Used 2012 Chevrolet Sonic LT Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Chevrolet Sonic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonic model:

Decent little car that I recommend, but I had some issues
By donovan1983

2012 Chevrolet Sonic LT 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I got the base LT hatchback with no cruise control or bluetooth and with the 5-speed manual. It's a fun little car to drive due to handling and braking, though I came to dislike the drivetrain a bit. I took a lot of longer trips in the car and it is great for that, both in comfort and in gas mileage. I recently traded it in, however, mostly due to a need to get something with an automatic transmission so I could share the car and to get something a little larger. I feel build quality could have been a little better, though many of my issues could have been due to having a first-year model. Despite my issues I'd still recommend this car and think it's a great value.

I consistently beat the EPA figures for gas mileage in this thing. 37MPG on the highway at 70MPH with the air conditioner on is quite realistic. The standard 6-speaker stereo sounds good enough. Interior is comfortable enough for long trips. Lots of interior room despite the small exterior. With the standard 15" alloy wheels replacement tires are plentiful and cheap. Handling is surprisingly fun and the brakes work well. I loved having automatic headlights with daytime running lights standard. Has a sharp and fun-looking exterior. Never failed to start nor left me stranded in the just over 2 years I owned it.

The air conditioning worked okay but not particularly great despite bogging down the engine. The clutch has requires way too much pedal travel. The transmission is incredibly notchy and the shifter, even with upgraded bushings, is imprecise which makes shifting a chore after a while. Too much noise from the chassis, especially after a few thousand miles. Although I could still hold a conversation easily at highway speeds there was still an excess of wind noise. The stock tires are terrible and should be replaced ASAP. Some build quality issues and I've had a few too many visits to the dealership for them.

I had hoped for more . . .
By kebleil

2012 Chevrolet Sonic LT 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

We purchased this car - actually it's the LT Turbo 6m - in July 2012. Right away we were disappointed with the mpg and the discrepancies with the digital read-out. On average, we probably get 2-3 mpg less than what the car says we do. It seems like the mpg's are all over the place as you read the reviews. Some getting fantastic - some getting terrible mileages. We are usually in the 30-32mpg range. What is confusing is that we got better mileage at first but it seems to be declining. We are nearly 7000 miles. The disappointment was accentuated when after 7 weeks of ownership we were pelted with extensive hail damage - not gm's fault, of course, but it lowered our excitement.

We loved the color (clearcoat red) and the Sirius Radio. Wanted the car because of the information center and then very disappointed that it was lying to us. It's comfortable and seems more spacious than you would expect. Cargo space is very spacious. We didn't keep onstar - thought it was too expensive and had only used it a few times in the 6 mo trial period. Cupholders in the center console don't work for us. We usually carry a bottle of soda in the door pocket, which works okay.

I don't know how they calculate the mileage for the digital display, but it seems irratic and is never accurate. Wish they would improve that - I don't know what their options are, but however it's happening now is unsatisfactory. Perhaps they could invent a hail repellant for it!