Used 2012 Chevrolet Sonic Sedan Consumer Reviews - 27 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Chevrolet Sonic Sedan - Consumer Reviews

2012 Chevrolet Sonic Sedan

View reviews for a specific Sonic model:

Critics Overlook this Valuable Car
By sonicdriver

2012 Chevrolet Sonic Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This was my first new car purchase after college. I've grown up driving Hyundai, Mercury, Ford, etc, but never a Chevrolet. The dealer and service support is fantastic, and this car is worth every penny. After 50k miles, I've only needed one minor repair on the fuel valve, and the warranty covered everything. This car has some road noise, but that's what happens when you're in a small, fast car low to the ground on the highway. Yes, gas and brakes are sensitive in the best way possible - I've lived in Dallas for four years and have never gotten in an accident, thanks to the amazing brake response. Acceleration is super easy - I've caught myself speeding a few times without meaning to. The car handles well and the alignment is still perfect four years after purchasing. The A/C is super efficient and the sound system is decent enough. There is major storage space. The only drawback is that the car IS little, so not perfect for roadtrips of 4 or more people, considering rear seat space. The size of the car makes up for it since there's no parking space too small for this car, but it totally doesn't feel like a small car from the driver or front passenger seat. Perfect for families of three or less. My average MPG in the DFW area is around 32, but gets up to 45 on long road trips. Definitely would buy again.

Great car, handles very well
By Marie Houk Houk

Should have bought a Ford
By Diane Shafer

2012 Chevrolet Sonic Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

First thing I noticed was the headrests were too high to see over. I was told I would get about 30+ mpg. I get maybe 24, pushing it, and I drive mostly highway. There was a recall on the transmission and I had it repaired in 2014. In 2015, the transmission went out, and so did the brakes. The wiper blades are custom, and cost anywhere from $35 on up. Very disappointing and if I didn't want to get this thing paid off and not deal with a payment again, I would have gotten rid of it.

Should have kept looking
By Diane

2012 Chevrolet Sonic Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

There was a recall on this car for the transmission 2 years after I purchased it. It was repaired. The next year, I was driving to work and noticed when I put my foot on the gas, it didn't sound right. About a mile later, the car began making an extremely loud noise then stopped running. Luckily, I had just gotten off the highway (rush hour traffic). The car was towed and the repair shop diagnosed it as the transmission. Again, it was repaired. I'm still not pleased with how the car sounds and no longer trust it to go on a long trip. Also, I was told gas mileage was close to 30 miles to a gallon. It's not even close to that, even on highway driving. I've had problems with the tires regularly needing air, even shortly after purchasing the car. Just too many problems for a new car.

LOVE MY SONIC
By Judy hammond

2012 Chevrolet Sonic Sedan LTZ 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I'm retired, and this is almost the best fun I've ever had, driving. I had a '78 Mustang Cobra in my younger years, so that's hard to beat. But I LOVE my 2012 Sonic! The only thing I wish is that it has cruise control, and all the ports for cell phone and other things the newer cars have. My fault. I didn't realize they came with that stuff, and I forgot to check out the cruise control feature, because I was having so much fun when I test drove it. It's a hatchback and I toted an 8' x 2' x 1" board home with me for an entertainment system I built. Just about as good as a little truck, which is what I was looking for. Love all the little storage features it includes.

Can't say enough good about my Sonic, which I've had for about three months. Whoever designed it had women in mind! I've already taken it on three long trips. Ohio to NC twice, and Ohio to Syracuse NY once. I went 70 mph with no problems, and it's a whole lot of fun to drive.

In a few years, if I'm still on this planet, I'll be looking to get a newer Sonic with cruise!