if I'm not mistaken red hot wires and gas don't mix ! So in closing I'm trading this car in as soon as I can !

Gm Junk
By western6 on 01/02/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

We bought this vehicle used. the trans went out at 38000k and gm would not back it beacause we were the 2nd owners of it, we also ha the alternator go. plus severa; brake jobs, o2 sensors. we live on a ranch and the thing rattled apart. we sold it