Used 1994 Chevrolet Suburban Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1994 Chevrolet Suburban - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Suburban model:

1994 Suburban 2 wheel
By aloanagain

1994 Chevrolet Suburban C1500 4dr SUV

I bought the car in 1999 with 49,000 miles on it. Now in 2009 it has 170,000. It is the best car. It is so reliable and strong. I have hauled everything over the years and if it does not fit in the back then it goes on top: from a 14 foot Christmas tree to 15 foot metal cattle panels to stoves, dishwashers, dining room furniture in the boxes etc. The engine leaks not a drop of oil, I can't believe it. But radiator fluid leaks on the top of the engine but I lived with that for 70,000 miles. It is such a good car. Now I have teenagers driving it a few miles to school and college. I am looking at the cash for clunkers program and the added Texas program. Hum...keep up with the Jones or not...

Cargo space, roof space for hauling, solid feel when driving, versatility, engine is flawless, transmission was replaced under warranty at 36K but now at 170K is perfect.

It is old, worth only $2500 and a 15 year old model. What can you do today to improve it? OK, miles per gallon is low. Interior will wear out after 15 years.

Loved my Sub!
By SUBMOM

1994 Chevrolet Suburban K2500 4dr SUV 4WD

This was a great ride. It was diesel and we got 24 HWY, 20 city. We did get rid of it after it got well over 2000,000 miles. The underneath was needing a lot of new parts replaced. Now after buying a gas 1999 Sub, I wish we would have fixed our old one. Besides great gas mileage, and power, it looked great. We did have to replace the brakes, and we had fuel and air problems at first, but once we figured them out, it was a great experience. There is more room in a 3/4 ton than in a 1/2 ton. The 94 is built much better also.

Everything!

Better brakes, a GM problem with all.

Best vehicle built
By Olson_2009

1994 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

These vehicles are awesome. I have no troubles in mud or snow, everyone calls me when they get stuck to pull them out. My Suburban has enough weight to get get traction better than any truck. The only drawback is gas mileage. You can haul many people around.

Fun to drive

Gas mileage

Many new parts, still runs strong
By byrofree

1994 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought in 1999 with 100k. I replaced transmission at 125k and a year later the transfer case went out and threw metal into the transmission. I had to buy another tranny and a new transfer case. Replaced water pump, belt, hoses, radiator, AC blower, brakes, rotors. The paint is flaking as I keep it outside. Recovered front seat cushions with leatherette. Previous owner put a Jacobs hot ignition in it, K&N filter and flowmaster exhaust with 3" pipe and adds a lot of pep. He said sluggish before also helped with gas mileage 17 on hwy. Has 32" tires on a 3" body lift. Never had a drop of trouble with engine. I am about to change starter as solenoid going bad.

Roomy. Low 4wd will pull a house. My 32" tires and 3" lift help it go anywhere. Reliable engine, big gas tank for long range driving. Cheap parts readily available. Good handling, braking and comfortable seats. Big payload, removable back seat, split fold second seat.

Paint needs to be bonded to primer better as it is flaking away.

Looking, But Nothing Comes Close. Love It
By SiasSr

1994 Chevrolet Suburban C1500 4dr SUV

Every now and then I get the urge to buy something smaller, more fuel efficient, and newer, but then I read all the horror stories about crappy engines, failed transmissions and nightmare dealer service and I thank God for my Suburban. I've had this truck since 03/2001, and it has been nothing but awesome. I have fixed a couple of leaks, the door hinges, replaced radiator, and replaced the water pump in nearly 6 years. Reliable, strong, and comfortable are trademarks of this truck. MPG isn't great, but who buys a Suburban for MPG. Drop your foot and hold on. You can't kill this truck. I love it.

The power, the room, and the quality

Side curtain airbags (couldn't think of anything else)