2004 Chevrolet SSR - Consumer Reviews

LS 5.3L V8 4-speed Automatic 4.1 ft. Bed - (58 reviews )
Shell's SSR 2004
By Shell'sSSR on 02/29/08 20:50 PM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet SSR 2dr Regular Cab Convertible LS Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased my 04 SSR on 7/30/04 brand new. I used to watch the commercial on TV where the yellow SSR would turn around and be the last vehicle to get on the new car carrier. My hairs would stand straight up on my arms! I never in my wildest dreams that I would ever own one. Well I do! And I am so glad to be a owner of an SSR. After almost 4 yrs. of having my SSR, it is like the day I bought it. I also own a 2000 Pontiac Trans Am Ram Air and 2007 Chevy Avalanche. I personally would never buy a foreign vehicle in my life. All I can say is the people who have bad things to say about the SSR are; jealous because they want one, can't get one, don,t have one! I love my SSR and the experience

My 2004 SSR
By hueyhusser on 02/13/08 14:59 PM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet SSR 2dr Regular Cab Convertible LS Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Great style. Great pick/up,I get 19mpg in town and 26 on hwy. Love truck and conv. style of driving machine. Have not had any problems what so ever.

No Spare
By Nanuke on 12/21/07 12:37 PM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet SSR 2dr Regular Cab Convertible LS Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I’ll just start by saying…I love my vehicle, and plan on having it till the day I die. It handles very well in the turns, but because of U.S. law, it has a governor to limit your top speed… bummer, but it will still get up and go. I have the 5.3 V8, and love the sound it makes when you romp on it. I also love the fact that it looks like nothing else on the road, and that people still stop and stare when I drive by…priceless.

Chevy SSR 2004
By S. NIELEN on 10/10/07 12:57 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet SSR 2dr Regular Cab Convertible LS Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Vehicle is equiped with 5.3 l /auto trans /seating is kind of tight on outboard sides for a big guy like me (250lbs)and hard to get hand to seat controls with door closed. It could have more acceleration which was addressed in 2005-2006 models with 6.0 400 h.p engine however I have driven all three models 5.3 w/auto and 6.0 w/auto feel near the same but 6.0 w/5- spd is a real rocketship. Braking and handling are excellent reminding me of a Corvette except for the seating position which is more upright. This is a sunny day car and its curb appeal is excellent

What a Thrill!
By SSR from NC on 05/14/07 14:09 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet SSR 2dr Regular Cab Convertible LS Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Purchased a 2004 SSR because I wanted a roadster. Was all set to get a used Mercedes SL500, when I saw this. I'm tall, 6'5, and the Mercedes was the only roadster with enough headroom etc for me. The SSR has 40" of headroom! Kinda tight interior quarters but overall far more fun, style, and room for cargo etc than the benz plus no hardtop/softop but a retractable steel hardtop, the ultimate! Build quality surprized me as to how good it was and it is a blast to drive. Being a Benz driver I was also surprized at all the luxury goodies this SSR had, heated seats, lumbar, Bose high radio/CD, power everything etc. Outrageous styling, fun, and some practicality to for a roadster, I'm hooked!

Wow Factor
By Peter Nielsen on 03/01/07 10:15 AM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet SSR 2dr Regular Cab Convertible LS Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I have never owned a more fun vehicle to drive, the ride is great, handling is impressive, fuel economy is around 19 combined, and the WOW factor is incredible. I think I will keep this one for ever.

My 2004 SSR experience
By Gary on 01/13/07 07:42 AM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet SSR 2dr Regular Cab Convertible LS Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I have been driving vehicles for almost 40 years and this is the neatest, most exciting and fun vehicle I have ever had the pleasure to drive. It turns heads and gives a driving experience that no vehicle has ever given me.

SSR Super Stinky Roadster
By kajunteddy on 10/12/06 01:11 AM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet SSR 2dr Regular Cab Convertible LS Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

It looks real good sitting beside the road while you wait for the tow truck. It looks good in the dealership repair shop. It would even look good in your garage if you could get it from the dealer to your garage. This is the worst made GM product and least stood behind. Forget the three year/ 36 K mile roadside towing assistance,(Which you will need) because GM will not honor it. If you want a quality built $50K vehicle, buy foreign.

Like nothing else on the road
By dogd923 on 03/13/06 05:16 AM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet SSR 2dr Regular Cab Convertible LS Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Got my dream vehicle this January-a yellow SSR. Always wanted one, but the expense (they ARE pricey) was holding me back. A local dealer found me an '04 SSR with 900 miles. Low mileage ones are available-since these are NOT daily drivers. New ones go for 50k, but mine was a little over half that. True,mine has the 5.3 v8-the new ones have the 6 litre Corvette motor, but they look identical, and my truck has no problem in the power department. The truck gets lots of attention,from its 'old school" looks, bright paint, and the throaty growl of the V8-if you don't want to attract a lot of attention-don't buy one of these-gets smiles, and thumbs up everywhere I take it.

Loving my SSR
By james mayo on 02/20/06 20:03 PM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet SSR 2dr Regular Cab Convertible LS Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I love to let the top down and take my wife for sunset cruises. My SSR is yellow. It is so beautiful against the sunset. It also gets a lot of looks and comments from other motorists. I let my best friend drive it. He loved it so much that he bought one. I will keep my SSR till I die.