1997 Chevrolet Suburban - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Suburban model:
Good Value
By Dino Motta on 03/25/08 10:50 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

Purchased this vehicle used with 4,500 miles. Currently has 171,000 and still only uses a quart of oil every 3K. For this size vehicle fuel economy is excellent. I just from a 1,500 mile trip and averaged 17.9 mpg traveling at an average speed of 72 mph (5.7L Gas). Most unusual repair was replacement of intake manifold gasket (75K), this appears to be an issue with many Chevy models other in addition to Suburban. I have done many expected repairs, water pump, fuel pump, u-joints, radiator (plastic sides tanks are silly). Brakes, rotors and drums are an issue. Brake system probably undersized for weight of vehicle.

Wonderful car
By Treyb0 on 02/27/08 18:15 PM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

This car was love at first sight. I have had no problems with this car and either has my dad(the first owner). I can drive like a maniac in this car. Rollover nothing. Just don't do too stupid of stuff and you're fine. Not fuel effecient at first look, but if you look at it as you hold 8 people and if those eight people were each driving their own car each car would have to get 105 mpg to burn as little gas as the Suburban. Also the towing capability is supurb which you can't get in any fuel effecient car. I would highly recomend this vehicle to anybody wanting to buy a car.

Surburban to 300k
By AC on 10/07/07 11:53 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Suburban C1500 4dr SUV

Bought at 80k 4 yrs old. Now 10 yrs at 180k...still running strong. One year with $2500 in repairs, but standard maintenance every other year. Replaced serpentine as much as tires, but not sure why. Other than that perfect vehicle. 42 gallon tank...goes the distance. Garage 4 years, in the elements for 6...paint in great condition after 10 years and seldom waxing.

Very Disappointed
By araphel on 08/28/07 17:54 PM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Suburban C1500 4dr SUV

I've owned this 97 sub SLT for three years. In that time, I've spent $5000 in repairs and it now needs another $2000. This vehicle has really made me doubt General Motors desire to remain in business. Little things that should be easy to fix end up being expensive. What happened to "built like a rock?"

Pretty Good Vehicle
By VinceInCali on 03/05/06 19:39 PM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

The only problems I have had with mine is the front brakes and the catalytic converter. It seems to run great otherwise

Mine has been good to me
By Bulletproof Burban on 05/11/05 20:39 PM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

I like mine, it has been a reliable companion. I have had to replace wear items, but nothing unusual, and it has never left me stranded in 6 years and 110K miles. I have no complaints about its reliability, and I am a Toyota salesman! Been off road way more than the average Suburban, and never broke down or got stuck. It has been coast to coast, and gets 21- 24 highway. Worst highway mileage I ever got was 19 MPG before I had it tuned up. I will get another of this generation, a Gold 1999, when I return to living in the mountains. They are easy to maintain yourself. I only have used my '97 off road and in the winter, but I bet I could put a million miles on one.

Good Value
By Fred Red on 09/14/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Suburban K2500 4dr SUV 4WD

Owned for 7 years - hardly any problems except one bad alternator. Excellent value, huge capacity, dependable performance. One of the better cars I have owned.

SUV of the Year
By Elgast on 08/21/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

We have owned 3 Suburban and we love them. Our last one was totalled last week (a car pulled out in front of us while we were going 60+mph) The car handled beautiful. After a head on collision with another car we just wouldn't have any other vehicle. Besides we have 4 kids and need the space.

SUV of the Year
By Lovin the NW on 08/21/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

We have owned 3 Suburbans and we love them. Our last one was totalled last week (a car pulled out in front of us while we were going 60+mph) The car handled beautiful. After a head on collision with another car we just wouldn't have any other vehicle. Besides we have 4 kids and need the space. We did have to put a transmission in our 2nd one HINT: Have them put a shift kit in.

Bring you Wallet
By MN-Suburban on 05/21/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

Purchased new; Back in the shop within one week; In the shop every 6 months. On my 3rd tranny and I don't tow anything! So far, $14,000 in repair bills. To the point now that fixing it is still cheaper than a new truck payment. I'll try and hang on for 10 years.