I remember it fondly.
By boyracer3 on
2003 Chevrolet SSR 2dr Regular Cab Convertible LS Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)
I am not usually not sentimental when it comes to automobiles. I generally long for something every 6-30 months. And though I only owned it for a year I still smile whenever I see one...I was living in SoCal and only recall having the top up twice. I really loved that truck. It was a little short on legroom and was a little tight with the top up but it made up for it with a joyful temperament. It had a wonderful exhaust note and when the top was down it felt more like a wake boat than a truck. It was nimble and a blast to drive. The designers did a great job,it was seamless from inside to outside. You'd almost expect to find a repurposed Pontiac sun fire interior in it but no! Cont...
Favorite Features
The top, the rear deck lid, the cargo cover,& the way they formed a continuous expanse of bright red paint. It was a joy to peer out the rear view mirror of that car. I could never resist revving the engine a little as I coasted though parking structures. It would always set off the alarms. Childish, I know, but it rekindled the joys of childhood when you drove it. It was surprisingly comfortable when it was frigid outside due to the hottest heater and seat warmers ever. I always enjoyed being approached by people in parking lots, asking questions about it. It was also nearly impossible to ding. The wheel wells were so pronounced that no one would get close enough to them to hit the doors.
Suggested Improvements
Little leg room for 6 footers. The bed was designed to hold two golf bags and little else. Skin cancer becomes a valid concern if you live in it like I did. No fun in the blistering heat, no fun when it's raining. Having the top up dramatically changes the driving experience. My wife hated convertibles and found the SSR beneath her station as an executive. I never got to drive it when we were together. And eventually grew weary of the jeers from her coworkers. I drove it 40K+ miles with no problems, period. Had 80k on it when I sold it. I've missed it ever since.