1997 Chevrolet Suburban SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Suburban model:
Best truck I've ever owned!!
By jbradabadowski on 10/11/12 17:18 PM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Suburban SUV C1500 4dr SUV

I use this truck for a work truck. I usually haul from 1500 to 2000 lbs. of tools in the back of this truck and also pull a 5x10 enclosed trailer fully loaded with tools. It now has 260,000 miles and has never given me any trouble other than I had the transmission rebuilt at 175,000 miles. I have worked this truck much harder than was intended for it and it has never let me down. These older ones are stronger and tougher trucks than the newer ones. My wife drives a 2006 Tahoe and it is just not the work horse that my older suburban is although hers IS a good truck. If you can find one of these Surburbans from 1995 to 1999 with the 5.7 engine with decent miles, buy it. You'll love it.

228,000 miles and doing great!
By runner97 on 09/29/12 05:22 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Suburban SUV K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

My 97 4dr k1500 has 228,000 miles and is doing great. Just used it to pull my travel trailer 6,000 lb through Penn, Maryland, WV, V, KY, and back to Michigan and did great! Other than regular maintenace as well it is doing good. Can't be more happy with it. I don't think you can find anything better for pulling. Things I wish they would keep in the new suburbans. A simple, tuff, and not be afarid to get dirty suburban. The new ones are to nice. Why would you use it for hauling things in.

Needs a full time mechanic onboard.
By billman2 on 05/28/12 18:49 PM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Suburban SUV K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

I must have got a lemon like most others. 9k in repairs to go 80k miles and it's due for more junk parts to be replaced. So far trans, intake, alt, a/c 3 times, brakes allways need work, window motors and a few other goodies. Nice work GM... the heartbreak of america.Even with the price of fuel I may burn it just so I feel better.

An absolute Juggernaut
By james_nicklin on 09/20/11 13:33 PM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Suburban SUV K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

Purchased used for $5k @ 150,000 miles. 20,000 miles later I still think it is the Best truck I have ever owned. I have carried two families of 8 (4 car seats and 4 adults). I have hauled 1,500 lbs of equipment with space to spare. I pulled a friends crew cab truck out of 3 1/2 feet of running water (interior and bed flooded) uphill on gravel at idle. It has protected my family through two car accidents in which the other vehicles were totaled and the Suburban withstood cosmetic/no damage. Fantastic comfort for long drives, 3 leather rows. Moving from Tacoma Wa to Phoenix AZ took two tank-fulls for a 1,600 mile drive. Over my 20k miles I have averaged 16.3 mpg and maxed at 19.3

Great truck
By hello on 06/05/10 13:29 PM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Suburban SUV K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

My 1997 chevy suburban diesel is fantastic. the truck is very tough, looks great, and saves money on fuel( get 1300 km a tank, how can you beat that. barely have to put any money in to the vehicle, except for regular maintenance.

love it
By lilcowgirl on 03/17/10 13:20 PM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Suburban SUV K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

i bought it with about 150,000 miles on it,the 2nd owner had already replace the tranny & maybe one more thing. one of the tires is wearing a little on the outside so i'm having the front end looked at, which isn't going to cost anything to fix.i went from driving something small to driving it & the suburban was a big difference but once i got used to driving it i loved it.in fact every time i get in it,i don't want to stop driving it because i love driving so much. has plenty of room & i can't wait to go fishing. i would recommend this vehicle to anyone wanting a vehicle to drive for the family,its fun to drive,it has lots of room & lots of power. i hope to be driving it for a long time.

Great Vehicle!
By J.R.Gibbs on 04/28/09 08:18 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Suburban SUV K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

We purchased one for family traveling and some trailer towing.. Ours has 185,000 miles on the original engine, transmission. We have had no real problems with it, except we did replace the water pump and radiator due to minor issues unrelated to the quality of the vehicle. This is a very well- built vehicle, and I would recommend it to anyone. Recently, driving 1800 miles and back, we averaged 20.9MPG with the cruise set at 75MPH. If you take care of this vehicle and get one that has not been driven by an idiot kid, you should be totally fine. I do recommend you totally flush out the Dexcool coolant(red) and replace it with green or yellow, as Dexcool is known for destroying gaskets...

I love my Suburban!
By Tex on 05/26/08 00:34 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Suburban SUV K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my Suburban with 97,000 miles for $7,000 cash and have driven it for 30,000 miles over the last five years mostly on the weekends. I use it for hunting, camping and long trips and has worked out extremely well. It is blast to drive. I have spent $1,100 for new a/c compressor, brakes and a water pump but beyond that it runs like a top. At 16 mpg it sucks down the gas but at this point the depreciation is almost nothing, no financing cost, insurance runs $50 per month and I have little in repairs so it is still reasonably economical to operate. This is daddy's toy and I have lots of fun on the road and off road with it. I expect to still be driving this vehicle for many years

Good family vehicle
By burb owner on 05/13/08 17:21 PM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Suburban SUV K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

My truck has run almost errorless expect for a powersteering hose blew out. The 350 is a bulletproof engine doesn't burn a drop of oil at 140000 miles. If you get semiregular checkups the truck will last forever!

They Think I'm The CIA, FBI...
By jaunty on 04/24/08 18:03 PM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Suburban SUV K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

or part of the Presidential escort team. Must be the tinted glass and window trims. 155K miles, and running strong. One new alternator, battery cable housing, fuel pump, oil changes and new rubber. Carts the kids and all their friends, holds up 4X8 sheets of anything with no problem. Great boat hauler, excellent snow vehicle. Feel safe always. One fender bender, other truck was bigger, imagine that, so I took the hit.Little rust starting to show under driver door. Same exhaust for 8 years! Wish I could afford a new one,