Fun little car but not good in snow
By vernmuffin on
2013 Chevrolet Sonic RS 4dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6M)
I had been researching the Sonic extensively since its release and, after hearing my husband complain a lot about the lack of fuel economy of his Silverado 1500 pick-up (and receiving a $1000 private offer from Chevy) we decided to buy a 2013 RS this past February. We were planning to use the car for business travels that didn't require the truck, and short, run-about trips that didn't require a ton of cargo room or space for our 3 dogs. We thought by purchasing this vehicle, we could save mileage on our aging mini-van, as well as my husband's work truck (Silverado).
Favorite Features
Good stuff first... This car is very small but, as the reviews stated, on the inside, you usually feel like you are driving a much larger vehicle. The stick shift is fun, the RS trim is sporty, and living in MN, we LOVE the heated seats. Filling the tank on the Sonic can trigger the urge to break out in song and dance! My husband is tall and brawny and says he is more comfortable in the Sonic than in our Dodge Caravan. We have three kids, ranging in age from 3-10. The youngest uses a small booster seat in the middle and all three can fit comfortably across the back row. However, if more than one child needs a booster / car seat, I think two people in the back would be max.
Suggested Improvements
My biggest complaint about the Sonic is its poor performance in snow / slush / ice. The traction control helps but not much. Driving in inclement conditions reminds you just how small the car is, and I found it scary. In addition to being slippery and sluggish even on well-plowed roads (we live in town) the car sits so low to the ground that we could not see over the snowbanks to check for traffic. Therefore, the car sat in the garage until the snow melted in May. On a couple of occasions, the only way we could get up hill with some ice on it was to drive the car up in reverse. This is obviously not ideal. Think twice before you buy if you live anyplace that gets a lot of snow/ice.