Used 2013 Chevrolet Sonic Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Chevrolet Sonic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonic model:

Most Helpful|
Great, great choice for a small car
By mcland

2013 Chevrolet Sonic Hatchback LTZ 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

Have LTZ with the 1.4 Turbo. Great engine, feels strong and pulls well. Combined gas mileage so far is above 30 MPG in mostly city driving. Composed ride, car sticks to the road in turns. The car feels very solid, a pleasure to drive. Visibility is great. The media system works well, the phone operation, the media applications and the radio itself. Large screen provides a lot of information in a friendly and clear manner. Remote Link with OnStar allows you to start the engine from far, far away, all done via satellite. Tried to use the turn by turn directions via OnStar and it did work very well too, you can download your route via smartphone. Overall happy with the car.

Favorite Features

Engine. The way it drives. Visibility. Smartphone applications. Solid feel.

Warranty Issues
By riverview3

2013 Chevrolet Sonic Hatchback RS 4dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Excessive warranty issues. No heat issues couldn't be diagnosed until 3rd visit to dealer. Seating quality poor. Leather re stitched at dealer and seam reseated twice on rear seat. Mylink Bringo heated up Iphone enough via USB to cause phone damage.

Great Little Car
By icubarb

2013 Chevrolet Sonic Hatchback LTZ 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I bought this car 10 months ago. I have about 10,000 miles on it. I have the 2012 LTZ hatchback in Orange and love it.

Favorite Features

I was just out driving in the ice and snow in New York. As I was headed up a steep hill, I saw others slipping and sliding. My car started to slip as well but the traction came on and up the hill I went and straight and easily as could be. I have not changed the factory tires on the car. It was such a pleasure driving in those conditions I decided to take a few more trips around town and again on the icy roads, the traction came through for me. I am singing Sonic's praises!!! I also love the dual control heated seats, remote control start, and the hands free calling. About a month ago during stop and go traffic, I was rearended. The bumper held up well. No major dents!!!!

Suggested Improvements

Better blind spot configuration would be good.

Love my Sonic!
By kellyanne67

2013 Chevrolet Sonic Hatchback LTZ 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

The only thing that I do not like on this car would be the crappy tires that come from the factory. Even with traction control and just a tiny bit of snow there is no traction. I truly feel that better tires would make this car unstoppable. I have had a few issues with the bluetooth system and my phone. Some phones work better than others but I have not had my dealer check these issues yet. The car is easy to drive, gets around in traffic like a dream, and with the turbo, it can certainly keep up. Gas mileage is great. I'm getting around 35mpg on the highway consistently. I'll say so far so good. I've had the car almost a year and have around 15,500 miles on it.

Favorite Features

Heated seats, great gas mileage, comfortable back seat - even for tall people. More room than what it looks like. My 6ft tall husband fits in the car just fine.

Suggested Improvements

put better tires on from the factory - General Altimax would be a great choice.

Sonic Hatch LT with 1.4L
By jaar819

2013 Chevrolet Sonic Hatchback RS 4dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I thought the overall design of both the interior and exterior of the Sonic was very tastefully done. I liked it better than other cars in its class but this is obviously a matter of taste. The 1.4L turbo engine is smooth and fun, 6 speaker sound system which seemed better to me than other cars in class, MyLink system, body of car seemed extremely stiff, much better than Mini Clubman, the last car i owned. I know this because my driveway has a bump which puts torsional stress on the car. the mini creaked. the sonic does not. very smooth ride on highway. very low rpm of engine at highway speeds. very quiet car for subcompact. the suspension system makes car feel more like a luxury car.

Favorite Features

- overall design of both the interior and exterior, the 1.4L turbo engine, 6 speaker sound system, MyLink, rigid body, very smooth ride on highway, low rpm of engine at highway speeds, very quiet car for subcompact. the suspension system makes car feel more like a luxury car.

Suggested Improvements

After 2 months of owning the car I have no complaints. you can tell that the overall design of the sonic was thought through very well. I find it ironic that GM and Ford have become the more innovative, interesting companies while Honda and Toyota the more conservative and main-stay. It terms of future improvements, my main suggestion would be to continue to improve engine technology. I was close to buying the Mazada 3 because of the innovative engine, but preferred the Sonic over-all.