Used 2014 Chevrolet Sonic Sedan Consumer Reviews - 13 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Chevrolet Sonic Sedan - Consumer Reviews

2014 Chevrolet Sonic Sedan

View reviews for a specific Sonic model:

2014 sonic Only have had the car for 8 months
By AL

2014 Chevrolet Sonic Sedan LTZ 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I bought this car with 20,000 miles under warrenty thank god! This car jerks really bad while it shifts and when you are trying to slow down in rush hour traffic in Atlanta. It has been to the dealership many many times. They tried fixing the problem by changing out the clutches, then a week later the transaxle fell out of place at a stop light, I was an hour away from home near my work. The car could not go anywhere. It just kept rolling backwards. I had to keep my foot on the brake. It wouldn't even work in park, it would still roll backwards. I had to put my emergency brake on and what for a cop to push my car out of the highway. I had to let my car coast all the way to a restaurant. Then get it towed to my dealer. They fixed my transaxle but it still jerks and feels like it's going to stall. I am in the middle of a legal settlement with GM.
Please don't buy this car

I LOVE THIS CAR!!!!
By MICHELLE KAHLIG

2014 Chevrolet Sonic Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a new Chevy Spark and had to take it in for service and was given the Sonic as a rental car to use while my Spark was being worked on. I loved the Sonic so much I went to the dealership the next day to look into buying one. I got the LT model in Dragon Green and it is truly the best car I ever owned. I get compliments on it daily and it is soooo fun to drive. Sadly I was recently rear ended and the 2015 Nissan Sentra that rear ended me was nearly a total loss, both airbags deployed in it and to spite all of that my Sonic proved that all of it safety ratings were exactly if not better than what the claimed. Everyone was so surprised that this little car was so tough but I knew I had chosen it wisely. The damages to my Sonic were under 3k and easily repairable. Oh and the gas mileage in this car is amazing just as good as what I got in the Spark. If you are looking for a sporty fun economical car that still has plenty of room to haul kids and stuff this is your car!

OK for what it is
By Coinneach

2014 Chevrolet Sonic Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have some pretty serious gripes about the Sonic, and I don't understand all the glowing reviews of it. The brakes are completely numb for the first inch of pedal travel, then grab all at once. Lift my foot off the accelerator and it maintains speed/revs for four seconds before returning to idle (yes, exactly four seconds - I count every time). The MyLink system sounds terrible, the BringGo nav app is useless, and it forgets what song it was playing on my thumb drive on the next startup. Rear visibility with the gigantic headrests is nonexistent. It gets worse mileage than the 2012 Cruze I traded it for, despite being smaller and lighter, and the average economy readout is 10% optimistic, telling me I'm getting 34 combined when miles divided by gallons comes out to 29.

On the other claw - I haven't had to bring it in to the dealer for endless recalls and TSBs like the Cruze, and the trunk is decently sized.

I'd say the Sonic is a decent car for someone who didn't grow up driving Detroit iron, and whose expectations are low. Not me, IOW.

I still love my 2014 Sonic after 10 months
By Aric Varney

2014 Chevrolet Sonic Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

OK I purchased my Sonic Dec 27,2014 new purchase price out the door with tax tags everything included $12,988 yes I was blowed away at this price I found the car online didn't even even have go in to dealer until I had sign the papers I didn't even test drive the car at this price, I signed and drived and still happy with my Purchase 10 months and 17,600 miles later, oh yeah GM throwed in $3,010 ending year clearance rebate get it at that price, I'm very impressed thank you Chevy.

2014 sonic- a/c and heat
By Linette Thesing

2014 Chevrolet Sonic Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I love my car for the most part. II purchased it June 2014. Right away I noticed that it felt like there was a vent open whenever I used the a/c. When I brought vehicle to dealership to put on license plates I mentioned it to them. They checked things over but couldn't find anything. I brought it back in a couple of more times that summer for same issue. They never could find anything wrong. The computer showed everything working correctly. Then it started to get cold (I live in mn). That's when I noticed the windows foggy up on the inside. Again,couldn't find anything wrong. The snow came and so did the ice on the windows...as I was driving with defroster on. I took pictures and sent to dealership. They finally were able to tell me that GM designed the car this way. They adjusted the vents and that did help a little. I keep a blanket in my car because one side of me (left side by window) freezes and the other side gets too hot. I don't even bother using the a/c as it just pulls hot air in.