2015 Chevrolet Spark EV Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 7 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2015 Chevrolet Spark EV Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Spark EV model:

Most fun I've ever had with a car
By Rayburn Thomas

2015 Chevrolet Spark EV Hatchback 2LT 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

I leased my car 1 year ago and still love it. I've said for some time that my only regret is that I only got one of them. So, about a month ago I got 2 more, one for my wife and one for my daughter, and they both love them too. My only complaint is that it has too much power and you can get into trouble if you aren't careful. It rides okay for a small car, but not great like a long heavy car. The range is much more than I normally need (up to about 100 miles) and I do have a gas powered vehicle for longer trips, but it rarely gets used now. The cost of the electricity is about 2 cents per mile.

Little Dynamo!
By Omar

2015 Chevrolet Spark EV Hatchback 1LT 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

You can't beat the performance of this car for the price. Especially if you live in CA where you can get an extra $2500 rebate. I love the acceleration on this thing and the instant torque. I must say it encourages aggressive driving because you know you have the power on tap to pass others where you couldn't with your typical Corolla/Civic/Sentra.

The interior screams budget car, but it feels surprisingly spacious for the front passengers given its claustrophobic appearance from the outside. The car stands tall so it gives you the feeling of being in a small SUV. I like how it gives great forward visibility (rear visibility is pretty lousy though due to the large rear pillars and it's too bad it doesn't have a rear view camera).

A whole lot of fun!
By TJ

2015 Chevrolet Spark EV Hatchback 1LT 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

Just pick up our leased Spark 1LT EV for my daughter $119/39 mo lease absolutely zero down ....I think I pay more for our phones...
It's our first EV and we are loving it. We already stuck 5 people in it to see if it could handle the load, not bad at all. The price is outstanding for what you get and it's perfect for out situation, about 20 miles round trip per day. Nothing to shout about in terms of comfort compared to other vehicles but did I mentioned the price.... We have purchased new or nearly new vehicles in the past and tend to keep them for a long time. It was a surprise to find so much tech in this car compared to our existing vehicles (2000 & 2003). For us, it was purely a tech play on the lease, because I figure that the mileage will double in three years like it has in the past three years. So in three years if most of the EV's are pushing 200 miles than we might buy one and keep it for a longer time. In the mean time my kids get to start off their driving experience in a zero emissions car and hopefully will stay with EV's their whole life.

I loved my spark.....until
By T.C.

2015 Chevrolet Spark EV Hatchback 1LT 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

The car is great once you get the hang of managing the charge. I get about 80-90 miles per full charge. It is cute and zippy, pickup is fine, love parking the tiny thing, and like the Tardis it is bigger on the inside than on the outside. But don't take it to the drive in, just saying, I did and it is not quite up to the task.
The lease price was great and I also got a rebate which is way awesome. Driving in the HOV lane is great too. HOWEVER. Somehow after only 4 months a tire blew and now for 3 weeks I have been unable to get a replacement tire. Apparently the tires are very special, and the manufacturer hadn't planned on making any more, and they can't get any for 4 months, at least that is what the dealer says, which sounds crazy to me. I went online and bought a tire and am waiting for it to arrive. Thankfully I hadn't gotten rid of my gas guzzler! I also was offered a free home charger but since then, months ago, I haven't gotten it and no one responds to my emails.
Service departments of dealers don't know much about these cars and don't always want to. No one else knows anything at all. I hope this won't be a problem as the car ages. It's not a good deal if you can't use it!

The more I drive it...
By Bobbie

2015 Chevrolet Spark EV Hatchback 2LT 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

... the more I like electric vehicles. I am currently under a three-year lease for the Spark EV. I have had the vehicle for almost three months and I have been driving it everyday for the past 30 days. I live in California and the Spark EV allows me to use the carpool lane after I paid DMV $8 for the carpool lane stickers. It is a very economical vehicle to use. See below for more information:

The good-

It costs me less than $2 to fully charge the car. This gives me 82-87 miles range. I am saving around $3.50 a day by not driving my gasoline powered car. At the end of three years, I expect to save at least $2730 on gas alone.

The car is incredibly fast. The acceleration is very fast. The Sports Mode is awesome for merging into the highway at the on ramp. Most vehicles cannot keep up with me during the first three seconds of acceleration.

The carpool lane sticker is the best part! I am cutting a minimum of 30 minutes off commute time daily. This is priceless and I am spoiled.

The car gets even better range when you are stuck in stop and go traffic. It was costing me only $0.10 to travel 16 miles. Braking and coasting will recharge the battery. It is entirely possible to get more than 100 miles of driving range if you are in stop and go traffic.

The free On Star navigation is great! I use it all the time.

I love the great warranty and the free roadside assistance program from Chevy.

The car is tiny. This makes it very easy to park in a tight space. In big cities, this is invaluable.

I am getting a $2500 check from the CA government for using the EV. If I had bought the car, the fed will also let me take $7500 off my income tax.

I received a $500 charger credit from Bosch. I ended up only paying $30 for a $500 Bosch charger.

I love the ability to remotely turn on the AC after parking the car. What's the big deal? I would park my car, turn on the AC and go to the store. When I am done shopping, the car will be nice and cool waiting for me to drive. Keep in mind the engine is not running. A car thief cannot just break into the car and drive away.

Due to the heavy battery, the car has low center of gravity and it is very stable to drive this car.

No need to warm up the engine. Just drive.

No need to change oil. Pure electric.

Free first two years service included (rotate tires and fluid checks). Fluids for brake, windshield, and coolant.

Charging at a Direct Charging Station really charges a car to 80% in less than 20 minutes. The DC charging station puts out 125 amps! But it is not cheap to use it right now as gas is only $3 a gallon.

Now the bad-

The stereo system SUCKS!!! The sound quality is awful. I am not sure why Chevy chose to do it this way. It does not have a CD player. It says six speakers but I am only able to find four speakers.

The UI for the phone and stereo is awful. I wish I could use Siri to assist me.

Bluetooth connection is a bit slower than Toyota vehicles.

The rear seats are extremely uncomfortable. Even my kids complained about them and that's a first.

The rear cargo space is very limited. Best to fold the seats down for more space.

There is a blind spot in the rear passenger side. Must be careful for lane changing.

Long charging time. The standard charger which came with the vehicle at 8 amps takes 20 hours to fully charge the car. When I changed the charging setting to 12 amps, it took much less time. Having said that, my Bosch charger operating at 16 amps (220 V) typically charges 10 miles in an hour. In other words, it will take four hours to charge 40 miles with a 240V charger. 240 V chargers are strongly recommended. 110 V at 12 amps will also work.

The steering only goes up and down. It is not a telescopic steering wheel.

At 70 to 80 MPH, the car gets very noisy.

At 70 to 80 MPH, the battery drains much faster. Best mileage if the speed is less than 50 MPH (per manual).

The load capacity is limited. It is less than 650 lbs. Don't expect to fit four big people in the car.

Bottom line- this is a great commuter and easy on the wallet everyday car if you keep track of the travel distance needed. I have three other vehicles but I only drive this car in the carpool lane to work. Even without the carpool lane stickers, I would buy (not lease) my next electric vehicle. The Spark EV replacement is called Bolt and it is supposed to have a 200 mile driving range. Although the 2015 Spark EV has a limited driving range (less than 87 miles) and the stereo is just terrible, I love this car and I am thinking about leasing another Spark EV for my mother.