Used 1997 Chevrolet Suburban Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Chevrolet Suburban - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Suburban model:

Best truck I've ever owned!!
By jbradabadowski

1997 Chevrolet Suburban C1500 4dr SUV

I use this truck for a work truck. I usually haul from 1500 to 2000 lbs. of tools in the back of this truck and also pull a 5x10 enclosed trailer fully loaded with tools. It now has 260,000 miles and has never given me any trouble other than I had the transmission rebuilt at 175,000 miles. I have worked this truck much harder than was intended for it and it has never let me down. These older ones are stronger and tougher trucks than the newer ones. My wife drives a 2006 Tahoe and it is just not the work horse that my older suburban is although hers IS a good truck. If you can find one of these Surburbans from 1995 to 1999 with the 5.7 engine with decent miles, buy it. You'll love it.

Favorite Features

I like all of the features

Suggested Improvements

Better, more durable door handles.

228,000 miles and doing great!
By runner97

1997 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

My 97 4dr k1500 has 228,000 miles and is doing great. Just used it to pull my travel trailer 6,000 lb through Penn, Maryland, WV, V, KY, and back to Michigan and did great! Other than regular maintenace as well it is doing good. Can't be more happy with it. I don't think you can find anything better for pulling. Things I wish they would keep in the new suburbans. A simple, tuff, and not be afarid to get dirty suburban. The new ones are to nice. Why would you use it for hauling things in.

Favorite Features

Love how it pulls and drives. Also, it is great for hauling things. On a wet day it is nice to put a 4 x 8 sheet of dry wall in. Great for families!

Suggested Improvements

Chevy Breaks are always a issue. It is something they can learn from Ford about. Where they put oil filters at. Why in the world would you put a oil filter in a location that is hard to get at and put it in side ways. Make a Truck / SUV that gets good gas mileage. I have know clue why you spend more time in making small cars when amercians wants it's big trucks and etc....

Needs a full time mechanic onboard.
By billman2

1997 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

I must have got a lemon like most others. 9k in repairs to go 80k miles and it's due for more junk parts to be replaced. So far trans, intake, alt, a/c 3 times, brakes allways need work, window motors and a few other goodies. Nice work GM... the heartbreak of america.Even with the price of fuel I may burn it just so I feel better.

Favorite Features

Comfortable to sit in while waiting for the tow truck.

Suggested Improvements

Everything except the radiator cap.

An absolute Juggernaut
By james_nicklin

1997 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

Purchased used for $5k @ 150,000 miles. 20,000 miles later I still think it is the Best truck I have ever owned. I have carried two families of 8 (4 car seats and 4 adults). I have hauled 1,500 lbs of equipment with space to spare. I pulled a friends crew cab truck out of 3 1/2 feet of running water (interior and bed flooded) uphill on gravel at idle. It has protected my family through two car accidents in which the other vehicles were totaled and the Suburban withstood cosmetic/no damage. Fantastic comfort for long drives, 3 leather rows. Moving from Tacoma Wa to Phoenix AZ took two tank-fulls for a 1,600 mile drive. Over my 20k miles I have averaged 16.3 mpg and maxed at 19.3

Favorite Features

Safety, fuel-economy (for size), gas tank (42 gal), comfort, and most of all the unbelievable amount of torque from 600 rpm to 2,000 rpm. Great rear visibility makes backing into a parking spot a cinch.

Suggested Improvements

Handles like an aircraft carrier, I wish it had Quadrasteer. Brakes mostly feel like they are politely asking the 3+ tons to stop instead of commanding it unless you press the pedal all the way down. Also wish the third row was fold-flat, something they don't even have now for Subs.

Great truck
By hello

1997 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

My 1997 chevy suburban diesel is fantastic. the truck is very tough, looks great, and saves money on fuel( get 1300 km a tank, how can you beat that. barely have to put any money in to the vehicle, except for regular maintenance.

Favorite Features

8 passenger

Suggested Improvements

brakes