Used 1997 Chevrolet Suburban Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Chevrolet Suburban - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Suburban model:

love it
By lilcowgirl

1997 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

i bought it with about 150,000 miles on it,the 2nd owner had already replace the tranny & maybe one more thing. one of the tires is wearing a little on the outside so i'm having the front end looked at, which isn't going to cost anything to fix.i went from driving something small to driving it & the suburban was a big difference but once i got used to driving it i loved it.in fact every time i get in it,i don't want to stop driving it because i love driving so much. has plenty of room & i can't wait to go fishing. i would recommend this vehicle to anyone wanting a vehicle to drive for the family,its fun to drive,it has lots of room & lots of power. i hope to be driving it for a long time.

the front and rear heat and air, third row seating, loves how it drives, the stereo system(am/fm/tape/cd), all the room that it has, and my son loves it too.

maybe the brakes be a little better but then it could just be that i'm just getting used to driving it. i went from driving a jeep grand cherokee laredo 4w, 4dr, inline 6, 4.0, only seating 5 and a lot smaller than the suburban. so maybe that's because of driving something so small for years.

Great Vehicle!
By J.R.Gibbs

1997 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

We purchased one for family traveling and some trailer towing.. Ours has 185,000 miles on the original engine, transmission. We have had no real problems with it, except we did replace the water pump and radiator due to minor issues unrelated to the quality of the vehicle. This is a very well- built vehicle, and I would recommend it to anyone. Recently, driving 1800 miles and back, we averaged 20.9MPG with the cruise set at 75MPH. If you take care of this vehicle and get one that has not been driven by an idiot kid, you should be totally fine. I do recommend you totally flush out the Dexcool coolant(red) and replace it with green or yellow, as Dexcool is known for destroying gaskets...

Good stock stereo, very comfortable for long drives, pulls up to 7,000 pounds quite impressively..

Manual backup to the 4WD locking mechanism would be nice if the vacuum actuator went out at any time; happened to my father's Blazer and was annoying locking it in manually with Vice- Grips.. The vacuum actuator is under the battery tray.

I love my Suburban!
By Tex

1997 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my Suburban with 97,000 miles for $7,000 cash and have driven it for 30,000 miles over the last five years mostly on the weekends. I use it for hunting, camping and long trips and has worked out extremely well. It is blast to drive. I have spent $1,100 for new a/c compressor, brakes and a water pump but beyond that it runs like a top. At 16 mpg it sucks down the gas but at this point the depreciation is almost nothing, no financing cost, insurance runs $50 per month and I have little in repairs so it is still reasonably economical to operate. This is daddy's toy and I have lots of fun on the road and off road with it. I expect to still be driving this vehicle for many years

The vehicle has ample power and I like the big square hood. It's like driving an aircraft carrier. It has lots of storage area so I keep my camping and fishing gear in the back and can take off for the wild in a moment's notice.

Good family vehicle
By burb owner

1997 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

My truck has run almost errorless expect for a powersteering hose blew out. The 350 is a bulletproof engine doesn't burn a drop of oil at 140000 miles. If you get semiregular checkups the truck will last forever!

Room! I can fit six people and five hockey bags in it.

Stronger springs in the rear

They Think I'm The CIA, FBI...
By jaunty

1997 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

or part of the Presidential escort team. Must be the tinted glass and window trims. 155K miles, and running strong. One new alternator, battery cable housing, fuel pump, oil changes and new rubber. Carts the kids and all their friends, holds up 4X8 sheets of anything with no problem. Great boat hauler, excellent snow vehicle. Feel safe always. One fender bender, other truck was bigger, imagine that, so I took the hit.Little rust starting to show under driver door. Same exhaust for 8 years! Wish I could afford a new one,

The horn!

Leather seats are very slippery. Rear hinges wear tight.