Used 1997 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Chevrolet Suburban - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Suburban model:

Best truck I've ever owned!!
By jbradabadowski

1997 Chevrolet Suburban C1500 4dr SUV

I use this truck for a work truck. I usually haul from 1500 to 2000 lbs. of tools in the back of this truck and also pull a 5x10 enclosed trailer fully loaded with tools. It now has 260,000 miles and has never given me any trouble other than I had the transmission rebuilt at 175,000 miles. I have worked this truck much harder than was intended for it and it has never let me down. These older ones are stronger and tougher trucks than the newer ones. My wife drives a 2006 Tahoe and it is just not the work horse that my older suburban is although hers IS a good truck. If you can find one of these Surburbans from 1995 to 1999 with the 5.7 engine with decent miles, buy it. You'll love it.

I like all of the features

Better, more durable door handles.

Surburban to 300k
By AC

1997 Chevrolet Suburban C1500 4dr SUV

Bought at 80k 4 yrs old. Now 10 yrs at 180k...still running strong. One year with $2500 in repairs, but standard maintenance every other year. Replaced serpentine as much as tires, but not sure why. Other than that perfect vehicle. 42 gallon tank...goes the distance. Garage 4 years, in the elements for 6...paint in great condition after 10 years and seldom waxing.

Need reinforced leather on left side of drivers seat.

Very Disappointed
By araphel

1997 Chevrolet Suburban C1500 4dr SUV

I've owned this 97 sub SLT for three years. In that time, I've spent $5000 in repairs and it now needs another $2000. This vehicle has really made me doubt General Motors desire to remain in business. Little things that should be easy to fix end up being expensive. What happened to "built like a rock?"

it seats 8.

build quality and longevity of parts is pathetic

It's a lemon, but it runs good.
By TSgt Vaz

1997 Chevrolet Suburban C1500 4dr SUV

I purchase this vehicle for one purpose and it was for my family. They have enjoyed traveling around the US with it. I have had alot of electrical problems with this Suburban, but it has performed wonderfully for me. It has 116,000 miles on it and it still running good. I just travelled 7,000 miles this july. My family was very comfortable riding in it.

The 3rd row is my girls Bed. They enoy taking turns sleeping in the back row. I also enjoy the rear a/c unit. I just let them control and it's great.

My first and only Burb
By Weasel628

1997 Chevrolet Suburban C1500 4dr SUV

No major problems at all. Regular maintenance upkeep has kept us rolling along. The whole family (7) & dog can fit comfortably. On long trips, all the luggage fits in the rear. Can Expedition owners say the same? We love the way the vehicle travels on the highway. Will keep it until the cows come home.

Good visibility. The Southern Coach package made long distance travels a breeze. Sound system not bad for standard equipment. Like the compass in rearview mirror.

Add a temp gauge in the rearview mirror. Improved fuel economy would be most welcomed.