Used 1996 Chevrolet Suburban Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Chevrolet Suburban - Consumer Reviews

1996 Chevrolet Suburban

View reviews for a specific Suburban model:

A Great American Hoss
By ray

1996 Chevrolet Suburban C1500 4dr SUV

My 95 was still running strong at 265k, but my brother in law wanted to sell his 96. Since it had the Vortec with more horsepower, I sold the 95 and bought his 96. With over 200k it is in great condition. I replaced both barn door catches (NAPA..not dealer) and an elec door lock, and catches on back of middle seats, and that's all. About 16- 17 mpg on road, no oil use, comfort, and hauls a TON!! We deal in Antiques, and recently bought 6 pieces of furniture at an auction and loaded them all in it, plus our own luggage. Not quite enough power when pulling our travel trailer to suit me, and gas mileage drops to 8. Super versatile SUV. When it's gone there'll be another in it's place.

Favorite Features

4x8 floor with seats down.

NICE
By Johnny

1996 Chevrolet Suburban C2500 4dr SUV

This is my father in laws but I use it all the time. We have the big 454 engine. I love it. We tow our travel trailer and this truck has almost 160K miles on it. I love everything about it except for the placement of the vents in the center. They are in a very bad spot and if you use the cup holder, they are worthless. Very strange place and you cannot turn them in far enough. Anyone that owns one knows what I mean. but that is small compared to everything else. Of course the fuel economy is not good, but what do you expect for a 454.

Favorite Features

Towing power and very strong frame. very roomy and plenty of room for cargo and family

Suggested Improvements

Vents as described above. That's it.

Not again!
By cassiopia

1996 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

Comfortable on long trips, adequate power. Electronic brain replace within two weeks as was steering wheel. Headliner had holes in it at the same time and was not replaced. I have put in 4 fuel pumps, 3 alternators, 1 starter motor. the 4 wheel drive went in 80,000 miles and the head gaskets in under 100,000 miles not replaced under warranty, even though I paid $1000.00 for an extended warranty it wasn't honored. Plastic parts are dropping apart. Window and internal door switches have all failed. Build quality was very poor for such an expensive vehicle. Customer service from the mfg was pathetic. GM could take a leaf from Toyota who is still fixing my 17 year old 4runner under warranty.

Favorite Features

Worked extremely well when very new. 4x4 did a good job.

Suggested Improvements

Better build quality. Customer service needs to improve. Warranty policy should be improved.

Awesome Burb 4X4
By Awesome

1996 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought in 2005 with only 16k miles and now have 108k. With a set of Rancho shocks, K&N air intake system and Amsoil synthetic oil thru-out, it just purrs along and looks great on 18" wheels with just a 2" lift. I fear they will quit making gasoline before she quits running. I bought it for the same reason most buy the Suburban. It's so sad to know that before long, we won't have the choice of a Suburban and all the trips and family excitement that they bring. How are we to carry the whole family and all the equipment and the bass boat when all that's left is Greyhound or the MTA?

Favorite Features

The 500 mile range with a full tank is so nice in Texas. The comfort of the seats are great, even with a bad back. My Burb has been so reliable and dependable, always.

Suggested Improvements

Find a way to get 30 MPG. Chevy needs to pay attention when the same problems keep occuring. Then, they need to take action to correct that problem no matter what the cost. That is if, they want to remain viable in the future. I love my Burb but, hate to see others with unsolved problems.

Nice ride, expensive to maintain
By sharpe_012001

1996 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

If you buy a '96 Suburban, you won't want anything else. However, it is extremely expensive. First, you might get 14 mpg. Have you ever used a gas card and had to use it twice at the same fillup (42 gal tank, Gas card stops at $75.) Next, prepare to spend a minimum of $2000/yr. I did the research here and bought it anyway. Have had to replace brakes, master cylinder, booster fuel pump, timing belt tensioner, alternator, and can't remember what else. A minimum of $400 whenever you take it in to the shop. However, can't seem to let it go.

Favorite Features

Size is awesome, great for families. Pulls trailers very well. 42 gallon tank means at least 550-600 miles between fillups on hwy. However, also means $120 to fillup

Suggested Improvements

Not very dependable. At least $400- $500 whenever something goes wrong. Improved gas mileage would be good too. 12-14 mpg