2005 Chevrolet SSR LS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Chevrolet Ssr - Consumer Reviews

2005 SSR Consumer Reviews

LS 6.0L V8 4-speed Automatic 4.1 ft. Bed - (31 reviews )

Sort Reviews by

The coolest car ever .
By shams

2005 Chevrolet SSR 2dr Regular Cab Convertible LS Rwd SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I have driven almost every exotic car being in the car business for many years, there is none as fun and as cool as the six speed SSR i bought from Freehold Pontiac. GM made the mistake of introducing the SSR with a weak engine initially, what a mistake! that is why this magnificent did not do well, they should remake the car with some upgrades and a 600 HP engine. and you will see that it will outsell any convertible sport car out there, this work of art turns more heads than Ferrari and Lambo. It is such fun to drive that when you get home , you feel like going out again for another ride, now that is cool, how many other cars can you say that for? I hope GM is reading our comments.

Favorite Features

The original idea of the designer of this car, which by the way deserves gold medal. the look, comfort, the attention, the whole package, just love it , my 911 is sitting in the garage ever since i bought the 2005 SSR.

Suggested Improvements

Re introduce this vehicle again, 600 HP motor, SPARE TIRE, interior storage, better sound system/with Nav, power cargo cover. I hope GM does not discard this icon, it could be a money maker for GM if they play their cards right.

I had an SSR
By wayne

2005 Chevrolet SSR 2dr Regular Cab Convertible LS Rwd SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

Overheated numerous times, fan quit at 20k miles, transmission leak at 30k miles, electronics when out 3 times, broken inside door handles got stuck in car once when they broke. GM is just selling cheap parts, no electric fan should break down that many times in 25K miles.

Favorite Features

Convertible, nice driving.

Suggested Improvements

Put a $5 fan in it instead of the 50 cent OEM. GM quit telling me temp gage is at normal 1/2 way to hot. It don't run there when your driving at speed, only when you get into stop & go, and the fan never comes on.

Buyer beware
By Wendy

2005 Chevrolet SSR 2dr Regular Cab Convertible LS Rwd SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I have never owned a vehicle that spent as much time in the shop as this vehicle has. Yes, I love the power and the unique sporty look, but its all a facade. This vehicle has spent nearly 60 days in the shop for various problems and it has under 14K miles. GM did not manufacture sufficient replacement parts to fix these vehicles either. So be warned. So far, they had to replace my starter & ignition, both internal door releases, the water pump, and the latest is the headlights and other electircal and something with the center console. And the cupholders everyone seems to mention, mine broke too. This vehicle has been in the shop an average of every 2K miles. A 2 rating was generous!

Suggested Improvements

Maybe GM could actually give a darn about the vehicles after they leave the lot. No wonder people don't want to buy American anymore.

Silver Streak
By SilverStreak

2005 Chevrolet SSR 2dr Regular Cab Convertible LS Rwd SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

Biggest complaints: Road noise in the cabin. Also miss the temp/direction mirror like in my TrailBlazer LXT. My first sportcar and it's a head turner. Can be a nice docile little putt putt going to the grocery store, but stand on the pedal and you're rocking at 85 without a thought. Love the top, but I do have a paint wear spot on the passenger side.

Favorite Features

Roof. The deck release really freaks people when the deck raises and no one is near them.

Suggested Improvements

Mirror with temperature and direction. OnStar.

Rad Retro
By HUN

2005 Chevrolet SSR 2dr Regular Cab Convertible LS Rwd SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

An attention getter wherever I go. The retro styling with the up to date performance package are a sweet combo. The utility of a pickup bed albiet small and convertible top just add to the sweetness. My teens are always after me for the keys. Chevrolet was on the right track with this idea however it is probably a little too rad for the people who can afford one. End of production in '06 will only serve to vault this vehicle into collector status. Well done Chevrolet.

Favorite Features

Engine transmission suspension upscale interior with no cheap stuff.

