Used 2012 Chevrolet Sonic Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Chevrolet Sonic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonic model:

Decent little car that I recommend, but I had some issues
By donovan1983

2012 Chevrolet Sonic LT 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I got the base LT hatchback with no cruise control or bluetooth and with the 5-speed manual. It's a fun little car to drive due to handling and braking, though I came to dislike the drivetrain a bit. I took a lot of longer trips in the car and it is great for that, both in comfort and in gas mileage. I recently traded it in, however, mostly due to a need to get something with an automatic transmission so I could share the car and to get something a little larger. I feel build quality could have been a little better, though many of my issues could have been due to having a first-year model. Despite my issues I'd still recommend this car and think it's a great value.

I consistently beat the EPA figures for gas mileage in this thing. 37MPG on the highway at 70MPH with the air conditioner on is quite realistic. The standard 6-speaker stereo sounds good enough. Interior is comfortable enough for long trips. Lots of interior room despite the small exterior. With the standard 15" alloy wheels replacement tires are plentiful and cheap. Handling is surprisingly fun and the brakes work well. I loved having automatic headlights with daytime running lights standard. Has a sharp and fun-looking exterior. Never failed to start nor left me stranded in the just over 2 years I owned it.

The air conditioning worked okay but not particularly great despite bogging down the engine. The clutch has requires way too much pedal travel. The transmission is incredibly notchy and the shifter, even with upgraded bushings, is imprecise which makes shifting a chore after a while. Too much noise from the chassis, especially after a few thousand miles. Although I could still hold a conversation easily at highway speeds there was still an excess of wind noise. The stock tires are terrible and should be replaced ASAP. Some build quality issues and I've had a few too many visits to the dealership for them.

Plastic Toy Car!! DON'T BUY!!!
By carman_

2012 Chevrolet Sonic LT 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

Do not buy this car, I repeat do not buy this car!! This car is hunk of junk. The out side design and interior are unique and appealing, but don't let that suck you in. You feel every single bump no matter what, and the suspension is horrible. This Car Has Terrible heat, absolutely terrible. If you live in Canada like myself, stay clear. The gas mileage is good as it's 90% hwy driven. The gears shifting are very noticeable, and acceleration is very slow (1.8 L). The sound system is terrible and most LS, and LT's don't even come with rear speakers. Besides the appealing look it, its horrible to drive, It's like driving a plastic toy car! Not worth the $, buy a cobalt, anything, but not this!!

The design of the car is very smart looking, and the gas mileage is pretty decent. Plus the trunk is large (sedan).

The car needs a better heating system. I commute 30 minutes on the hwy into the city, and another back. I don't get any heat what so ever, it's more like semi cool air being blown (I've asked a friend if their heating in their sonic is the same and it is). The pillars along the wind shield need to be redesigned as they are major blind spots. The suspension needs to be improved because you feel every single bump, no matter how small. If the bump is a little larger you hear a loud thump as the rear tires drive over the bump. There is no leg room for passengers what so ever, no matter the age. The sun visors are useless, as they get in the way of your sight or they are too short!

Nothing Exciting
By nick_scott

2012 Chevrolet Sonic LTZ 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

We bought this car because of the price and advertised MPG. Since owning it, we have noticed that the MPG is no where near what it claims to be, as much at 7 MPG less at times. The look of the car is interesting to be kind. The front end is UGLY and the rest is bland. The inside has some nice features such as leather, heated seats, bluetooth, and power everything. However the cabin is very cramped and the driver seat is painful at times. The arm rests are at different heights which can be awkward. Do not expect to be comfortable if you weigh more than 150lbs. Performance of this car is a joke. The non-turbo has no throttle response at all and struggles on even small hills.

Safety, and TECH

Re design exterior and Driver seat area

I Wouldn't Buy One Again
By jaxjack92

2012 Chevrolet Sonic LT 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

For a small car the Sonic's fuel economy is poor. The car's computer claims I attain 5.6 mpg than I actually get. (eg the computer tells me I am averaging 30mpg when manual calculations reflect 24.4mpg. Pretty darn poor considering I drive 60% hwy. The car is comfortable for the driver & front passenger but if either is 6 feet or more only children will be comfortable in the back. Shifting gears in the automatic transmission is VERY noticeable & I only have 5,000 mi on the car.

Bluetooth

Chevrolet should install either accurate computers to report the avg mpg or issue "wheels of fortune" to buyers to determine the average mpg. Deceit is not becoming to Chevrolet.

Solid Dependable Economy Car-Love it!
By chevysonicfan

2012 Chevrolet Sonic LT 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I knew that purchasing The 2012 Chevy Sonic was a bit of a gamble as it was the first model year replacing the Aveo that only survived a two year run,and there weren't any consumer reports. My two prior cars were the Monte Carlo and the Impala; I was tired of getting fleeced at the gas pump with the 6 bangers though. In March I drove all the way from NH to FL and it was a comfortable ride. The car handles very well and has great fuel economy on the highway. It only costs me about $32 to fill up the tank, and I almost made it to PA on a single tank of gas! In retrospect I am happy I took the gamble with My Sonic LT! It is my 9th car and my 6th Chevy; I have never had a problem with a Chevy

One of the things that first struck me about the Sonic(sedan, I don't care for the look of the hatchback) was the exterior design. It has a very neat, sharp appearance. The front headlamps and rear tail lights give it the appearance of a larger, more powerful vehicle. The interior control panel,air vents & glove box are unique. The Sonic has four cup holders in the front ; two between the front seats and one in each passenger door. In addition to the glove box, there are storage trays, credit card slots, and a mini glove box with a USB Charger. It has good pick up for a four banger, and compared to other 4 cylinders I've owned, there is hardly any road noise. The OnStar system is a God send!

The only critical feedback I have for the 2012 Chevy Sonic is that it came with terrible stock tires. I have lived in New England my entire adult life and I have owned two 6 cylinders, and seven four cylinders. Last winter was the first time I had to buy snow tires to make it up the tiny hill to my home. This issue is clearly not the power of the car; it appears to be more a combination of the traction control and cheapo tires. After slapping four studded snow tires on it, the car could climb a wall. I have owned the car for about a year now and have already put 19, 000 miles on it; I haven't had a single problem other than the tires yet. I give it two thumbs up!!!