Used 2012 Chevrolet Sonic Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 20 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Chevrolet Sonic Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonic model:

1.4 turbo 6 speed manual
By Mark Sicafuse

2012 Chevrolet Sonic Hatchback LTZ 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

This car is fun to drive. No mechanical issues other than sway bar links covered under warranty. Sport package with 17" wheels not super great in northeast Ohio winters but the other 10 months a joy to drive and own .

2012 Sonic LT
By D. Meeks

2012 Chevrolet Sonic Hatchback LS 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

Bought it. Love it!

not worth it!
By Emily

2012 Chevrolet Sonic Hatchback LS 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

The gas and brake pedals are super sensitive. This car also sucks on gas. Im putting $10 in every other day and im only renting the car while mine is being fixed. I would definitely not recommend this carm

Don't waist your hard earned money on this pile
By christina

2012 Chevrolet Sonic Hatchback LT 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

the same tire is loosing air as before I got the tires rotated. I scheduled my appointment a week in advance for the recall of the stereo, oil change and rotation. I know they didn't rotate the tires. I have a monthly update for my brand new car from on star services and the same tire is loosing air as before the rotation and oil change. I have proof. and the crackle in my driver side speakers is still happening. I told them when I was there. no one said anything about it, it was just on the reciept(checked speakers and everything is fine) .. it's not fine, it crackles.. BRAND NEW CAR CRACKLES!!
ever since I purchased the BRAND NEW CAR I have had nothing but trouble!! it handles HORRIBLY! ! WORST CAR I'VE EVER OWNED OUT OF 6!!! I told Matt when I had 5,000 miles on it 2 months later and the most they could exchange it for was 13,000 out of the 18,000 I spent =, ( I HATE my sonic. biggest rip off ! feel like I was stolen from! chevy should discontinue this pieve of trash!!! taking turns on the express way is scary in this pile of junk!! in my brand new car!!!!!! that I'm 15,000 in debt for! can't believe now crackle the radio is when I haven't even turned it up past half way!! OOO AND I PUT THOUGH A CAR WASH AND SOME OF THE PAINT CAME OFFFFFF MY BRAND NEWWWWW CARRRRRR!!!!!!!! BUMPS AND TURNS R PAINFUL!!! DO NOT EVER BUY A SONIC!! EVERYONE WHO HAS ONE HATES IT!!!

5dr Sonic Turbo Automatic
By John

2012 Chevrolet Sonic Hatchback LT 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I did not pick this car - though I got it brand new - very grateful. But want to save potential buyers from getting duped. This turbo engine is very dangerous to drive - terrible lag. And car will not move when temperature is high. Seems to be worst at 100 degrees or above- but noticeable by 95. Do NOT buy a turbo of you live in a desert climate! Besides danger- it gets 16 mpg city and less than 30 hwy when it is hot! Dealer refuses to address issue or stand behind this car. Has been doing this since new. High temps means dangerous car with horrible gas mileage. I believe it is a design flaw. Also I have had a water pump and broken AC already . Car has 30k from commute and I've only used premium oil and taken meticulous care of it. Transmission is now going nuts and the entire car rattles like a 67 Buick. Again hwy miles and never abused. I wanted to like this car and give Chevrolet a chance...but after two years I can say I'd never buy another Chevrolet. Back to German, or Japanese:Korean if economy. Sonic is very safe and comfortable , spacious and quiet cabin, and has lots of features...but unfortunately the quality just isn't there. I doubt this vehicle will be running to 100 k miles. (Even with most all miles be freeway.) in addition trade in value is already 8 grand on this premium level car( a comparable Honda Fit would be worth much much more. Very high depreciation on sonic as they have become rental cars across the United States I guess) Bottom line is if you DO buy a sonic do not buy the turbo. Yes it's more fun to drive because of torque but is annoyingly slow off the line always - and dangerously slow when engine temp is affected by summer weather. I wouldn't recommend anyone buy a Sonic. 16 MPG in town and the dealer says car is fine? Speaks volumes of Chevrolet product.