Decent little car that I recommend, but I had some issues
By donovan1983 on
2012 Chevrolet Sonic LT 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)
I got the base LT hatchback with no cruise control or bluetooth and with the 5-speed manual. It's a fun little car to drive due to handling and braking, though I came to dislike the drivetrain a bit. I took a lot of longer trips in the car and it is great for that, both in comfort and in gas mileage. I recently traded it in, however, mostly due to a need to get something with an automatic transmission so I could share the car and to get something a little larger. I feel build quality could have been a little better, though many of my issues could have been due to having a first-year model. Despite my issues I'd still recommend this car and think it's a great value.
Favorite Features
I consistently beat the EPA figures for gas mileage in this thing. 37MPG on the highway at 70MPH with the air conditioner on is quite realistic. The standard 6-speaker stereo sounds good enough. Interior is comfortable enough for long trips. Lots of interior room despite the small exterior. With the standard 15" alloy wheels replacement tires are plentiful and cheap. Handling is surprisingly fun and the brakes work well. I loved having automatic headlights with daytime running lights standard. Has a sharp and fun-looking exterior. Never failed to start nor left me stranded in the just over 2 years I owned it.
Suggested Improvements
The air conditioning worked okay but not particularly great despite bogging down the engine. The clutch has requires way too much pedal travel. The transmission is incredibly notchy and the shifter, even with upgraded bushings, is imprecise which makes shifting a chore after a while. Too much noise from the chassis, especially after a few thousand miles. Although I could still hold a conversation easily at highway speeds there was still an excess of wind noise. The stock tires are terrible and should be replaced ASAP. Some build quality issues and I've had a few too many visits to the dealership for them.