2013 Chevrolet Sonic Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonic model:
little problems
By aw336 on 03/01/14 00:07 AM (PST)

2013 Chevrolet Sonic Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Ive had my sonic for almost a year. Ive had to have the radio replaced twice. People can barely hear me through the Bluetooth system (I have a Galaxy Note 3). The car idles weird now and theres a rubbing sound in the back end. This car feels very unstable on the highway and the dealer says there is nothing wrong with it. I went on vacation and someone smashed my passenger window open and the alarm DID NOT go off and GM says it will only go off if the door is opened. So far nothing major has went wrong and I'm hoping it stays this way. I will be trading out as soon as I can. I would not recommend this car to anyone.

Leaking water into interior
By chowjones on 10/27/13 12:03 PM (PDT)

2013 Chevrolet Sonic Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I have mixed feelings writing this review. Overall, I really like my 2013 Sonic LT hatchback. The interior is very roomy for a car in this class and I like the design. However, my car has developed a water leak on the passenger side. As of 10/27/13, my car has been at the dealer trying to correct the problem for two of the past three weeks. Postings on a Sonic forum have confirmed that this is happening to many people. There is a serious design flaw with this model. Equipped with the 1.4L turbo and no water leaks, this car would be nothing short of excellent.

Just bought an LT manual
By gino985 on 10/25/13 19:54 PM (PDT)

2013 Chevrolet Sonic Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Since it's so late in the year, I could only find a couple near me, and ended up with Crystal Red tintcoat, not my first choice, but I actually really like it. Shifting is incredibly easy, like butter, and the engine really does have some pep. Its also true that the car feels much bigger, it's hard to feel the speed, I've been afraid I will get a ticket because I've been speeding everywhere! Mileage is right on as reported, the first tank was exactly 30 mpg, mixed city and highway, and included a lot of idling at the dealership, so I'm hoping that number will go up. With all the great cash back offers right now, I highly recommend this car, great value for the cost.

2013 Sonic LT 1.4 Turbo
By n1rvna29 on 09/07/13 15:35 PM (PDT)

2013 Chevrolet Sonic Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

After deciding to keep my money local and also buy American.I decided on the Chevy Sonic after reading reviews and seeing TV commercials for the car advertising 40 mpg.Boy was this the biggest mistake I ever made in my life.The car has no take off power the transmission clunks and bangs into gear the radio comes on when ever it feels like it and when the brakes are applied the car shakes so bad you have to pull over to stop it from shaking. And that's the short list.The 40 mpg is BS mine struggles to get 32.No wonder GM had to take a bailout they couldn't build a decent car and they lie to the general public about MPG.Keep up the good work Japan you have no worries here.

I LOVE MY CAR!
By becktilda on 07/30/13 20:40 PM (PDT)

2013 Chevrolet Sonic Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

Words cannot adequately express how much I love my car! I had been driving the same vehicle for over 14 years. And I decided that enough was enough. It was time to get something different. And it was the best decision that I have made in a very long time!

Great First New Car Buying Experience!
By lrohlfs on 06/29/13 10:20 AM (PDT)

2013 Chevrolet Sonic Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

My parents worked with Andre before on the purchase of my dad's camero and had a wonderful experience the first time, which is why my mom chose to go back and have Andre sell us my new Chevy Sonic. I love the car! For the price, the options that come with it are unavailable at other places. This deal just seemed to fit what we were looking for perfectly!

Very good small car
By brian228 on 06/11/13 08:00 AM (PDT)

2013 Chevrolet Sonic Sedan LTZ 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

We have had our Sonic LTZ with 1.4L and automatic for just over 3 months now and have close to 8000 miles on it. So far no problems whatsoever. We are a retired couple (67 years old) and feel comfortable in this car. Gas mileage has been very good with 38.7 mpg reading on the car display and we also check it the old fashioned way and get similar results. It is a fairly quiet car depending on the road surfaces- some coarse pavement causing noticeable road noise but wind noise is low even on the interstate highway. Handling is good but as one or two reviewers mentioned potholes or certain road irregularities can cause some darting.

disappointed
By indyguy13 on 06/09/13 20:29 PM (PDT)

2013 Chevrolet Sonic Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I bought a 2013 Sonic LS sedan in late Feb., 2013. 3,400 miles on it. The steering feels loose, especially at highway speeds. Wanders in the lane and you constantly have to correct. Took it back to Chev. dealers 3 times and they said nothing was wrong. I've owned/driven many small cars and never had this issue before. The heater takes a long time to warm up. No engine temperature gauge. Poor visibility. Rough ride. Idles rough. Must use synthetic oil (Dexos). Transmission not smooth. Very cheap, ugly upholstery. MyLink sound system but no CD player. Want to buy American? This has a Hungarian engine, Korean tires, and Chinese spare tire. Buy something else, not a Sonic.

Phonics
By musicmitch on 02/01/13 00:01 AM (PST)

2013 Chevrolet Sonic Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

The suspension is poor. It does not soak up bumps well, or handle potholes well, producing a very uncomfortable ride. Unless you are living in an area with beautifully paved streets and you drive on them all the time - this probably won't matter. And also suspension is designed poorly - unstable. The car jolts left and right when hitting rough pavement, making me wonder what happens if you're on the expressway going fast and you run into this. I think the car is accident prone. The 1.8 engine is noisy, lacks passing power, and wind/road noise is excessive. The 1.4Turbo option quiets the engine noise somewhat and increases torque, but does nothing about the excessive road noise caused by poor insulation. This car is built a little but like the old suv's. Thin and high, rather than long and wide. The center of gravity is too high and too narrow instead of being low and wide. Test drive one yourself and see if i'm right. On the plus, it's much better than the car it replaces - The Aveo. So if you liked that car, you'll love this one. Me, i'll skip it. Now also think about this: this same 1.8 engine is being used in the much heavier chevy cruz LS also. So do you think you should avoid that trim line? If you decide on the cruz, opt for a higher model with the 1.4 turbo, but it's also much more expensive.

Great car
By chall1011 on 11/18/12 20:16 PM (PST)

2013 Chevrolet Sonic Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

The best part is I can fit my convertible car seat, a infant car seat and still fit an adult in the back seat (traveled 150 miles like that today) The fuel seems good but i'm not sure, i went on a 2 hour drive today an back, an used almost 7 gallons of gas, i was pretty upset with that. Backing out of my drive way, whenever my tires go down the front of the car hits into the drive way, it does that on alot of people's out where I live... not much i can do about it, but they are really low to the ground. It's a great car , but we will see as the time goes on. Oh and the throttle is horrible!

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2013 Chevrolet Sonic Sedan in VA is:

$154 per month*