Used 2012 Chevrolet Sonic Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Chevrolet Sonic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonic model:

Should have bought a Ford
By Diane Shafer

2012 Chevrolet Sonic LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

First thing I noticed was the headrests were too high to see over. I was told I would get about 30+ mpg. I get maybe 24, pushing it, and I drive mostly highway. There was a recall on the transmission and I had it repaired in 2014. In 2015, the transmission went out, and so did the brakes. The wiper blades are custom, and cost anywhere from $35 on up. Very disappointing and if I didn't want to get this thing paid off and not deal with a payment again, I would have gotten rid of it.

2012 Sonic LT
By D. Meeks

2012 Chevrolet Sonic LS 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

Bought it. Love it!

Should have kept looking
By Diane

2012 Chevrolet Sonic LT 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

There was a recall on this car for the transmission 2 years after I purchased it. It was repaired. The next year, I was driving to work and noticed when I put my foot on the gas, it didn't sound right. About a mile later, the car began making an extremely loud noise then stopped running. Luckily, I had just gotten off the highway (rush hour traffic). The car was towed and the repair shop diagnosed it as the transmission. Again, it was repaired. I'm still not pleased with how the car sounds and no longer trust it to go on a long trip. Also, I was told gas mileage was close to 30 miles to a gallon. It's not even close to that, even on highway driving. I've had problems with the tires regularly needing air, even shortly after purchasing the car. Just too many problems for a new car.

not worth it!
By Emily

2012 Chevrolet Sonic LS 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

The gas and brake pedals are super sensitive. This car also sucks on gas. Im putting $10 in every other day and im only renting the car while mine is being fixed. I would definitely not recommend this carm

LOVE MY SONIC
By Judy hammond

2012 Chevrolet Sonic LTZ 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I'm retired, and this is almost the best fun I've ever had, driving. I had a '78 Mustang Cobra in my younger years, so that's hard to beat. But I LOVE my 2012 Sonic! The only thing I wish is that it has cruise control, and all the ports for cell phone and other things the newer cars have. My fault. I didn't realize they came with that stuff, and I forgot to check out the cruise control feature, because I was having so much fun when I test drove it. It's a hatchback and I toted an 8' x 2' x 1" board home with me for an entertainment system I built. Just about as good as a little truck, which is what I was looking for. Love all the little storage features it includes. Can't say enough good about my Sonic, which I've had for about three months. Whoever designed it had women in mind! I've already taken it on three long trips. Ohio to NC twice, and Ohio to Syracuse NY once. I went 70 mph with no problems, and it's a whole lot of fun to drive. In a few years, if I'm still on this planet, I'll be looking to get a newer Sonic with cruise!

• SUV