Used 2013 Chevrolet Sonic RS Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Chevrolet Sonic - Consumer Reviews

2013 Chevrolet Sonic Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Sonic model:

Sonic Hatch LT with 1.4L
By jaar819

2013 Chevrolet Sonic Hatchback RS 4dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I thought the overall design of both the interior and exterior of the Sonic was very tastefully done. I liked it better than other cars in its class but this is obviously a matter of taste. The 1.4L turbo engine is smooth and fun, 6 speaker sound system which seemed better to me than other cars in class, MyLink system, body of car seemed extremely stiff, much better than Mini Clubman, the last car i owned. I know this because my driveway has a bump which puts torsional stress on the car. the mini creaked. the sonic does not. very smooth ride on highway. very low rpm of engine at highway speeds. very quiet car for subcompact. the suspension system makes car feel more like a luxury car.

Favorite Features

- overall design of both the interior and exterior, the 1.4L turbo engine, 6 speaker sound system, MyLink, rigid body, very smooth ride on highway, low rpm of engine at highway speeds, very quiet car for subcompact. the suspension system makes car feel more like a luxury car.

Suggested Improvements

After 2 months of owning the car I have no complaints. you can tell that the overall design of the sonic was thought through very well. I find it ironic that GM and Ford have become the more innovative, interesting companies while Honda and Toyota the more conservative and main-stay. It terms of future improvements, my main suggestion would be to continue to improve engine technology. I was close to buying the Mazada 3 because of the innovative engine, but preferred the Sonic over-all.

2013 Chevy Sonic RS review
By viperaider

2013 Chevrolet Sonic Hatchback RS 4dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I spent several months looking into my next gas saver. Keep in mind; GAS SAVER. This car won me over with features versus SAVING money. I settled with a brand new RS out the door for $18,900 after negotiating.

Favorite Features

Heres a quick breakdown of likes. Likes...solid handling; high tech gadgets; RS badging; solid feeling controls (door handles, turning signals etc); engine is peppy to be so small; the mean appearance of the front end; the head room and overall large interior real estate.

Suggested Improvements

More than once, it grinds going into 2nd gear if you "try" enjoying the car. That is never a good thing. All of this taking place with less than 600 miles on it. Thankfully I have a 100,000 mile warranty and I am almost positive it will be used with this transmission. The radio is too far away to touch easily and the target buttons sometimes too small and I end up hitting things I do not want to. I find myself not sitting centered on the seat, they have a slightly odd feel which may correct itself when worn in.

Fun little car but not good in snow
By vernmuffin

2013 Chevrolet Sonic Hatchback RS 4dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I had been researching the Sonic extensively since its release and, after hearing my husband complain a lot about the lack of fuel economy of his Silverado 1500 pick-up (and receiving a $1000 private offer from Chevy) we decided to buy a 2013 RS this past February. We were planning to use the car for business travels that didn't require the truck, and short, run-about trips that didn't require a ton of cargo room or space for our 3 dogs. We thought by purchasing this vehicle, we could save mileage on our aging mini-van, as well as my husband's work truck (Silverado).

Favorite Features

Good stuff first... This car is very small but, as the reviews stated, on the inside, you usually feel like you are driving a much larger vehicle. The stick shift is fun, the RS trim is sporty, and living in MN, we LOVE the heated seats. Filling the tank on the Sonic can trigger the urge to break out in song and dance! My husband is tall and brawny and says he is more comfortable in the Sonic than in our Dodge Caravan. We have three kids, ranging in age from 3-10. The youngest uses a small booster seat in the middle and all three can fit comfortably across the back row. However, if more than one child needs a booster / car seat, I think two people in the back would be max.

Suggested Improvements

My biggest complaint about the Sonic is its poor performance in snow / slush / ice. The traction control helps but not much. Driving in inclement conditions reminds you just how small the car is, and I found it scary. In addition to being slippery and sluggish even on well-plowed roads (we live in town) the car sits so low to the ground that we could not see over the snowbanks to check for traffic. Therefore, the car sat in the garage until the snow melted in May. On a couple of occasions, the only way we could get up hill with some ice on it was to drive the car up in reverse. This is obviously not ideal. Think twice before you buy if you live anyplace that gets a lot of snow/ice.

RS Manual - fun drive, great value! Built in U.S.A!
By jlearn

2013 Chevrolet Sonic Hatchback RS 4dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

As a college student and an avid auto industry enthusiast, It was time for me to sell my old beast of an SUV and purchase my first NEW car. I was sorting through competitors such as the Mini Cooper S, Volkswagen GTI, Volkswagen Beetle, Fiat 500C, Hyundai Veloster Turbo. After adding up all the features I wanted in my next car purchase, and compared the competition, the answer was clear! For what I would be spending on a GTI or Mini I got a whole lot cheaper with the Sonic RS. Granted those vehicles are better performing, yes, but I'm a college guy on a limited budget, that wanted character, performance, and value! I love my Sonic RS. The 6-speed is a blast and sharp corners are my favorite!

Favorite Features

-Built in U.S.A -6 speed manual, especially on back roads. -Chevrolet's MyLink w/ smartphone connections -The leatherette and suede seat. -Sharp features that distinguish the RS from the more diminutive LS, LT, LTZ. -RS trimmings throughout cabin -Turbocharged engine -Unique fog-lights -Exhaust tip -iPhone - Siri can be used with steering wheel phone button to find restaurants, read directions, and send text messages. -Regular Unleaded with the Turbo engine! (unlike competition) -Sexy wheels -Thick & Flat bottom steering wheel -Warranty -Phenomenal dealer experience!

Suggested Improvements

Living in Northeast PA, weather is never on your side. I wish the RS and possibly LTZ models could come with an AWD option. Low profile tires are not suitable for NEPA snowstorms. The interior is sharp and extremely functional, but lacks character as seen in the VW bug and Mini cooper. For being a "top trim level" lots of hard plastics in the cabin. Would be nice to have a leather/suede dash to match the seats with red stitching. I hate how the Bluetooth connection is delayed after the car is started and also does not notify you when a text message is received, and also mutes notifications for texts. (I know it's a safety feature, it's just annoying.) More customization is needed.