1996 Chevrolet Suburban - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Suburban model:
It's been good
By it's good on 03/25/06 19:03 PM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

We really like our Surburban. It has all the options, and 156,000 miles to boot! For the size, the gas mileage is good. The big well (or center console) is appreciated, but it used to be bigger in 1986. The seats are exteremely comfy, a great highway car.Would appreciate a fold away in the floor 3rd row seat. We love the cargo space behind the 3rd row seat. Love the up high sitting, and it is very easy to get into. LOVE IT!

Solid Like A ROCK
By Ron on 03/09/06 17:10 PM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

After 10 years this truck has proved that America can build a quality truck. Other than a few brake jobs and 2 sets of tires, 1 tune up and 1 fuel pump. This truck pulled a 25ft travel trailer 1 16ft boat 1 23ft cuddy cabin boat and a duel jet ski trailer and pulled my trailer thru a muddy field after we got blind sided by a thunderstorm that washed out the dirt road. In other words this truck was worked. Wasn't only used as a suburban assault vehicle. This truck worked hard and partied twice as hard without looking like it. She still shines, no rust and she lives outside in IL winters. I will put my 10 year old truck up against any new import SUV. She will out run, out tow, and all Oot off road head on

Mechanical disaster
By B.C.U. on 12/18/04 10:42 AM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet Suburban C1500 4dr SUV

The nickname for our 96 2WD is old leaky. We are the original owners and it now has 110K miles. It looks good and runs good except for when it is in the shop--which is often. No embellishing, here is the run down. Four alternators, one water pump, one A/C compressor ($1000), multiple A/C leaks, intake manifold gasket ($800), power steering leak, multiple coolant leaks from network of connections on the heater core hoses, multiple instances of coolant leaks from quick connectors, multiple brake refits (every 12K miles). The tranmission gave up the ghost at 70K miles ($2600) and most recently a significant oil leak from the timing chain cover ($400).

Good but not Great
By davey753 on 09/29/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Suburban K2500 4dr SUV 4WD

Just the right size for my needs, and fun to drive. Mine has a custom interior (made by an aftermarket company), so the aftermarket add on's are great but the factory GM parts are cheap plastic. Very nice vehicle, but it can in NO way compare to a Navigator; the Suburban is'nt even in the same league.

not perfect, but still pretty good
By Submech on 03/01/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

This is my 2nd Suburban and I'm pleased with it. Its comfortable for my 6'3" frame, roomy for my family and their friends, and a great all-around vehicle. The Vortec 5.7 is a reliable engine developing sufficient power for towing a mid-size pop-up camper with fully loaded cabin. Fuel economy varies with speed and throttle finesse, but ranges from 12.5 around town to 21 on the hwy. See "Suggested Imrovements" for my complaints.

Still love it after 7+ years
By CitySub on 02/17/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

The car has been used mostly for highway driving, but it still rides well for a large truck. We drove the truck from NYC to the Great Smokey Mountains and we couldn't imagine making the trip in another car. Ride is a little stiff now, and the suspension isn't what it used to be, but I really can't complain after 7+ years of reliable driving. If my wife would let me, I would buy Suburbans for the rest of my life.

Love it
By G. Garrison on 11/07/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet Suburban C1500 4dr SUV

Due to an accident I had to make a quick decision and buy a used vehicle in a very short amount of time. I found my Suburban at a small road side dealer and couldn't believe the shape it was in. I took ownership of the truck and drove it 1000 miles to Missouri from Florida THAT DAY without a hitch, burp or hiccup. What an amazing vehicle. I was especially impressed with the fuel mileage I got. Almost 17 on the open road loaded. Lots of room and more power than I could have hoped for. I am very happy with my '96 and will keep it until it finally dies. If this is any idication or future performance, I'm going to have it a very long time.

The Best
By J.R.B. on 08/14/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Suburban C1500 4dr SUV

I still get compliments on this vehicle 7 years and 157,000+ miles later.It has the regency custom package and has been great on long trips(too many 1,000+ miles to count)as well as around town.I still get 17.5-18.0 mpg on trips,loaded down.

Mother of four's Suburban Ride
By Laurie on 08/12/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

This vehicle was great for our big family. We go on vacation/camping with 4 kids and lots of luggage/toys/baby stuff. 2 car seats fit with room for another person in the middle. Hastle to get into the third seat row, especially with a car seat in the way. Kids just crawled over the second row seat back to get to the third row (not ideal). The vehicle always started, but little things broke regularly: rear barn door catches and various control knobs broke easily.

Burb pleasure
By DAK on 08/06/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

We've been extremely pleased with this vehicle. Especially for traveling. And for an american car, we've had little trouble with it.