2006 Chevrolet SSR Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Chevrolet Ssr - Consumer Reviews

2006 SSR Consumer Reviews

Base 6.0L V8 4-speed Automatic 4.1 ft. Bed - (12 reviews )

Sort Reviews by

Final Production Run - 6 Speed - SSR
By KenOfAZ

2006 Chevrolet SSR 2dr Regular Cab Convertible SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

This red hotrod turns heads. I am always getting compliments on it. The six speed manual shifts very smooth with 5th & 6th gear both overdrives. It takes a lot of revs to get this heavy truck off the line with the 3.73 axle ratio. It needs a lower first gear, or lower rear axle ratio. Gets about 20 MPG at freeway speeds in 6th gear. About 13 MPG in the city. The 400 HP LS2 6 liter engine has great power, but has a lot of weight to pull. So it is pretty quick, almost as fast as my old 345 HP 1998 LS1 Corvette. The truck handles great for a truck, but nothing like a true sports car. It is a lot easier to get in and out of than a Corvette. A future classic.

Favorite Features

The retractible hard top is to die for. The exhaust note sounds great. The in-dash 6 disc Bose CD sounds great and has steering wheel controls. The 6 speed manual shifts smooth. The never ending compliments are nice. With 11,000 miles I have had zero problems with it.

Suggested Improvements

This vehicle comes without a spare tire, it should have one standard equipment. There is an aftermarket kit that mounts a spare under the rear, but it is expensive. Battery is under the truck. Cup holders are poor. Poor storage areas. Replacement parts are hard to find.

2006 Chevrolet SSR
By John Scudiero

2006 Chevrolet SSR 2dr Regular Cab Convertible SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I have had no problems with my SSR 10 months owned. The SSR is very stylish, peppy, and fun to drive. Mine is yellow and very easy to clean. I can wash, dry and complete the entire interior in about 1-1/2 hrs. The cost of new tires is not as expensive as most think. There are so many gadgets and settings that I have yet to get the full use out of the electronic features, and must spend more time to understand full use. I refuse to put a front license plate on the SSR, as it takes away from the look, even though it's law here in IL. Replacement parts are not readily available, as I have been waiting for a chrome seat ring since purchase. I worry about parts replacement, if an accident occurs.

Favorite Features

Oil monitor, hard top convertable, pep, comfort, handling, the total package.

Suggested Improvements

Light in cargo area, Chrome valve stems, radio on/off in steering wheel controls, larger glove box, touchup paint, replace temp. gage with something else, as digital display has same feature.

2006 SSR
By Tom James

2006 Chevrolet SSR 2dr Regular Cab Convertible SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

Great drive. Like it much better that our 2005 BMW M-3 convertible. Handles great, holds the road like it's glued on even in heaq\vy Florida rains. Got rid of M-3 now looking for 2nd SSR!

Favorite Features

Power. Ride. Convertible

Suggested Improvements

Better cup holders

Sweet street rod
By Beach potato

2006 Chevrolet SSR 2dr Regular Cab Convertible SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

Lots of smiling driving in Fla. with the top down. The exhaust is throaty and has a neat gurgle. Fast as I need. Only problem is Goodyear quit making the tire and the wheel and it won't accept a lot of other makes due to profile. Aqua Blur paint job gets a lot of compliments.

Favorite Features

No back seat, but the "trunk" will hold 4 sets of golf clubs, a cooler and grocery bags galore.

Suggested Improvements

Needs a spare tire! And another tire manufactor to supply owners with a tire that fits correctly.

She's So Sweet
By Patricia Perry

2006 Chevrolet SSR 2dr Regular Cab Convertible SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I've only had my little red roadster for a few days but I'm totally entranced by her. She purrs like a kitten and gallops like a thoroughbred.

Favorite Features

A tie between the push button retractable lid and the roar and rumble of the V-8 under the hood.

Suggested Improvements

None

SSR with Chrome package and wood trim
By lucky

2006 Chevrolet SSR 2dr Regular Cab Convertible SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

One week after I bought it, I took my teenage daughter and headed up to Georgia and South Carolina . The luggage space was excellent and as my daughter put it there was extra space to put the stuff we buy . That was both good and bad if you get my drift.

Favorite Features

The seat can be positioned to great comfort for almost any driver. The vehicle is quiet with the top up and in the rain . Of course, the best part is with the top down, either way we turned a lot of heads and I think I heard a few necks snap. Also, we sure made a lot of friendly people.

Suggested Improvements

Add OnStar and navigation. Perhaps a hideaway lift type, storage compartment at the bed or not. I really love this car the way it is.

What a ute!
By The Beast

2006 Chevrolet SSR 2dr Regular Cab Convertible SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

This baby hauls. Now just get over it's somewhat goofy looks and listen. I have had this a few months now, no rattles, easy and quick top, plenty of cargo room, sport car ride with an average of 18mpg city and 26 hgwy so far. This one is very fast and is a clever useful car at the same time. Chevy, killer job!

Favorite Features

Convertible top. Believe it or not the MPG, storage space. Very fast!

Suggested Improvements

Probably a little narrower nose, leather seats are a little bit too hard, and that's about it. The hp is fine on it.

Awsome retro ride
By Thomas

2006 Chevrolet SSR 2dr Regular Cab Convertible SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

See one, want one, buy one. This little truck has a few rattles, but is a lot more comfortable than my S2000, and gets more attention. The gas mileage stinks, but the tank is big, and you don't buy this type of rocket if you're trying to save a few bucks on gas. My other vehicles are not hybrids either.

Favorite Features

Huge acceleration considering the car weighs 3 tons.

Suggested Improvements

Tighter build.

4 Broken Driveshafts 2 rear ends
By BROKENALLTHETIME

2006 Chevrolet SSR 2dr Regular Cab Convertible SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

The truck is a blast to drive. However mine has had 4 driveshafts and numerous amounts of rear end problems. Transmission slips and rear end knocks and leaks fluid. Not what I expected for a $45+ truck. Motor is solid and fun to drive but rear ends and drive shaft cant handle extra output

Favorite Features

Retractable hard top, and oh so sweet Vette motor

Suggested Improvements

Beef up the rear end, put carbon fiber or better aluminum driveshaft from factory

Fun Ride
By imHarley

2006 Chevrolet SSR 2dr Regular Cab Convertible SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

This Little pickup is just as cool as my Chevy 1948 pro-street rod. I have owned a 2004 Vette and this truck feels better in the turns. It's just a blast to drive on winding roads. And the way it seems like GM put it together, upgrades should be a snap ( ram-air )

Favorite Features

All of it! Great taking off the line, but from a rolling 60 mph start other high output cars walk away from it. But for a 5000 pound truck to beat an LT1 and a LS1 in a 1/4 mile is so cool

Suggested Improvements

I dont know if improvements are really needed. The cab is just the right fit, no extra room. The seat controls can't be seen unless door is open, but if you drive it enough, you can feel what you're doing. Speed shut off at 126 mph