2012 Chevrolet Sonic Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonic model:
Decent little car that I recommend, but I had some issues
By donovan1983 on 07/09/14 05:34 AM (PDT)

2012 Chevrolet Sonic Hatchback LT 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I got the base LT hatchback with no cruise control or bluetooth and with the 5-speed manual. It's a fun little car to drive due to handling and braking, though I came to dislike the drivetrain a bit. I took a lot of longer trips in the car and it is great for that, both in comfort and in gas mileage. I recently traded it in, however, mostly due to a need to get something with an automatic transmission so I could share the car and to get something a little larger. I feel build quality could have been a little better, though many of my issues could have been due to having a first-year model. Despite my issues I'd still recommend this car and think it's a great value.

I Wouldn't Buy One Again
By jaxjack92 on 10/25/13 12:24 PM (PDT)

2012 Chevrolet Sonic Hatchback LT 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

For a small car the Sonic's fuel economy is poor. The car's computer claims I attain 5.6 mpg than I actually get. (eg the computer tells me I am averaging 30mpg when manual calculations reflect 24.4mpg. Pretty darn poor considering I drive 60% hwy. The car is comfortable for the driver & front passenger but if either is 6 feet or more only children will be comfortable in the back. Shifting gears in the automatic transmission is VERY noticeable & I only have 5,000 mi on the car.

I had hoped for more . . .
By kebleil on 01/22/13 21:57 PM (PST)

2012 Chevrolet Sonic Hatchback LT 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

We purchased this car - actually it's the LT Turbo 6m - in July 2012. Right away we were disappointed with the mpg and the discrepancies with the digital read-out. On average, we probably get 2-3 mpg less than what the car says we do. It seems like the mpg's are all over the place as you read the reviews. Some getting fantastic - some getting terrible mileages. We are usually in the 30-32mpg range. What is confusing is that we got better mileage at first but it seems to be declining. We are nearly 7000 miles. The disappointment was accentuated when after 7 weeks of ownership we were pelted with extensive hail damage - not gm's fault, of course, but it lowered our excitement.

LOVE my Sonic!
By lagrinceri on 01/10/13 15:22 PM (PST)

2012 Chevrolet Sonic Hatchback LT 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I bought my Sonic LT Hatch in April and I've loved every minute of it. From it's exterior design that stands out daily, to the comfortable interior with neat features (came with the bluetooth and conv package) I wouldn't change my mind for anything. I spent a year+ researching cars and I finally found a match with the Sonic. Coming from a 2005 Ford Focus manual, it was different getting used to the automatic transmission. Once you get past that hump, it's a win-win for everyone.

Love my Sonic!
By krystalhoffman on 12/09/12 20:41 PM (PST)

2012 Chevrolet Sonic Hatchback LT 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I absolutely love my Chevy Sonic Hatchback. It's extremely fun to drive, has great MPG (35-40 for me), has great handling, and is comfortable. It's an inexpensive car that has some great features like Bluetooth and such. The main problems I've had with this car are the tires. I have had 11 flat tires in 10 months. They seem to go flat for no reason, so I'm hoping it's just the stock tires on it. I've also had a few other problems with parts breaking. I drive my car pretty hard though (being a teenager in Wyoming), so it's not surprising. Luckily, my warranty covered nearly everything.

Hits the mark
By knobbytire on 12/02/12 12:55 PM (PST)

2012 Chevrolet Sonic Hatchback LTZ 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I replaced a very troublesome Mazda 5 with a Sonic LTZ hatchback. I'm averaging right around 40 MPG, and once was getting 52 MPG and my worst fuel economy on a tank was 33 MPG. It handles nicely, is efficient on interior space and fits really well into a small garage. it's comfy enough that we packed the entire family in the car and made a 13 hour road trip. With 5000 miles on it, I've had no problems, and it doesn't even have any rattles. The Bluetooth and hands free is great, though I wish you could control an iPhone from the steering wheel.

Great value, fun to drive
By davejet on 08/07/12 13:05 PM (PDT)

2012 Chevrolet Sonic Hatchback LTZ 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

My primary criteria for a new car were that it be small and four-wheel down towable behind my motor home. I narrowed my choice to the Honda Fit and Chevrolet Sonic. It looked at and drove both cars in the top trim levels. I purchased the Sonic because I got much more car for less money. I couldn’t be happier with my decision. The Sonic is fun to drive, has plenty of power and has all the bells and whistles including Bluetooth for the phone, automatic headlights, cruise control, etc. There is no wind noise on the freeway and the ride is extremely smooth. I don’t realize I’m doing 75 until I look at the digital speedometer. After several weeks with most new cars, I usually have a list of fixit items for the dealer. There is no list for the Sonic. I paid 18, 372 for the car.

Don't fall for the lies!
By jimmymoon on 08/05/12 22:33 PM (PDT)

2012 Chevrolet Sonic Hatchback LT 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

Chevrolet loves to boast the claim that their little bucket of plastic known as the Chevy Sonic LT will blast the streets gnabbing a low mileage of 25mpg City, but let me tell you now, that's a straight of fallacy. I've owned one of these P.O.S. since decemeber, when they were 17,000. This craptacular ride gets maybe a whopping 19 miles per every gallon, and all chevy claims is that there is nothing wrong! Mind you I've taken every avenue they've suggested, tried using fuel from their suggested stations, and even went so far as to try a few cleaners. Not a thing has brought me over that 19mpg threshhold. If you're thinking about buying this car, DON'T Chevy will not stand behind it.

Great Buy
By stompthegas on 07/12/12 09:31 AM (PDT)

2012 Chevrolet Sonic Hatchback LS 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned a string of Japanese cars for the past 20 years including 2 Camrys, Corolla, Sequioa, Maxima, Infinti, Sentra, Frontier plus a few domestics, Cavalier, Corsica, Dakota RT, Durango, Contour V6, Corvette, and a Taurus. I grew up up on Pintos, Dusters, and other rust buckets. Plus I have rented 100's of car of all various makes and models. This is by far the biggest bang for the buck I have ever owned or drove. I have the base model purchased at a steep discount but the car still far exceeds my expectations. The 1.8 engine combined with the manual 5 speed is a hoot to drive. It feels quick, handles great, and is reasonably comfortable and quiet.

6 speed manual 1.4 sonic
By igelbuki on 03/29/12 03:48 AM (PDT)

2012 Chevrolet Sonic Hatchback LS 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Now with 1100 miles on sonic, and hiway driving at 68 mph is 41-42 mpg. Plenty of acceleration when needed, and the ride is comfortable.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Chevrolet Sonic Hatchback in VA is:

$154 per month*