Used 2012 Chevrolet Sonic Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Chevrolet Sonic - Consumer Reviews

2012 Chevrolet Sonic

View reviews for a specific Sonic model:

Nothing Exciting
By nick_scott

2012 Chevrolet Sonic LTZ 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

We bought this car because of the price and advertised MPG. Since owning it, we have noticed that the MPG is no where near what it claims to be, as much at 7 MPG less at times. The look of the car is interesting to be kind. The front end is UGLY and the rest is bland. The inside has some nice features such as leather, heated seats, bluetooth, and power everything. However the cabin is very cramped and the driver seat is painful at times. The arm rests are at different heights which can be awkward. Do not expect to be comfortable if you weigh more than 150lbs. Performance of this car is a joke. The non-turbo has no throttle response at all and struggles on even small hills.

Favorite Features

Safety, and TECH

Suggested Improvements

Re design exterior and Driver seat area

I Wouldn't Buy One Again
By jaxjack92

2012 Chevrolet Sonic LT 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

For a small car the Sonic's fuel economy is poor. The car's computer claims I attain 5.6 mpg than I actually get. (eg the computer tells me I am averaging 30mpg when manual calculations reflect 24.4mpg. Pretty darn poor considering I drive 60% hwy. The car is comfortable for the driver & front passenger but if either is 6 feet or more only children will be comfortable in the back. Shifting gears in the automatic transmission is VERY noticeable & I only have 5,000 mi on the car.

Favorite Features

Bluetooth

Suggested Improvements

Chevrolet should install either accurate computers to report the avg mpg or issue "wheels of fortune" to buyers to determine the average mpg. Deceit is not becoming to Chevrolet.

Solid Dependable Economy Car-Love it!
By chevysonicfan

2012 Chevrolet Sonic LT 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I knew that purchasing The 2012 Chevy Sonic was a bit of a gamble as it was the first model year replacing the Aveo that only survived a two year run,and there weren't any consumer reports. My two prior cars were the Monte Carlo and the Impala; I was tired of getting fleeced at the gas pump with the 6 bangers though. In March I drove all the way from NH to FL and it was a comfortable ride. The car handles very well and has great fuel economy on the highway. It only costs me about $32 to fill up the tank, and I almost made it to PA on a single tank of gas! In retrospect I am happy I took the gamble with My Sonic LT! It is my 9th car and my 6th Chevy; I have never had a problem with a Chevy

Favorite Features

One of the things that first struck me about the Sonic(sedan, I don't care for the look of the hatchback) was the exterior design. It has a very neat, sharp appearance. The front headlamps and rear tail lights give it the appearance of a larger, more powerful vehicle. The interior control panel,air vents & glove box are unique. The Sonic has four cup holders in the front ; two between the front seats and one in each passenger door. In addition to the glove box, there are storage trays, credit card slots, and a mini glove box with a USB Charger. It has good pick up for a four banger, and compared to other 4 cylinders I've owned, there is hardly any road noise. The OnStar system is a God send!

Suggested Improvements

The only critical feedback I have for the 2012 Chevy Sonic is that it came with terrible stock tires. I have lived in New England my entire adult life and I have owned two 6 cylinders, and seven four cylinders. Last winter was the first time I had to buy snow tires to make it up the tiny hill to my home. This issue is clearly not the power of the car; it appears to be more a combination of the traction control and cheapo tires. After slapping four studded snow tires on it, the car could climb a wall. I have owned the car for about a year now and have already put 19, 000 miles on it; I haven't had a single problem other than the tires yet. I give it two thumbs up!!!

Awesome little car!
By sooogud

2012 Chevrolet Sonic LTZ 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

It's an awesome small car that doesn't drive like a small car. I've had it for over 7 months and 10,000 miles and it's been a great experience. The 6-speed manual turbo is a must for this car, though. I test drove the 5-speed auto 1.8L and it doesn't cut it for highway driving. The turbo engine is pretty responsive makes on-ramps and passing a blast. MPG is pretty decent at about 3640mpg on average, and that's not taking it easy on the accelerator. In cold weather (i.e., 32F or lower), however, mpg drops to about 3034mpg. Great little car, definite recommendation from my experience.

Favorite Features

The Turbo engine and the digital display cluster are likely my most favorite. Honorable mentions go to the smooth ride quality, heated seats, and bluetooth features.

Suggested Improvements

The sun visors are essentially useless for anything but direct sunlight since they dont swivel to the side well. I wish there was another USB port in the car, one doesn't cut it with extra passengers. I wish there was some more customization options for the display cluster. It would also be nice to see tire pressure easily. Any hang-ups I have with this car are minor.

I had hoped for more . . .
By kebleil

2012 Chevrolet Sonic LT 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

We purchased this car - actually it's the LT Turbo 6m - in July 2012. Right away we were disappointed with the mpg and the discrepancies with the digital read-out. On average, we probably get 2-3 mpg less than what the car says we do. It seems like the mpg's are all over the place as you read the reviews. Some getting fantastic - some getting terrible mileages. We are usually in the 30-32mpg range. What is confusing is that we got better mileage at first but it seems to be declining. We are nearly 7000 miles. The disappointment was accentuated when after 7 weeks of ownership we were pelted with extensive hail damage - not gm's fault, of course, but it lowered our excitement.

Favorite Features

We loved the color (clearcoat red) and the Sirius Radio. Wanted the car because of the information center and then very disappointed that it was lying to us. It's comfortable and seems more spacious than you would expect. Cargo space is very spacious. We didn't keep onstar - thought it was too expensive and had only used it a few times in the 6 mo trial period. Cupholders in the center console don't work for us. We usually carry a bottle of soda in the door pocket, which works okay.

Suggested Improvements

I don't know how they calculate the mileage for the digital display, but it seems irratic and is never accurate. Wish they would improve that - I don't know what their options are, but however it's happening now is unsatisfactory. Perhaps they could invent a hail repellant for it!