2014 Chevrolet Spark EV Consumer Review: Excellent commuter car upto 40

2014 Chevrolet Spark EV - Consumer Review

1LT 4dr Hatchback (0-cyl. Electric 1-speed Direct Drive)

Excellent commuter car upto 40 miles oneway
By disbeliever on

2014 Chevrolet Spark EV 1LT 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

I'm using this for 2 weeks now, to commute 20.13 miles each way. After driving 30 miles on freeway at 65-70 mph and then another 10 miles on expressways and 35-40 mph roads, I'm left with nearly 60 miles of range! The range is way better than the 82 miles they show. I'm only charging at my work, as it is free and more convenient. The car is updated with technology (as almost all new sub compacts are now-a-days), and comes with some leather + cloth combo seats. Includes tilt, cruise, on-star , hands free calling, and other amenities seen only in premium cars few years back. It is a pity GM doesn't advertize this car at all. Bought this after seriously considering Leaf and Volt.

The range is excellent for this price. The car gives better estimate of range using recent driving history. My range is now about 93 miles per charge, and I've not yet explored the eco-friendly mode. The pickup is superb, though it is advisable to not use sudden accelerations and braking to increase range.

The charging cord is only 15 ft long, and cord manual explicitly asks not to use extension cord with it. I park on driveway, as I believe many others do. So, after researching a bit on internet, I got a good quality (12 gauge, 25 ft) extension cord from Home Depot. Wish, the cord was 25 ft or so. There is a lower amperage charging option ( 8A vs. 12A) when charging with this cord. I believe, this suits well to charge with a good quality extension cord, in case someone really needs it.