Sonic LT 1.4l Turbo Sedan
By pljenkins on
2012 Chevrolet Sonic LT 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)
After almost 3 weeks of trying to appropriate a Hyundai Accent SE with a manual transmission, I finally gave up and started looking around at alternatives in the price range. After much research I decided on the Sonic and I am very pleased. The build quality is top notch and the manual transmission is butter smooth and is by far the easiest clutch I have ever driven, and I've driven many. Road and wind noise is very quiet in spite of the miserly size of the car. The interior is reasonably roomy for this class of car, but it's no Continental. Trunk space is excellent. I went with the Sound and Connect package with the bluetooth and it synced up with little complaint with my LG Optimus.
Favorite Features
As mentioned before, this is the most forgiving clutch I have every operated. I have to really try to stall this thing off the line, and given the 1.4l engine, that's impressive. Hill Assist is effective for really big hills, but it takes some getting used to and with this clutch setup it's almost overkill. The 1.4l/turbo combo is a nice engine and the fuel economy is great. The turbo is inaudible and compliments the engine power and torque smoothly with the notable exception of starting off the line, where spool-up can cause a burst of power and make turns from a stop sporty if you're not paying attention. Interior is just sexy and the fit and finish is tight.
Suggested Improvements
Electronic assist steering is good at slow speeds, but it doesn't "back off" enough at highway speeds, with the result being that it is easy to overcorrect and "wander" around the lane. A coolant temperature gauge would be nice. Oddly there is none. The arm rest for the driver is too small and poorly placed. I am 5'9" and 220#, so I fit in the realm of "normal sized driver" and the arm rest is too close for me to rest my arm comfortably on it. Passenger seat does not have an arm rest, which is annoying. Stereo system could benefit from a small subwoofer. It has adequate output, but the quiet interior makes the lack of dynamic range noticeable.
By richguy1
on 06/29/12 21:36 PM (PDT)

Totally unhappy with this Car . I bought this car 3 weeks ago . The Car pulls to the right and left when driving . You have to hold the steering rigid when driving . The car sways on the highway when I am driving over 70 miles . The steering is rigid . I took the car in 2 times to the dealership . They said the steering is within factory specifications , but the last inspection revealed that the left rear wheel is off . I am taking it in for the third time in 4 weeks . It is no fun driving this car . I am seriously thinking of trading it up .