Used 2003 Chevrolet SSR LS Regular Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Chevrolet SSR Regular Cab - Consumer Reviews

LS 5.3L V8 4-speed Automatic 4.1 ft. Bed - (11 reviews )

I remember it fondly.
By boyracer3

2003 Chevrolet SSR Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Convertible LS Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I am not usually not sentimental when it comes to automobiles. I generally long for something every 6-30 months. And though I only owned it for a year I still smile whenever I see one...I was living in SoCal and only recall having the top up twice. I really loved that truck. It was a little short on legroom and was a little tight with the top up but it made up for it with a joyful temperament. It had a wonderful exhaust note and when the top was down it felt more like a wake boat than a truck. It was nimble and a blast to drive. The designers did a great job,it was seamless from inside to outside. You'd almost expect to find a repurposed Pontiac sun fire interior in it but no! Cont...

The top, the rear deck lid, the cargo cover,& the way they formed a continuous expanse of bright red paint. It was a joy to peer out the rear view mirror of that car. I could never resist revving the engine a little as I coasted though parking structures. It would always set off the alarms. Childish, I know, but it rekindled the joys of childhood when you drove it. It was surprisingly comfortable when it was frigid outside due to the hottest heater and seat warmers ever. I always enjoyed being approached by people in parking lots, asking questions about it. It was also nearly impossible to ding. The wheel wells were so pronounced that no one would get close enough to them to hit the doors.

Little leg room for 6 footers. The bed was designed to hold two golf bags and little else. Skin cancer becomes a valid concern if you live in it like I did. No fun in the blistering heat, no fun when it's raining. Having the top up dramatically changes the driving experience. My wife hated convertibles and found the SSR beneath her station as an executive. I never got to drive it when we were together. And eventually grew weary of the jeers from her coworkers. I drove it 40K+ miles with no problems, period. Had 80k on it when I sold it. I've missed it ever since.

SSR is ultimate convertible
By 28NGR8

The SSR is the ultimate convertible due to the fact of the one button automatic convertible hard top, the very, very spacious trunk, and it is so comfortable when exiting the vehicle. Unlike, the other convertibles that you have to lift yourself out of the car, the SSR is high enough that you just turn and get out. The body such as the fenders are solid steel, not fiberglass. That gives me a sense of safety if a collision were to take place. So much to say about this car/truck I love it. It is a real head turner!

See above

A solid cup holder would be nice. The SSR has two removeable cup holders that can be cumbersome.

SSR fun
By SSR FUN

I first saw the concept car in a newspaper write-up in early 2002. After attending 3 car shows across the US, I knew I wanted one. I ordered Yellow. Took delivery in November 2003 and have been loving the truck ever since. Folks around still ask questions about it as there are not too many on the road. A certain kick to drive and be seen in!

Love the power and roof

Should have found room for a spare tire. I don't trust the pump and patch kit. I do carry a full size spare now.

MY LAST TRUCK
By ALLLEN BROWN

I'VE DRIVEN A TRUCK FOR 40 YEARS AND THIS IS THE MOST EXCITING AND SHARPEST AND ATTENTION GETTING TRUCK EVER. I'VE HAD PEOPLE TAKE PICTURES, FOLLOW ME HOME AND ASK ME TO SHOW THEM HOW EVERY THING WORKS. I LOVE IT.

RETRACTABLE HARD TOP, STYLING, AND BOX OR TRUNK WHAT EVER YOU WANT TO CALL IT

PUT A LITTLE MORE ROOM BY DRIVER SIDE DOOR SO YOU CAN GET TO SEAT BUTTONS EASIER

SSR Not for the shy person
By rhobbel

This truck is by far way ahead of its time. Like the PT Cruiser by Chrysler it has a nostalgic look about it. Reminds me of what a concept vehicle of the 50's would look like. Only they would have never been able to dream up that convertable hard top that stacks up and lays neatly between the seat and the bed of the truck. Turns heads everywhere it goes. If your shy don't buy this truck as every time you stop people want to talk to you about it

The convertable hard top is by far my favorite feature. No other vehicle has anything close to the futuristic design

The improvements that I would make to the SSR is to add more horse power. With the weight of the vehicle over 4700 lbs. in my opinion it should have a minimum of 350 hp. Also running boards should be standard. With out them you are sure to get a lot of stone chips on the rear fenders.