2012 Chevrolet Sonic Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonic model:
Decent little car that I recommend, but I had some issues
By donovan1983 on 07/09/14 05:34 AM (PDT)

2012 Chevrolet Sonic Hatchback LT 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I got the base LT hatchback with no cruise control or bluetooth and with the 5-speed manual. It's a fun little car to drive due to handling and braking, though I came to dislike the drivetrain a bit. I took a lot of longer trips in the car and it is great for that, both in comfort and in gas mileage. I recently traded it in, however, mostly due to a need to get something with an automatic transmission so I could share the car and to get something a little larger. I feel build quality could have been a little better, though many of my issues could have been due to having a first-year model. Despite my issues I'd still recommend this car and think it's a great value.

I had hoped for more . . .
By kebleil on 01/22/13 21:57 PM (PST)

2012 Chevrolet Sonic Hatchback LT 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

We purchased this car - actually it's the LT Turbo 6m - in July 2012. Right away we were disappointed with the mpg and the discrepancies with the digital read-out. On average, we probably get 2-3 mpg less than what the car says we do. It seems like the mpg's are all over the place as you read the reviews. Some getting fantastic - some getting terrible mileages. We are usually in the 30-32mpg range. What is confusing is that we got better mileage at first but it seems to be declining. We are nearly 7000 miles. The disappointment was accentuated when after 7 weeks of ownership we were pelted with extensive hail damage - not gm's fault, of course, but it lowered our excitement.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Chevrolet Sonic Hatchback in VA is:

$144 per month*