2014 Chevrolet Sonic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonic model:
1.4 turbo LT auto sedan; a good buy, a few niggles
By shorebreeze on 12/10/14 17:38 PM (PST)

2014 Chevrolet Sonic LT 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

This review is for the 1.4 turbo LT sedan, which isn't offered as an option by Edmunds so I have flagged this in the title. Fun to drive; generally excellent design, one of the few really good touchscreen entertainment systems, excellent on safety, peppy if you get the turbo, a lot of space for the money, larger (but fortunately for parking no longer) than a standard subcompact and the sedan is actually well into the EPA compact category by volume, unusually quiet and smooth for the class. But a number of niggles; front seat comfort issues, awkward stock tuning of engine and transmission, unrefined rear suspension, and appalling stock tires except on the Dusk Edition.

Subpar.
By lvcas on 11/24/14 18:00 PM (PST)

2014 Chevrolet Sonic LT 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

The 201y Chevy Sonic is a good car. It's good on gas, relatively stylish, very dependable. However, it lacks the over 'luster' of a sub-compact car. The transmission is a joke. I'm sure it is set up for economy, but come on Chevy; you can do better than that. The engine lacks power...majorly. The overall interior quality is poor. The seats are awkwardly placed and hard to adjust; especially if you've never been in the car. The interior is covered in flimsy plastic and hardly any soft touch material. But the worst thing about the entire car is how loud it is. Every bit of road and wind noise enters the cabin. Even on smooth pavement, you would think that you are driving on gravel.

2014 1.4L Turbo 1LT
By tim87114 on 10/09/14 17:13 PM (PDT)

2014 Chevrolet Sonic RS 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

When I started looking for a commuter car, the sonic wasn't even on my radar. I read the mileage posts and the reviews. Well I happened onto this sonic at a dealer who somehow happened to have 2 of the only turbo 6 speed cars in the state. Yes, 1LT is the model, sedan 1.4L turbo with a 6spd. When I took it out on the freeway and hit 52mpg. I knew the turbo was the car to have. I commute 120 miles round trip each day. Solid 44.3mpg with premium gas at 80mph with A/C on. 52mpg at 50mph and A/C on. The 44.3mpg is normal in this car. 38-41 around town in stop and go traffic. Also I have over 10K on my car since july.

Best bang for buck!
By mbro77 on 09/30/14 07:53 AM (PDT)

2014 Chevrolet Sonic LT 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

This car offers a lot for the $. We shopped around for months. Looked at/considered 1. Ford Fiesta-not impressed by performance, very cramped interior, nice front end, but ugly in back, price not that great. 2. VW Golf- nice car over all but felt very bland/cheap on inside and was a bit bland to drive, and more expensive than our Sonic, but with less features. 3. Toyota Corolla- great new design, very bland and not many features for the price, not spacious interior.4. Hyundai Accent 5-door- we really liked this car, but it seemed very soft and conservative in comparison to Sonic. 5. Nissan Versa- it's advertised as the "cheapest" car in America, the aren't lying. It feels/looks

Limited Drive Time But Very Impressed
By ihanson on 09/04/14 07:51 AM (PDT)

2014 Chevrolet Sonic LT 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased a '14 LT Turbo Hatch 6-spd manual (option not shown) 7" MyLink, fog lights, upgraded rims and rearview camera with the upgraded red crystal color for $16.4k before taxes. While waiting for that vehicle to be delivered, I have been driving an LT sedan with the 1.8 auto and have still been impressed. I'm getting 40.4MPG according to the computer on my 46 mile round trip commute in warm temps. I even got to test out the airbags when a woman made an illegal turn in front of me and I hit her going 35 mph. Car performed great in the crash and the headlights were still even intact. I think it's going to be a safe car - very strong steel frame. I'm glad it was just a loaner!

Amazing value for the price paid
By kayemtee on 04/06/14 18:54 PM (PDT)

2014 Chevrolet Sonic LTZ 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I've only had the car for a few days so my enthusiasm may be subject to change. We just took delivery of a LTZ sedan with the 1.4 turbo and a six-speed manual transmission. I'm very impressed. Quite peppy in city driving. We just took a highway ride and ran at speeds up to 80 mph and averaged 39 mpg. Amazing! Very solid ride and quiet with little wind noise. Amazing amount of legroom and headroom for driver and front seat passenger. I'm six-two and had to move the seat up and had tons of headroom. I liked the look of the hatchback better but lower price and huge trunk made me pick ther sedan. We paid less than 18K; I can't think of any car out there to offer this value.

subcompact assembled in USA
By billmo on 02/22/14 08:15 AM (PST)

2014 Chevrolet Sonic LT 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I have one whale of buyers remorse. Seems it wont go away. Maybe Sonic needs to go. Transmission works when it wants to, fails to downshift into lower gear when its needed. The automobile has the worse value for a car with 12 thousand miles on it and new Michelin Pilot tires The roof has been painted, suspension parts have been replaced. Car runs ruff in neautral as well in drive idling, have rectified some of ruff idle I use 93 octane seems to help somewhat also synthetic oil has helped to. Gas mileage is just a couple of MPG than my 2000 Nissan Truck, and the truck you couldn't tell it was running. The Sonic idles like the 4 cylinders of 20 years ago. GM should be shot. Selling such junk

Great first car for our college graduate.
By culpykat on 01/22/14 06:33 AM (PST)

2014 Chevrolet Sonic LTZ 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

We were very fortunate to have over $4000 in GM card points that were allowed to be transferred to an immediate family member, so a Chevy or GM product was a definite choice. We looked at several models and the Sonic Sedan was the best choice based on price, safety, features and overall performance. She was able to get a lot of the bells and whistles and still keep the car within her price range.

2014 chevy sonic LS auto
By steven39 on 12/01/13 09:51 AM (PST)

2014 Chevrolet Sonic LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

For about the last amost 2 years I was driving a 2013 Hyundai elantra gls that I purchased in the summer of 2012.Recently my car was totaled in a accident and the insurance company didn't give me as much for the car as I had hoped so I searched for another car that would be cheap enough for me to purchase with the insurance funds without me having to put in to much of my own money which brought me to this 2014 chevy sonic.this base model sonic blows away my former elantra which was fully loaded.sonic is much better built,quieter,handles better,and is just simply a better built car and surprisingly has more interior room than elantra.All this for under 16 grand.excelent value...

The Chevrolet Sonic is the best in class subcompact family hauler
By jwfink on 09/24/13 18:08 PM (PDT)

2014 Chevrolet Sonic LTZ 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

Like compact cars, subcompact cars seem to have grown in size over the last 30 years. Luckily, driving one is no longer like driving a penalty box. Also, there’s plenty of choice: WRT the Honda Fit/Chevrolet Sonic it is similar to comparing an Accord and Camry. Both vehicles are winners. The Sonic is slightly smoother, roomier, more comfortable. The Fit is slightly more efficient, sprightly, and versatile.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2014 Chevrolet Sonic in VA is:

$177 per month*