Used 2012 Chevrolet Sonic Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Chevrolet Sonic Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonic model:

Things start falling appart
By wilhitejm

2012 Chevrolet Sonic Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I drive about 120 miles per day and do get a little better gas mileage than my last car. The problem is the gas tank is so small I have to fuel up every other day, although the tank is smaller than my last car. My check engine light started coming on recently and I had the codes checked, indicating an oxygen sensor. I checked and the bold that holds the bracket and wiring for the oxygen sensor had fallen out and was gone leaving the oxygen sensor cable on the hot manifold. Can't find the bolt so I have it zip tied to a little loop on the engine. I have checked some forums and it is common on the Sonic and Cruz (same motor) The engine over temp light started coming on as well.

Exterior styling is nice for a small car.

Fix the wind noise around doors, better sound-proofing. Way too loud in the car. Speakers/stereo sound horrible. Car is very unsteady and can "dart" around.

33k on 2012 Sonic
By gnonnemacher

2012 Chevrolet Sonic Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

Bought this car new. Stock tires are useless in MI winters, so 4 snows are used in winter. Still gets 30+ mpg with snows! Good equipment package on LT models. We just got back from a trip to the UP of Michigan. Got 38.5 mpg overall and its rated at 35 hwy. I'm picky about my cars and this one has had minor damage and repairs (others fault) twice. Drives very well at highway speeds and has usable seating for four. Holds a good amount of cargo with rear seats folded down, even in the sedan. No mechanical problems or issues to date. My only complaint is that it is not very forgiving on rough roads and we have a lot of those around here.

Remote start in Winter. AC in summer.

1.3 turbo diesel option like overseas... Easily would get 50+ mpg.

Plastic Toy Car!! DON'T BUY!!!
By carman_

2012 Chevrolet Sonic Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

Do not buy this car, I repeat do not buy this car!! This car is hunk of junk. The out side design and interior are unique and appealing, but don't let that suck you in. You feel every single bump no matter what, and the suspension is horrible. This Car Has Terrible heat, absolutely terrible. If you live in Canada like myself, stay clear. The gas mileage is good as it's 90% hwy driven. The gears shifting are very noticeable, and acceleration is very slow (1.8 L). The sound system is terrible and most LS, and LT's don't even come with rear speakers. Besides the appealing look it, its horrible to drive, It's like driving a plastic toy car! Not worth the $, buy a cobalt, anything, but not this!!

The design of the car is very smart looking, and the gas mileage is pretty decent. Plus the trunk is large (sedan).

The car needs a better heating system. I commute 30 minutes on the hwy into the city, and another back. I don't get any heat what so ever, it's more like semi cool air being blown (I've asked a friend if their heating in their sonic is the same and it is). The pillars along the wind shield need to be redesigned as they are major blind spots. The suspension needs to be improved because you feel every single bump, no matter how small. If the bump is a little larger you hear a loud thump as the rear tires drive over the bump. There is no leg room for passengers what so ever, no matter the age. The sun visors are useless, as they get in the way of your sight or they are too short!

Nothing Exciting
By nick_scott

2012 Chevrolet Sonic Sedan LTZ 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

We bought this car because of the price and advertised MPG. Since owning it, we have noticed that the MPG is no where near what it claims to be, as much at 7 MPG less at times. The look of the car is interesting to be kind. The front end is UGLY and the rest is bland. The inside has some nice features such as leather, heated seats, bluetooth, and power everything. However the cabin is very cramped and the driver seat is painful at times. The arm rests are at different heights which can be awkward. Do not expect to be comfortable if you weigh more than 150lbs. Performance of this car is a joke. The non-turbo has no throttle response at all and struggles on even small hills.

Safety, and TECH

Re design exterior and Driver seat area

Solid Dependable Economy Car-Love it!
By chevysonicfan

2012 Chevrolet Sonic Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I knew that purchasing The 2012 Chevy Sonic was a bit of a gamble as it was the first model year replacing the Aveo that only survived a two year run,and there weren't any consumer reports. My two prior cars were the Monte Carlo and the Impala; I was tired of getting fleeced at the gas pump with the 6 bangers though. In March I drove all the way from NH to FL and it was a comfortable ride. The car handles very well and has great fuel economy on the highway. It only costs me about $32 to fill up the tank, and I almost made it to PA on a single tank of gas! In retrospect I am happy I took the gamble with My Sonic LT! It is my 9th car and my 6th Chevy; I have never had a problem with a Chevy

One of the things that first struck me about the Sonic(sedan, I don't care for the look of the hatchback) was the exterior design. It has a very neat, sharp appearance. The front headlamps and rear tail lights give it the appearance of a larger, more powerful vehicle. The interior control panel,air vents & glove box are unique. The Sonic has four cup holders in the front ; two between the front seats and one in each passenger door. In addition to the glove box, there are storage trays, credit card slots, and a mini glove box with a USB Charger. It has good pick up for a four banger, and compared to other 4 cylinders I've owned, there is hardly any road noise. The OnStar system is a God send!

The only critical feedback I have for the 2012 Chevy Sonic is that it came with terrible stock tires. I have lived in New England my entire adult life and I have owned two 6 cylinders, and seven four cylinders. Last winter was the first time I had to buy snow tires to make it up the tiny hill to my home. This issue is clearly not the power of the car; it appears to be more a combination of the traction control and cheapo tires. After slapping four studded snow tires on it, the car could climb a wall. I have owned the car for about a year now and have already put 19, 000 miles on it; I haven't had a single problem other than the tires yet. I give it two thumbs up!!!