Used 2005 Chevrolet SSR Regular Cab Consumer Reviews - 32 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Chevrolet SSR Regular Cab - Consumer Reviews

2005 Chevrolet SSR Regular Cab

LS 6.0L V8 4-speed Automatic 4.1 ft. Bed - (32 reviews )

Rad Retro
By HUN

2005 Chevrolet SSR Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Convertible LS Rwd SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

An attention getter wherever I go. The retro styling with the up to date performance package are a sweet combo. The utility of a pickup bed albiet small and convertible top just add to the sweetness. My teens are always after me for the keys. Chevrolet was on the right track with this idea however it is probably a little too rad for the people who can afford one. End of production in '06 will only serve to vault this vehicle into collector status. Well done Chevrolet.

Engine transmission suspension upscale interior with no cheap stuff.

A flip up (rumble) seat in the truck bed for those occasional extra passengers

Mark's Black Magic
By Mark Steed

I had no intention on buying the SSR but once I test drove it, I was hooked! My former hot rod was a 67 Chevelle SS. It doesn't have the pull of the 396, but it's just as quick in the 1/8th & it's a little more fun actually with its handling. You must pay attention in turns & parking due to the pontoon fenders. It's quite the head turner & have had nothing but bad things said about it cause let's face it...Its phat! Paint & finish could be a lot better quality. It looks good with & w/o the running boards, but for $1600.00 they look good on mine. Extras are outragous, but comes w/the territory. The top's compartment bonnet rattles a little when it's windy & when my speed is up. All in all it's my heartskip in America

The cross between the '57 Ford hardtop convertible (first of its kind), the style of grandpa's '53 Chevy p/up and the performance of the lavish Corvette. These combinations make this p/up a rare and unique item that carries the SSR to be an outstanding vehicle and true modern day collectors item.

Better paint & finish, stronger tranny, driveshaft & rear assembly. Heavier cylinders to hold down top's compartment bonnet more securely. And more reasonably priced extra's. Afterall the inital purchase is substansual. Also to have the OnStar feature at least offered as an option (wasn't in '05).

SSr first month of ownership
By Alyce

Gas is what I figured, not good but not awful considering you have 390 horses moving 4700 pounds of weight. Actual gas mileage is 15 city and 19 highway. There are a lot of vehicles on the road getting worse. The ride, well that's in the rider, for me it is a dream to drive top down or up. There are a few down sides, when the top is up there are more than the usual creaks and noises, top down needless to say, its a cruiser like you have never driven. To stop the wind blowing your hair all over be sure to buy the windbreak option, well worth the price. Yes its a bit pricy, which in this person's opinion was part of the poor sales, the other was, its not really a truck , is it?

Alas, Chevy has stopped making this vehicle, too bad too. There are many things that would improve the vehicle over time. Like the Prowler, the SSR will be a thing of the past. 30 years from now everone will pay big bucks at the Barrett/ Jackson auction

My Dream Truck!
By Fred Austin

I own a '05 Chevy SSR and it's been just perfect. I live in Salt Lake City and some members of my family are English teachers in the Mexican city of Guadalajara and I decided to visit them last September in that city. So me and one of my daughters went down there in the SSR. It behaved just excellent, as I expected, even though gas mileage was the worst part (what can I expect from a sports truck) of the trip, everything else was awesome. The truck handles very well on the Mexican roads and curves, it does everything well and also you can have some heads turning to see the truck passing by. I've had such a beautiful experience. I’m in love with my SSR!

Exterior design, hard top, pick-up truck convertible. I love the huge trunk for such small cabin.

More leg room (I’m 6'3) and more space on both sides of both seats as well.

Great Sportster
By Dennis

I got mine in silver with all options. Has been simply great--the towing is great for a tandem waverunner combo. Wish it were quicker off the line. The weight plays a part--more power always a plus. Can't see what else would give me as much fun towing two waverunners down a two-lane road on the way to a lake!

The retractable hardtop. Have demo'd it at least a dozen times for gawkers.

Quicker off the line.