1996 Chevrolet Suburban SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Suburban model:
Best Truck Ever Owned
By gunther39 on 04/20/13 18:47 PM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Suburban SUV K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased my 96 used w/140K NINE years ago, it now has 205K and I simply love it more then ever. Sadly rust is winning the battle of this beloved vehicle. It has been the greatest vehicle I've ever owned and I've owned them all. Also sadly is the insane sticker price for a new one.

Best Car I Ever Owned
By Mike on 01/21/10 20:04 PM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet Suburban SUV K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my suburban @ 120,000 miles and put another 70,000 on over the next 3 years. Never had any major problems. Smooth Transmission, Quiet Engine, Comfortable Ride, Plenty of space, Towed up to 10,000 pounds no problem. It never left me stranded. Extremely reliable. It will take care of you if you take care of it. I did have to replace the fuel pump twice but that was because I tended to drive on a low tank of fuel more often than not. A downer is the fuel economy of course. Take out the back seat, fold down the center row and you have a full size truck; so versatile. Handles awesome in 4 wheel drive. This car will always have a special place in my heart.

awesome
By kevin on 01/13/10 13:47 PM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet Suburban SUV K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

i bought this truck with 300000 km it is still in mint shape with 410000ks original motor and tranny i love this truck to tow my toys around and as well as my 5 kids

Keeps going and going and going.....
By Eddie on 12/21/09 13:27 PM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet Suburban SUV K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

I love my 1996 Suburban. I bought it with 154K in 2005 and now it has 201,000 and counting. I have never had a problem with the Burban. I drove it across the country twice. The truck just turned 200K about a month and a half or so and I just replaced the original thermostat, radiator, water pump and hoses. The originals took the truck to over 200K the upgraded units I installed should take her to an additional 200K. I wouldn't trade it for anything!!! The only complaint I might have is the location of the cup holder. It is right in front of the vent, if its cold and you put the heater on your cold drink will get warm. It has been a fantastic vehicle for my family. Highly recommend!!!

Sweet Ride
By Ange on 12/19/09 09:56 AM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet Suburban SUV K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

My husband sold his Harley this summer and he decided to buy a suburban... or as he calls it a burban! I thought I was going to hate it all big and trucky... but turns out I LOVE IT! I love driving it (people really move out of the way when they see the brush guard!) It is reliable and our family of 5(3 teenage Boys) and one pitbull could not live with out this addition to our family!

A Great American Hoss
By ray on 05/05/09 20:04 PM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Suburban SUV C1500 4dr SUV

My 95 was still running strong at 265k, but my brother in law wanted to sell his 96. Since it had the Vortec with more horsepower, I sold the 95 and bought his 96. With over 200k it is in great condition. I replaced both barn door catches (NAPA..not dealer) and an elec door lock, and catches on back of middle seats, and that's all. About 16- 17 mpg on road, no oil use, comfort, and hauls a TON!! We deal in Antiques, and recently bought 6 pieces of furniture at an auction and loaded them all in it, plus our own luggage. Not quite enough power when pulling our travel trailer to suit me, and gas mileage drops to 8. Super versatile SUV. When it's gone there'll be another in it's place.

NICE
By Johnny on 04/23/09 17:36 PM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Suburban SUV C2500 4dr SUV

This is my father in laws but I use it all the time. We have the big 454 engine. I love it. We tow our travel trailer and this truck has almost 160K miles on it. I love everything about it except for the placement of the vents in the center. They are in a very bad spot and if you use the cup holder, they are worthless. Very strange place and you cannot turn them in far enough. Anyone that owns one knows what I mean. but that is small compared to everything else. Of course the fuel economy is not good, but what do you expect for a 454.

Not again!
By cassiopia on 04/12/09 10:23 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Suburban SUV K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

Comfortable on long trips, adequate power. Electronic brain replace within two weeks as was steering wheel. Headliner had holes in it at the same time and was not replaced. I have put in 4 fuel pumps, 3 alternators, 1 starter motor. the 4 wheel drive went in 80,000 miles and the head gaskets in under 100,000 miles not replaced under warranty, even though I paid $1000.00 for an extended warranty it wasn't honored. Plastic parts are dropping apart. Window and internal door switches have all failed. Build quality was very poor for such an expensive vehicle. Customer service from the mfg was pathetic. GM could take a leaf from Toyota who is still fixing my 17 year old 4runner under warranty.

Awesome Burb 4X4
By Awesome on 08/27/08 15:40 PM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Suburban SUV K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought in 2005 with only 16k miles and now have 108k. With a set of Rancho shocks, K&N air intake system and Amsoil synthetic oil thru-out, it just purrs along and looks great on 18" wheels with just a 2" lift. I fear they will quit making gasoline before she quits running. I bought it for the same reason most buy the Suburban. It's so sad to know that before long, we won't have the choice of a Suburban and all the trips and family excitement that they bring. How are we to carry the whole family and all the equipment and the bass boat when all that's left is Greyhound or the MTA?

Nice ride, expensive to maintain
By sharpe_012001 on 09/29/06 21:32 PM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Suburban SUV K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

If you buy a '96 Suburban, you won't want anything else. However, it is extremely expensive. First, you might get 14 mpg. Have you ever used a gas card and had to use it twice at the same fillup (42 gal tank, Gas card stops at $75.) Next, prepare to spend a minimum of $2000/yr. I did the research here and bought it anyway. Have had to replace brakes, master cylinder, booster fuel pump, timing belt tensioner, alternator, and can't remember what else. A minimum of $400 whenever you take it in to the shop. However, can't seem to let it go.