Used 1996 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Chevrolet Suburban SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Suburban model:

A Great American Hoss
By ray

1996 Chevrolet Suburban SUV C1500 4dr SUV

My 95 was still running strong at 265k, but my brother in law wanted to sell his 96. Since it had the Vortec with more horsepower, I sold the 95 and bought his 96. With over 200k it is in great condition. I replaced both barn door catches (NAPA..not dealer) and an elec door lock, and catches on back of middle seats, and that's all. About 16- 17 mpg on road, no oil use, comfort, and hauls a TON!! We deal in Antiques, and recently bought 6 pieces of furniture at an auction and loaded them all in it, plus our own luggage. Not quite enough power when pulling our travel trailer to suit me, and gas mileage drops to 8. Super versatile SUV. When it's gone there'll be another in it's place.

4x8 floor with seats down.

Mechanical disaster
By B.C.U.

1996 Chevrolet Suburban SUV C1500 4dr SUV

The nickname for our 96 2WD is old leaky. We are the original owners and it now has 110K miles. It looks good and runs good except for when it is in the shop--which is often. No embellishing, here is the run down. Four alternators, one water pump, one A/C compressor ($1000), multiple A/C leaks, intake manifold gasket ($800), power steering leak, multiple coolant leaks from network of connections on the heater core hoses, multiple instances of coolant leaks from quick connectors, multiple brake refits (every 12K miles). The tranmission gave up the ghost at 70K miles ($2600) and most recently a significant oil leak from the timing chain cover ($400).

Comfort, power and room.

Work drive train and mechnaical reliability issues. Figure out why Japanese reliability is superior and duplicate efforts.

Love it
By G. Garrison

1996 Chevrolet Suburban SUV C1500 4dr SUV

Due to an accident I had to make a quick decision and buy a used vehicle in a very short amount of time. I found my Suburban at a small road side dealer and couldn't believe the shape it was in. I took ownership of the truck and drove it 1000 miles to Missouri from Florida THAT DAY without a hitch, burp or hiccup. What an amazing vehicle. I was especially impressed with the fuel mileage I got. Almost 17 on the open road loaded. Lots of room and more power than I could have hoped for. I am very happy with my '96 and will keep it until it finally dies. If this is any idication or future performance, I'm going to have it a very long time.

Size and value. Upkeep has been minimal and the economy for fuel has been wonderful. Happy all around.

Better access to 3rd seat. Better knobs. They seem shaky at times.

The Best
By J.R.B.

1996 Chevrolet Suburban SUV C1500 4dr SUV

I still get compliments on this vehicle 7 years and 157,000+ miles later.It has the regency custom package and has been great on long trips(too many 1,000+ miles to count)as well as around town.I still get 17.5-18.0 mpg on trips,loaded down.

The quad leather seats are the most comfortable.A friend rode with us to Yellowstone(from Louisiana),and traded his new Navigator in for a custom Suburban upon his return.He couldn't drive 100 miles in his Navigator without back problems,but we went close to 3000 with no problem.

back seat cup holders need to be better placed.

like a real rock
By ahik Eisenberg

1996 Chevrolet Suburban SUV C1500 4dr SUV

first it's a truck and others know it. Idrove long long trips and it is so comfortale like no other car, you can drive and i love the gas tank it holds 42 g.it was areal pleasure and now its time to by a new one,thinking denali or cadi excalade.