Used 2004 Chevrolet SSR Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Chevrolet Ssr - Consumer Reviews

2004 Chevrolet SSR

LS 5.3L V8 4-speed Automatic 4.1 ft. Bed - (58 reviews )

Last of the Great Sport Cars
By Sergeant39

2004 Chevrolet SSR 2dr Regular Cab Convertible LS Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Purchased my SSR in September 2008, after seeing it at the Dealers, and just had to have it. Have seen them in the past, and thought they were just the kind of vehicle I needed to have. Traded in a 2004 Mini Cooper, same yellow in color, but not a color person. It was just what was available. This SSR does everything asked of it. Comfortable in long drives as well as down the street. Always attracts looks of envy, jealousy, or whatever. There are only 2 others in the whole county, so I know it still attracts attention. Don't plan on ever getting rid of it and even have it mentioned in my will as to who gets it.

Favorite Features

The body style, the room it has even though it does not look like it has much room. Very comfortable to drive. Hard to service.

Suggested Improvements

Make the Battery easier to service, charge and replace. Make parts more available and cheaper. One wheel is $863.00

paid for finally
By graveygrabber

2004 Chevrolet SSR 2dr Regular Cab Convertible LS Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I bought it new and still love it! People still ask what kind of car is that? do you believe its 6 years old, and they want to know how much it is ."they don't make them any more. Why not?" "$52 grand when it was new, thats why!"

Favorite Features

convertible,roadster,good looks

Suggested Improvements

too much vibration in front from big tires

A roadster to remember
By MATTS04SSR

2004 Chevrolet SSR 2dr Regular Cab Convertible LS Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I have owned all types of car and trucks. In fact I have a 64' Chevelle, the SSR is the best. I drive it as a daily driver, mine is an 04' purple. I get some looks that is for sure, not so good in the snow but, it is still fast and fun.

Favorite Features

The styling it reminds me of a old truck, the cool thing is that I will be able to bring it to old car shows, like I used to bring my Chevelle because they are that popular.

Suggested Improvements

My door handle broke after 2 months, this is something that they should have thought that would be something to improve on

Pumped
By kcwlaf

2004 Chevrolet SSR 2dr Regular Cab Convertible LS Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I bought my 04 in Dec 07. I have always wanted one but couldn't justify the price. Well the price was right and I got my new toy. It is my company vehicle and my daily driver. Makes me feel like a young man again. Top down is incredible and a great attention getter (nearly causes many fender benders) I had a vinyl wrap put on with my company logo and I tell you it is the cheapest and greatest advertising you can get. We put woodgrain accents above the fenders and on the gate. This baby looks like a true 40's roadster. I've owned over thirty vehicles in my life but this one has got to stay. My future grandchildren will have the opportunity to drive this one. Thanks GM!

Favorite Features

Retractible top and incredible throttle sound

Suggested Improvements

More room for seat controls, eliminate cavitating, offer more wheel tire combinations

Sturdy vehicle with performance.
By Lotis 61

2004 Chevrolet SSR 2dr Regular Cab Convertible LS Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I've owned 5 Camaros in the past and this is the only vehicle I've ever test driven and now owed that came anywhere close to the performance I was looking for. I test drove a lot of trucks and cars and the SSR was the only one that I liked that had the sound and motion to go with it. It's very comfortable and not too low to the ground like my Iroc. Great handling and love the little extras that came with it. Handling and speed are my most concerns. The convertible top is awesome on summer nights and days. It has been a very reliable.

Favorite Features

Power, handling, comfort, heated leather seets, easy knob controls, great head lights/ fog and has the best braking system I've ever seen in any vehicle. Handles the road really nice! The convertible is really nice on warmer days and nights and it easy to use.

Suggested Improvements

Back up mirror?