Suggested Improvements

A flip up (rumble) seat in the truck bed for those occasional extra passengers

Mark's Black Magic
By Mark Steed

2005 Chevrolet SSR 2dr Regular Cab Convertible LS Rwd SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I had no intention on buying the SSR but once I test drove it, I was hooked! My former hot rod was a 67 Chevelle SS. It doesn't have the pull of the 396, but it's just as quick in the 1/8th & it's a little more fun actually with its handling. You must pay attention in turns & parking due to the pontoon fenders. It's quite the head turner & have had nothing but bad things said about it cause let's face it...Its phat! Paint & finish could be a lot better quality. It looks good with & w/o the running boards, but for $1600.00 they look good on mine. Extras are outragous, but comes w/the territory. The top's compartment bonnet rattles a little when it's windy & when my speed is up. All in all it's my heartskip in America

Favorite Features

The cross between the '57 Ford hardtop convertible (first of its kind), the style of grandpa's '53 Chevy p/up and the performance of the lavish Corvette. These combinations make this p/up a rare and unique item that carries the SSR to be an outstanding vehicle and true modern day collectors item.

Suggested Improvements

Better paint & finish, stronger tranny, driveshaft & rear assembly. Heavier cylinders to hold down top's compartment bonnet more securely. And more reasonably priced extra's. Afterall the inital purchase is substansual. Also to have the OnStar feature at least offered as an option (wasn't in '05).

SSr first month of ownership
By Alyce

2005 Chevrolet SSR 2dr Regular Cab Convertible LS Rwd SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

Gas is what I figured, not good but not awful considering you have 390 horses moving 4700 pounds of weight. Actual gas mileage is 15 city and 19 highway. There are a lot of vehicles on the road getting worse. The ride, well that's in the rider, for me it is a dream to drive top down or up. There are a few down sides, when the top is up there are more than the usual creaks and noises, top down needless to say, its a cruiser like you have never driven. To stop the wind blowing your hair all over be sure to buy the windbreak option, well worth the price. Yes its a bit pricy, which in this person's opinion was part of the poor sales, the other was, its not really a truck , is it?

Suggested Improvements

Alas, Chevy has stopped making this vehicle, too bad too. There are many things that would improve the vehicle over time. Like the Prowler, the SSR will be a thing of the past. 30 years from now everone will pay big bucks at the Barrett/ Jackson auction

My Dream Truck!
By Fred Austin

2005 Chevrolet SSR 2dr Regular Cab Convertible LS Rwd SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I own a '05 Chevy SSR and it's been just perfect. I live in Salt Lake City and some members of my family are English teachers in the Mexican city of Guadalajara and I decided to visit them last September in that city. So me and one of my daughters went down there in the SSR. It behaved just excellent, as I expected, even though gas mileage was the worst part (what can I expect from a sports truck) of the trip, everything else was awesome. The truck handles very well on the Mexican roads and curves, it does everything well and also you can have some heads turning to see the truck passing by. I've had such a beautiful experience. Iím in love with my SSR!

Favorite Features

Exterior design, hard top, pick-up truck convertible. I love the huge trunk for such small cabin.

Suggested Improvements

More leg room (Iím 6'3) and more space on both sides of both seats as well.

Great Sportster
By Dennis

2005 Chevrolet SSR 2dr Regular Cab Convertible LS Rwd SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I got mine in silver with all options. Has been simply great--the towing is great for a tandem waverunner combo. Wish it were quicker off the line. The weight plays a part--more power always a plus. Can't see what else would give me as much fun towing two waverunners down a two-lane road on the way to a lake!

Favorite Features

The retractable hardtop. Have demo'd it at least a dozen times for gawkers.

Suggested Improvements

Quicker off the line.

Dream car
By steve

2005 Chevrolet SSR 2dr Regular Cab Convertible LS Rwd SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

My wife spotted this at the dealership and told me that was out next car. Of course, I didn't want her to think I really wanted it but too late she was in love. The SSR drives and rides like a dream. The first very cold morning the driver side window was frozen abd I could not open the door. I had to go to passenger side and crawl accoss not to easy for a 6ft 240 lb guy. I have since placed some silicon lubricant in the rubber door seal, keep your fingers crossed. Would not change it for the world right now!!

Favorite Features

Power and good looks.

Suggested Improvements

More leg room, real cupholders